Profile Picture

Turbocharged 292 stroker!!!

Posted By Hutz 292 13 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago

We started by simply swapping the headers side to side so they are facing forward.  It worked very well.

Built the y-pipe up to the flange.

Y-pipe with the waste gate.

Turbo location from the top.  Drivers side.  We will run the air cleaner out the fender well and build some shielding to protect it from the water.

The intercooler sits inbetween the radiator and radiator support like it was made for and intercooler.  Bought a pressure plenum from jegs and some intercooler piping kit and only had to use two pieces.

The blow off valve is right above the turbo.

Turbo fits nicely between engine and frame.  We are planning on running about 8psi boost.  I have a 900cfm Holley TBI fuel injection kit on it and we are going to convert it to E85.  I will keep u updated as we get further along.

Found a nice spot in the fender well for the air filter.  We built a box out a stock cummins air box so it is sealled up really nice now.  Cut a hole behind headlight for cold air intake.

My new gauge assembly from Dakota Digital.  It is crazy awesome.  I would recommend them to anyone.  Comes with everyhting you need and uses existing blinker signal, fuel sender and high beam wires.

Our new toy from down under!!

Don't worry once my bigger injectors get here I will be giving some results.  Looks good on it don't it.

Still needs some tuning but not a bad run. Dynotech by Dyno Dynamics.

Hollow Head
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
How are you going to arrange oil return from the turbo? Nice work and good to see more people dealing with turbos and efi set ups Smile.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
www.hollowheads.net (just click the hole in the head to proceed)
Hutz 292
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)

If you look at my pic of the y-pipe you can see the oil drain will go right into the top of the oil pan.  We will t into the heater hoses for the coolant for the turbo.  I will just have to leave my heater valve open all the time.  I cannot wait to hear it run.  Right now I just have a 3in straight pipe.  The waste gate will just dump behind the engine.  If it's too loud we will tie it into the exhaust.  Might be ready to start it tomorrow.  Very excited will let you know how it runs.
charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 26 minutes ago
Make sure that the oil return is above the oil level in the pan and has at least a slight slope downhill.

Lawrenceville, GA
NoShortcuts
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

CONGRATULATIONS on your engineering, fabrication efforts, and accomplishment! Looks good! Smile

Will you use any type of a screen over the impeller in that last picture?

Best Wishes!

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Hollow Head
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Grhmmm... that is the turbine wheel in that last picture. Compressor wheel AKA impeller wheel is on the other side BigGrin. Well, one could think down pipe as a screen over the open hole.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
Hutz 292
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

We have the down pipe and filter built I will have more pics tomorrow.  It turned out great.  We had to reengineer the exhuast down pipe today to clear the front diff.  Tomorrow is the day we will fire it up.  There is going to be some significant tuning to do because we switched over to E85 and we now added the turbo.  We will bump the fuel pressure up to 40psi from 20psi.  Also added a external fuel pressure regulator to work with the change in manifold pressure.  Will definately let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. 
Hollow Head
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

You will end up to buy at least 30 % larger fuel injectors BigGrin. Current injectors may be open all the time with lots of pressure. You will get it running, but will not get it tuned to high rpms. Trust me, we have faced the same problem. Our eight 30 llbs/hr injectors run out of capacity after 330 HP and 630 Nm at 5300 rpm with pump gas. With E85 you will need about 90 lbs/hr or even much more... w00t. Good Luck and take some videos to show us.

Ah, sorry... you have 900 cfm Holley Tbi. Really don't know how much fuel it will deliver.

LordMrFord
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (11/10/2011)
We will bump the fuel pressure up to 40psi from 20psi.

What is max pressure rating for injectors if you can double the current?

Hyvinkää, FI
Hollow Head
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Simo, you remember when at dyno, we tried about 45-50 psi and then the injectors started flooding. 40 psi equals 2.7 bar of pressure. 20 psi is very low 1.4 bar.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter