Turbocharged 292 stroker!!!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic65469.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Glen Henderson - 12 Years Ago
I have done a little research on E85 since 110 race gas is going for $10.50 a gal around here. I think it avg's around 105 octane, but it depends on the time of year and where you are.
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
I think you are going too find the weak link, if you can get that beast to hook!
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
An orginal four wheel drive slick in that condition is worth quite a lot of cabbage! My suggestion is drive it while looking for something more approiate for that much power, roller race cars can be found for cheap these days.
By Jim Rowe - 11 Years Ago
What a motor. BOOM? you didn't blow it up?

Hope not.

Enjoy
Jim
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Turns out the octane rating of E-85 is higher than you might think. RB worked with this a year or so back. He may be a source on relative timing and Jetting. I know it's going to require more fuel than it would on Gasoline. But with 85% alcohol it'll run a lot cooler than gas and burn slower. will need more than 22 degrees I'd bet
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Royce,

What about the supposed corrosive effects. Is it really an issue?w00t

By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
[Engines really like this stuff Burns cool and clean.. And your race car smells like stale beer[/quote]

HMMM.........................Wonder if I can find jets big enough for my Edelbrock?

By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Have your machinist be careful not to machine the pistons too much. You'll need at least .200'' wall thickness left on the piston tops. And that's pushing it at 18/20 #. 
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Charlie,

We have a couple around here that run high 13's with bolt ons Exhaust, cold air etc. Where they really rock is out of the hole with the 4 wheel drive thing.

By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I don't know about Southern trucks, hopefully it's a good rust free example, but up here most of them have gone to the graveyard because the frames became too rusty to drive. Make sure to check everything in the front, around the motor mount and streering areas of the frame. I tried to repair one a couple years ago, Lasted about 6 months then tore itself apart. This was a lifted "Big Tire" truck just like yours.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
w00tThe two wheel deal might work. I'd love to see it in a reinforced frame, short wheel base truck. That could be spectacular!
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I love those torque numbers, that's diesel territory.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
On my 57 I had to re-enforce the original spring pads as well. I wound up plating them with 3/16 steel and extending the rear portion back a couple inches over the spring to prevent the housing from rotating. I'd consider a 3 or 4 link or ladder bars in your case. The torque numbers are way more than leaf springs are going to be able to handle.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
How did you run all the instruments etc. without the computer?
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I'll bet someone makes an electric sending unit for the speedo, the rest could be old style mechanical/electrical add ons/
By GREENBIRD56 - 12 Years Ago
What diameter are these push rods? - mechanical column strength is based on the tube OD, so aren't the Isky pushrods out at 3/8 diameter.....?
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Any chance the cylinder was under pressure and hydraulic'd? Chuck
I think you are correct in basic theory Charlie but there are examples that seem to indicate the Y, if correctly prepped, will take a lot of boost. My new block was in a boat with a 6v-71 GMC supercharger on it. Ted can possibly shed some light on this.
As far as the twin turbo is concerned I just wondered if there was a shot of fuel or something that would hold back the piston on restart and cause the two bent push rods. Perhaps the piston to wall clearence needs opened up a bit. The extra heat that is generated after a hard pass and shut down could cause expansion of the piston slug causing it to drag in the block. They say it ran fine all the way through and on the way back. It was on a later restart that the miss developed.
Of course you know I'm no expert and not really that informed about these things. All I can do is recall the past and theorize the cause. I just want to see some 9's and maybe 8's out of this awesome rig. Chuck
HollowHead,

While replying to Charlie I recalled a situation with piston clearence being to tight and causing the piston to drag in the hole after shut down. When you make a hard pass and go straight back to the pits and shut the engine off the heat will build some. Just a thought. When I was in Hawaii I helped out a fellow with a 71 Firebird running an Oldsmobile engine. Basicly a Super Stock car. After a pass we had a quick disconnect water inlet on the block and carried a water tank with a 12V electric pump in the chase vehicle. Once connected the radiator drain was opened. As we towed the car back to the pits the hot water ran out and was replaced with cooler water. We never had a problem with the pistons again and were on top for quick turn arounds during eliminations. We always started with a cool block. Just a thought, I'm sure the Twin Turbo's make some heat. Chuck

By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Are you going to play in the mud with it? Awesome horsepower! Chuck
We have such a wide span of users here. Some are stock or modified daily drivers some are show cars some are drag cars and we even have at least one round D round dirt track car and a couple of NASCAR replicas. So adding a mud truck would just expand our many horizons.
And another camp heard from. Didn't think about pulling. Make sure you get video. The sound should be interesting. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 10 Years Ago
I'd love to see the faces when people figure out you are running a Y-Block. Put a camera under the hood! Chuck
National Tails Raceway Y-Block Nationals 2014 Bring the Dyno. Lots of Y's guys would love to see their numbers!
Aug 29Fri36th Annual
Aug 30SatFord Expo
Aug 31Sunwww.nationaltrailraceway.com

By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
Man time has flown. I just reread the article on the Y-Block forum. What a totally awesome story, not to mention the truck. Did you ever get a chance to run it on a track? Still love to see you at Columbus for the shootout. Chuck
Friend of mine here in New Hampshire had a vanity plate of 3MTA3. We are a two plate state so he had one back and front. Write 3MTA3 on a piece of paper then hold it up to a mirror. Now you know why a state trooper stopped him after passing him and lookng in his rearview. The trooper then made him remove and surrender the plates! Chuck
Is there really a Y-Block under all those hair dryers and tubes! You will need to paint your valve covers a really bright color so people can see them! Chuck
I recently found a speedometer from Speedhut. Its a GPS unit! Works great, wont care about changes in tire size or gear and is very accurate. They build them as various diameter round gauges and I expect soon as more stock appearing assemblies. All you need is a power source and a place to mount the small sensor. Chuck
Sorry, didn't think about it. Here is the link to their GPS gauges. I think they will be making more stock replacement or conversions in the future. A great idea who's time has come. Chuck

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/GPS-speedometers
Not really hijacked. He did mention a speedometer problem. I had one made for my 28 Chrysler similar to the original gauges. Even says "1928 Chrysler Series 72" on it. Chuck
Wow! Talk about a serious street sleeper. I pity the fool that takes it on. I hope you get good coverage and a good Dyno result at the show. Might dumbfound the crowd if the numbers are as good as before. Can't wait to see it at Columbus Smile. Chuck
One of the great benefits of farm life there always seems to be a few spare vehicles scattered around. Especially it you are looking for pickups. We got an old chevy sedan running when I was barley a teen. Used it for a "gully racer". basicaly that meant go as fast as the crapped out old 6 cylinder would allow and up a bank to see who could go highest on roll over the neatest. Glad my parents and other relatives never caught on. We thought we were good enough to be "hell drivers". Sure, fat chance! Chuck
You are crossing over into gasser or altered country with that engine. Did the axles twist on that first banzai run or previously? What are you running for transmission? You are going to need a really stout driveline to handle this beast. Ok, give up, put in a straight axle front end with a nose up attitude, use the extra 5" to put in tubs and BIG slicks and go crazy! Chucik
What a pleasent supprise, to start a project and pour your knowledge and experience into that and then find out you created a MONSTER! Wish we all had such tough luck. Chuck
Looking good, again. I'll bet this time there will be a lot of checking around the fuel linkage! w00t

I bought a new Fairlane back in 69 and drove the s(&^% out of it. I was lucky to get one of the dealer prepped 428 Super Cobra Jet, Fairlane Cobra's. Lightened with a 4:30 Detroit locker and 4 speed. It was everything they say it was. Super fast car. 6 months later me, the wife and the Cobra were all transferred to Germany. Now that there was FUN! Conrad never saw it coming. But thats another story. Chuck
SCRBKILR, Y-NOTA-Y, FAST-Y, ETC. ETC. Chuck
I would think something like AWSHI$ would pay homage to the old truck too? BigGrin Chuck
Geez would you guys quit! Shooting for 1K? Chuck Cool
Guilty as charged! Chuck
Your truck is really looking good. I think we have all had the drill vs carpet experience. Sometimes you just gotta do it! Chuck
Very sorry to hear about the damage but the "ride" is one you will never forget. After this quarter mile blasts will seem tame I'm sure. At least all the important things survived, the engine and oh yeah you too! Smile Trucks are easier to replace/fix than people. Chuck
Maybe one of those tiny Ford Rangers would be a spot for the engine. There seem to be a lot of them on the dragstrip now. That would really be scary! Chuck
Did you ever see the 56 Ford nose kit that was around for the newer F150's? I saw one at Carlisle one year and it was great. They made a complete nose out of fiberglass that was massaged to fit in place of the original front end. The truck was a stepside and had the supercharged motor in it. Package was about $50,000! I'm sure they didn't sell many at that price. Even counting the new truck and trir ck motor I figure about $15,000 overpriced. Looked good though. That said I have no idea how much work would be required to modify a fiberglass 56 nose to fit your F150. Would be cool though. Smile Chuck

Click the image to open in full size.
Nice article. I do believe we have their attention now! Smile Chuck
As someone already mentioned you are going to find some weak links when you hammer on this setup. I would recommend a drive shaft safety loop on both shafts and make sure the differentials are in good service. Check all the U-Joints and other connections. I remember reading somewhere that the pickup frames are mostly ladder frames and are somewhat flexible. Along with the ladder bars and welding all the existing cross members you might build an X member to tighten it up. Thanks for sharing your project I think it is exciting. Chuck
Check the frame for torsional twist. I'd also search the web for competition trucks to see what they have done to strengthen the chassis. Torquing up on mud or dirt is a lot different than pavement. Chuck
Ladder bars look great! And is is wild the way the spring mount worked for them. High or low the truck is definately going to turn some heads. Trucks have a bigger problem with torsional twist due to the ladder type frame. Over the years they have gone to x members and kickup's to strengthen them. It you have ever driven slowly over really bumpy terrain and watched the area between the bed and cab you know how much they can move around. I would still suggest welding all of the current cross members to the frame and adding a X member. Sorry for harping on the subject but I've seen some bad things happen when frames break under pressure. Chuck
Definate improvement. You will need to paint little gm scrub logo's on the fenders for each one you eat one the street. Super sleeper. Chuck
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/413b7af2-da93-4a6f-a192-42d5.jpg
Wow, looking great. What a sleeper you've built, you are going to terrorize the streets in that. Chuck
You have to bring the truck to Columbus, Ohio Labor day weekend! We NEED to see that wild motor. Chuck
On all 4 wheels! Shades of Tommy Ivo. Chuck

Any riveted frame member should be welded it should make an apparent difference in the launch. Ladder bars are a great idea and on a truck you can make them longer. It will also come apparent if your springs rates have varied from side to side. Chuck
Off in a different direction then. I have seen some really storming 4wd trucks on ESPN at the drags. Might be ineresting. Chuck
It's not impossible to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSyXpT_68QI

Chuck
Those numbers are pretty consistant for a new engine that isn't totaly dialed in. I think you may have a scrub killer there. It wouldn't hurt to set it up lower with the ladder bars and some sticky tires. I'd love to see what it would run in that trim. If it's not putting up the numbers then you could still go to 2WD and try again. The idea of a balls out 4wd Ford pickup smoking all four tires is getting my imagination working overtime! Go get em! Chuck
By glrbird - 12 Years Ago
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic71011-3-1.aspx 

here is the info on copper headgaskets.

By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
I haven't owned one of the truck for a few years, but aren't the cross members rivited in? You could weld the cross members to the frame,(the one's you don't need to remove), but for the most part the frames were pretty strong, but they weren't built for that kind of torque.
Hutz

While you are waiting for better weather, you should write an article on you adventures with turbos. Alot of the guy's know how to squeeze compresion and flow to make HP, but you are going in a direction that I have always been interested in. I never thought the head gaskets would take that kind of boost. Great job,
2 TURBO Y
By pintoplumber - 12 Years Ago
Ted, boy your son really must have had a lot of weight in the trailer.
By suede57ford - 12 Years Ago
Hutz, Keep up the good work.   The only way to figure to it out and get everything sorted is to jump in and expirement like your doing and work out one detail at a time.  Just make sure it doesn't ping.  Starting with the lower boost is a good idea until you get the fuel to it.    It took me a while to get my VR57 blower car working right with the teapot, but now it is pretty darn fast.  My original set-up with the blower had cast pistons and all stock everything including head gaskets.  That long block is still in running condition, but in storage today.  I started breaking stuff when I began building hotter combo's with more cubes, better flowing heads, and bigger cams.  It was sort of a grenade for awhile.   I think the first thing to go when I added the blower was the t5 which I broke three in a row before I upgraded to a Tremec TKO.  Of course then I started wasting motors, but I got really good at tunning it and have really figured out a good combo.  You may break a few things, but if you just keep working on it you will develop your own combo and the thing will be a thrill to drive.   Good Luck with the dyno, and keep having fun.
By suede57ford - 12 Years Ago
Great Job!   I have enjoyed watching your progress.  Looks like you are having fun now.  A really unique ride.    Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting the results.
By Hollow Head - 13 Years Ago
How are you going to arrange oil return from the turbo? Nice work and good to see more people dealing with turbos and efi set ups Smile.
Grhmmm... that is the turbine wheel in that last picture. Compressor wheel AKA impeller wheel is on the other side BigGrin. Well, one could think down pipe as a screen over the open hole.
You will end up to buy at least 30 % larger fuel injectors BigGrin. Current injectors may be open all the time with lots of pressure. You will get it running, but will not get it tuned to high rpms. Trust me, we have faced the same problem. Our eight 30 llbs/hr injectors run out of capacity after 330 HP and 630 Nm at 5300 rpm with pump gas. With E85 you will need about 90 lbs/hr or even much more... w00t. Good Luck and take some videos to show us.

Ah, sorry... you have 900 cfm Holley Tbi. Really don't know how much fuel it will deliver.
Simo, you remember when at dyno, we tried about 45-50 psi and then the injectors started flooding. 40 psi equals 2.7 bar of pressure. 20 psi is very low 1.4 bar.
Hutz.... is it running yet Smile. We are waiting....
Good work Hutz! Can't wait to see it roaring down the streets w00t. More pics about the truck and engine?
By Hollow Head - 11 Years Ago
Hutz, congrats! We all knew you will do that someday and now you did. Great effort from you all!! Now get that truck to Columbus and show them all what it can do. Would sure be crowd pleaser.
How about just adding traction masters or similar build ups? Like these used with Mustangs...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/dd15dcfe-d49a-4e0c-9f63-3d24.JPG

These are known to reduce wheel hopping. Easy to do yourself too.
Or then just buy a decent frame for it and shock the chevy guys some more w00t.

Like this?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f5440ebc-9592-47b4-8268-886e.jpg
Hutz, when I first got your message, I thought it would be even worse. That ain't bad at all. Just get a new cabin for your truck, but please don't do anything as stupid as above BigGrin That red one is ugly as hel...
Eeehh... really don't get the point with that fuel pump block off / oil distributor thing. You still have to hook it to oil gallery from somewhere... This is how we did. Fuel pump block off plate is just a block off and oil feed comes from the gallery and splits to two. That system is still in use though that picture is from early twin turbo days Laugh.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1efcce64-30a9-496c-9356-5978.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1ab035ca-280a-488c-a8a1-6c7a.JPG
By Hollow Head - 12 Years Ago
I like your attitude, Hutz! Keep going w00t.
There is some good info about spark plugs and heat ranges here

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/charglossary.asp?kw=Heat+range

As, we have had Champion RF14YC plugs now and when we took those of, they were very close to be melted if those pictures are exact w00t. So, we will definetely move to colder plugs but that means that we have to start the engine with hotter ones due E85 fuel and that we don't have any cold start enrichments. Then, after engine is warm, we can change to colder ones BigGrin

John's comment may well be the issue. We have new k-liners in our heads and Ferrea stainless steel valves on both sides, And as said, we lost couple of push rods at the starting about an half hour after previous run. But, last weekend went without problems on the engine side Wink. Chevy parts keep breaking...
Good to hear you are still running Wink. Just put 20 psi under the hood and that rice burner is toasted BigGrin.
WoW! Now all you have to do is to turn that #2 compressor side 180 degrees to get even more symmetrical look and get that center section pointing downwards to drain the oil back to oil pan Wink. Also, as those turbos have that flange on the compressors, that gives an opportunity to add brackets to hold them up better. Just fab brackets from the timing cover etc...
Lookin' so good so far! One serious build, have to say. Hutz, what are you going to use as a head gaskets?
What a waste BigGrin. Good pop ups milled to nothing!  No, I hope that you get the engine running ok and you will break that 800 hp barrier soon Wink.
Absolutely boost sensing fuel regulator. We have AN8 sized fuel lines and a Mallory regulator which has a fuel return line back to fuel cell. And we have about 43 psi pressure now.
BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin... Bent push rods seem to be common problem with turbocharged Ys BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin.: We have plenty of those too! But so far, we have had no problems with pre ignition. Luckily, last weekend went without problems with engine... 6.04 at 1/8 mile.
Twisted Fate, you have to remember that current Y-block WR is 7.966 at 1/4, so we are not even close to that Smile. Yet....
Hutz, we really don't know for sure, but first problems were caused by loose adjusting nuts and too wide adjusting balls on rockers. When the push rods cracked due too large balls, adjustment of the valves got loose and let the push rods to drop. Those are not affected by boost. The last problem was odd, because when Jyrki came back from that 10.020 run, the engine idled correctly. But, after we fired it again after about half an hour it run with only 7 cylinders and when we opened the covers, #5 had no push rods and they were badly bent after we found them from lifter valley later.

Last weekend we run six 1/8 mile runs without any problems. But, we had only 10 psi of boost as we had on the dyno earlier this summer and those Fel-Pro blue gaskets are still holding ok.

Moonshadow, that's what we consider as a reason too. And, someone has to discover the limits, so Hutz, we are keeping the thumbs up for you and your experiments. It's very highly possible, that we will also raise our boost level at the next race and we hope we don't break anything w00t.
Interesting... Smile. Your torque curve really begins from 4500 rpm? Is there anything below that?

351 hp from rear wheel + about 15% more from the crankshaft. Not bad, but I think you have lots of more to come after you get everything working.

Our engine gave best torque at 2600 rpm 630 Nm at engine dyno with single turbo and 0.7 bar pressure. (465 ft pound/10.1 psi). 329 hp / 5000 rpm. Our single turbo just was too small and exhaust back pressure was about 1.07 bar / 15,5 psi w00t. Not so good and that's partially why HP was so small.

Good progress! Pull out some video about cruising and the truck. Show us how it goes Wink.
Congrats Hutz!!!
I think it is time to go to Columbus nowWink. Good spirit!
Yes, you can, Frank BigGrin. And if you don't, put about 50 % beer to your tank and you'll get the same smell BigGrin.
We can deliver plates for you. Just tell us how thick you want. Our first test for those plates will be at the end of June, cause our new bottom end has had some delays. So, we have no experience yet.
What will be the degrees in your new cam and what you have now? We are running 270 degree grind done here in Finland from original truck cam.I don't even know the lobe angles...Smile
We ran our Y with 32 deg total at dyno few years ago. Here is the link if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFwrPj8SnU

And that was with 99 octane gasoline.

Nowadays 11.1 is more than normal with boost and especially with E85. Go on with your trial, but be sure if you hear any knocking, back up immideately.
Hutz, do you have a boost sensing fuel regulator or what. If not, that might be the problem. When boost raises, you should have more pressure from the regulator and more fuel to the injectors. What is your fuel pressure at idle and what it is with revs and boost? What is the overlap / LSA of your camshaft. We ordered our new cam from Schneider and it will have 116 deg lobe separation angle, so it will have less overlap.
Yes, we are using that 8-point injection. Everything else will change for summer. Different block, new con rods, new pistons, new cam, new heads (but still iron heads), roller rockers, maybe even twin turbos, 90 lbs/hr injectors... So, lots of questions, but we are sure that the limits of Y-block are yet not discovered BigGrin.
Very light forged SRP pistons and compression ratio close to stock 8.2-8.5:1.

By PF Arcand - 12 Years Ago
Copper head gaskets were advertised in YBM about a year or so ago. Maybe someone here can zero in on what issue?
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
A suggestion re the 245 degrees your engine is seeing under heavy load. Might be an idea to run the engine no load for a while before turning it off in those circumstances. Over heating is known to result in cracked heads, usually around the center exhaust valves sometimes on Y-Blocks...
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
I have one of those trucks that is a 64. It is a 223 SIX with 3 on the tree, longbed.
I can't even begin to imagine how it would handle with that kind of HP and torque! And I might add it has a fairly new, tight suspension with disk brakes.
I think what you've accomplished is great, but I would be thinking about a race specific car and frame if I were you.
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
I'm curious to hear if those tig welded cross member welds fatigue over time, or something. I think the original frame was designed to give or flex in those areas and you have obviously strengthened them. This is the reason those old trucks moved around so much on and old crooked road as Chuck has mentioned earlier. This is fun to watch!
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
Glad everyone's OK.
Apparently the engine can stand the WOT for awhile then huh?
By LordMrFord - 13 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (11/10/2011)
We will bump the fuel pressure up to 40psi from 20psi.

What is max pressure rating for injectors if you can double the current?
Yes, but when I ran with Chevy TBI, injector normal pressure was 13 psi/0,9 bar(Which I raised to about 1,4 bar).

I tried 55 psi with my current injectors(rated to about 45 psi) without leaks, cause high duty cycle, but I think that was not good thing to do.

So I someday bore out my injector bungs and try with those Mustang injectors which you got.
Mild cams have low overlap, so it's better for turbo setup. You dont have to rev engine, just turn turbo srew.

Balance between cam, turbochargers and Torque converter is everything, but I think, cam can be pretty mild if compared to free breathing engines.

I don't know a lot about runner/valve size ratio, but free breathing exhaust must be good for turbos.
By LordMrFord - 12 Years Ago
Hollow Head (2/16/2012)
We ran our Y with 32 deg total at dyno few years ago. Here is the link if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFwrPj8SnU

And that was with 99 octane gasoline.

0.7 Bar boost, big intercooler and flattop pistons. Fuel octane is european standard 99.

Y-Block handles a lot more advance than 5.0L.
Hutz 292 (3/4/2012)
Are you guys still using that port fuel injection I am interested in if that is working well. I think I could get better response with that.

There is a more smaller acceleration pulse times with 8-point, but I dont think there is not so much differencies.

Fuel/air-mixture is really fast moving stuff on high RMP's, so injector place is not so important.
Congratulations!!!

12.5:1 is quite good AFR.

By LordMrFord - 11 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (3/24/2013)
If I remember I am running around 6 degrees at 24 psi. We are at 19 degrees @ 0 vacuum or 90 kpa.

Those advances sounds pretty low. I have seen couple of turbo maps where 250 kpa / 3000 rpm advance are 14-19 and if I understand right, 100 kpa / 3000 rpm advance should be close to 36 with iron headed Y with or without chargers.
Where's the Y-Block emblems?http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/nbr3bagshotrow/Smilies/bth_Thinking.gif
It looks like those aftermarket rockers may have too big balls for pushrods. We had cracked ball cups and after then bended pushrods.

Your cups looks to be fine, so I think you got no same problem.

Very nice torque btw!BigGrin

When you move your max torque rpm from 4000 to 5500+, you can get even more hp's.

Whats your intake air temp? With dragster there was stock plugs with same boost levels and with no problems.

Can we a see a first 1000+ftlb with 20psi.w00t
Hollow Head (8/22/2012)
And as said, we lost couple of push rods at the starting about an half hour after previous run. But, last weekend went without problems on the engine side Wink.

Have you count the pushrods for sure?BigGrin
Looks like the pistons gonna have hard times.
Here, in the continent of million Toyotas and Skodas, I can say nice even that is made by wrong american car company and wrong era.Smile
Those are pretty awesome numbers. Congrats!
Sorry to hear you.

Btw. also sorry to bother you in moment of sadness, but can you post your advance map?
We are getting rid of mechanical advance control (atlast) with dragster and it might be easier to go on dyno with proven map.
Im out of knowledge with timing over 100 kpa Y-Blocks and many other are also in this world.Smile
By RB - 12 Years Ago
I have some experience running E85.. I would say that it's practcal octane is above 105.. I run it in a 12:1 engine with no problem.. Possibly the cooling effect of the ethanol helps it's anti-detonation properties.

Winter fuel has more gasoline and less ethanol fuel you buy during race season should be true 85%

At 3.39 a gallon locally it's a no brainer. Don't spend up for a special carburetor. Jetting up a standard 750 double pumper 30% worked just as well and made same power as a E85 converted carb.
By RB - 12 Years Ago
Frank corrosive effects on aluminum are with Methanol.. Ethanol is not corrosive in my experience.. There is enough gasoline in it to mitigate some of the problems Regular rubber hoses do get soft over time, but in a race car that does not have fuel sitting in it for long periods it is not a problem. The newer OEM hoses are all alchohol resistant.

Engines really like this stuff Burns cool and clean.. And your race car smells like stale beer
By RB - 12 Years Ago
Try an AR-32 Autolite plug They are very cold do not have a projected tip and come side gapped
By RB - 12 Years Ago
It is an 18mm.. Summit carrys them... It is a very cold plug
By RB - 11 Years Ago
Couple ideas.. As boost pressure goes up you may need to use a little stronger valve spring.. I have heard of premature valve float with high boost pressures.. Also you are starting to build really high cylinder pressure It could be that your ignition needs more energy to provide a good spark
By RB - 11 Years Ago
Hutz292, would you be up for a phone call from Jerry Christenson? He would like to get some details on your truck for a story in Y Block magazine.. He lives in Minneapolis but is not computer savvy
By RB - 11 Years Ago
I knew I felt the earth move this afternoon
By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (1/30/2012)
Dyno showed up late friday.  I couldn't take it I pulled my engine and installed the new cam.  I also installed my new high stall converter.  I got a chance to take a peak in my engine and was amazed at how clean E85 burns.  My valves are spotless and tops of my pistons are nice and clean.  I had to order some new titanium header wrap so that should be here tomorow.  I will take pics of the completed project and post them tomorow.  Chris will be up from Kentucky on friday and saturday to train us on the dyno.  By the end of the weekend I should have some dyno sheets on my turbocharged y-block.  Cannot wait. 

When you,re using that aussie dyno, better turn it rightside up!!Tongue

By yehaabill - 12 Years Ago
Y-Guys......speaking of the WRX, Reed and I went to our local track 2 weeks ago to "tune" my junk

to get ready for Columbus(Can't go now...Issac got in the way). Reed had added a 2-step

to help with launches and pulled up to the line to try it out....Well, a New WRX pulled in the lane

next to him...Reed bogged a little(2500rpm launch)... the WRX beat us to the line...He went 8.64

my Junk went an 8.48 @ 87mph....A big improvement for us @ 10lbs boost.

Can't wait for the results from Columbus...hope "Issac" doesn't get 'em.

Bill

By yehaabill - 11 Years Ago
Looks AWESOME, can't wait to see the dyno #'s.....valve adjustment looks to be a challenge...E85 or prem fuel?
Radio/Stereo!!!! You've got that Y-BLOCK music under the hood.....can't wait to see the 4 wheel burnouts...
YnotYbk....
By miker - 12 Years Ago
Vern Schulman (? Sp) used to sell a set of laminated metal head gaskets. When I got them they looked bit strange, but a long time racing buddy said he was surprised I could get those for a yblock and that was all he used on new Fords and blown head gaskets were pretty well a thing of the past. They're on the car now, but I don't have miles or load to know what's true.

I also read somewhere that alcohol required twice the lbs/hr as gas for the same hp. Not quite sure how that works with E-85, but if you could verify it and adjust it,maybe that would help with a start point.

Your rwhp observations are inline with local dynos near me. At 400 hp off an engine dyno, the wheel unit shows 100 hp less, typically. The gross can be 400, and corrected 210 or so. Big differences.
By Apache - 13 Years Ago
Yeah, I want the info on this set-up. Total cost...? Dyno sheet maybe??? :-D Ad don't forget an exhaust clip
By Apache - 13 Years Ago
any new updates?
By mctim64 - 13 Years Ago
Looks great in print!  Where's the video? Tongue
By mctim64 - 12 Years Ago
Can't wait to see it myself. Wink
By John Mummert - 13 Years Ago
Its looking good Robi. You guys have been busy!
By John Mummert - 12 Years Ago
Robi, glad to hear you're getting a handle on that beast.

That's a Mean,Green, Machine!

The 250 Lb Hr injectors might be a little tough to sort out at part throttle but sounds like you're getting close.
Robi, it looks like you need to check your deck clearance. That old piston looks like it's been gettin' intimate with the head!

A little thicker head gasket might help it.

-471 Heads should be there very soon.

Should be a beast!
Robi, lookin great!

By my calc's your compression now should be 8.1:1

Pour the fuel to it and see what you get.
There is probably a lesson here for the guys running turbos and anyone doing the machine work including myself. The guides in Robi's heads were not set-up on the tight side, at all. It appears that the additional heat made by the turbo is causing the valve stems to grow more that expected. This results in sticking valves and bent pushrods.

It appears that guide clearance needs to be in the .0025" range to be safe.
By jepito - 12 Years Ago
Do you have a valve spring tester? May have an odd spring. After engine is hot, pull the covers and run a check. I have seen some springs change from temp and others not effected.
By NoShortcuts - 13 Years Ago
CONGRATULATIONS on your engineering, fabrication efforts, and accomplishment! Looks good! Smile

Will you use any type of a screen over the impeller in that last picture?

Best Wishes!

By Talkwrench - 12 Years Ago
I would not be running your engine at 10;1 with ANY boost ! Im no expert but I have fitted a supercharger with help from guys that have been doing it for years..

I bought my supercharger from a mechanic that had no idea what he was doing it lasted 11 minutes on his car.. he did learn alot after that.

This might be old rule of thumb. but if you want to be running any sort of decent boost you should be at 7.5;1 that should be good for 12lb boost.

Timing should have a fair bit of initail advance and maybe no more than 30 degrees all in by 3000rpm that should be a good start depending on your fuel! IF you are running all that MSD gear then go buy their boost retard to add to it.

Be careful all that hard work can be undone very quickly.

have you 'O' ringed this motor ?
Hutzie.. I dont know the full extent of what has been done to your motor but I get the feeling you have a lot of "techincal" work done but maybe some basics are missing when it comes to forced induction. If you have gone to the trouble of getting a dyno I think you are going to try and.. how shall we say..." Get the most out of it", I dont think you are going to be happy with just 8 lbs boost Wink .

What sort of head gaskets are you using?

Are you using ARP head studs?

The block or heads should be O ringed with a copper ring and a copper head gasket as well.

Tip; Dont use a coolant with glycol in it. Glycol has a "serching molecule" and the slightest crack or hole it will find it.

Those Finish guys with hollow heads should give you some more info.Tongue

Hate to see all your hard work come undone too quick.

Consider O ringing the heads [or block] and use copper head gaskets as well when you re-install.
You will have to have them made.. Seppo has had some made but he is at the other end of the earth like me. There was a post quite recent about them. Ted, Tim or John may have a contact.
I think you would defineately need a bigger fuel line, no point mucking around you may as well go 1/2" and use the old line as a retun line. Im not familiar with with injection systems but I would think it would still need to be boost referenced?.. Seppo?

What compression did you end up with?

Sorry about going on about O ringing, Someone did point out to me that the chamber shape wont allow it.

Keep going!

No thats kooooll! I dont know how the head gaskets are going stand up to that ! Tongue
By grovedawg - 13 Years Ago
I hope your cam shows up soon! An early Christmas present would be nice! Keep us posted.
By grovedawg - 12 Years Ago
Any news or updates?
By grovedawg - 12 Years Ago
I wish I had experience with boost, and injection. But I don't so I'm just an interested observing hoping the best for you engine. Keep us posted!
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
MoonShadow (3/2/2013)

MoonShadow (3/2/2013)

MoonShadow (3/2/2013)

Guess you missed Ted's memo...SmoooothSmooooth

Ted (2/25/2013)

One of the nuances of the new forum software is a time lag between hitting the submit key and the post showing up on the screen.About a minute of dead time has been the worst case on my end. While the screen doesn’t appear to be doing anything, it is doing its job in the background and hitting the submit key a second or third or fourth time before the post appears simply makes for duplicate posts for each time the key is hit.

Hey, Chuck. Good info. Wouldn't it be neat if they could make a unit to connect to a stock speedo head? I would like to keep the stock speedo/dash in my '55. Just think of the restored/retro-mod cars that could use a device like that for an accurate speed reading.

Or maybe better to modify a stock speedo with the GPS unit.

If those aren't feasible I would go with a 2 1/16" GPS Speedo to fit in with my 2 1/16" mechanical oil and water temp gauges.

Sometimes a link to the product helps others find it.
Chuck, I was talking about I should put in the link to the 2 1/16" gauge (2 1/16" GPS Speedo) I was referring to, I didn't mean you should have put in a link. That's why I edited my post.

I like the way you can 'customize' the gauge with the bezel of your choice, font, etc. The Standard 'Tick Style' looks pretty close to matching my SW gauges. I don't think the price is too bad considering the hassle it is to get a speedo to read 'close' to what it should.

Now that we've hijacked the thread, back to the show that's playing...
I see AutoMeter has a GPS Speedo also if anyone is interested. Auto Meter GPS Speedo
By Hutz 292 - 13 Years Ago

We started by simply swapping the headers side to side so they are facing forward.  It worked very well.

Built the y-pipe up to the flange.

Y-pipe with the waste gate.

Turbo location from the top.  Drivers side.  We will run the air cleaner out the fender well and build some shielding to protect it from the water.

The intercooler sits inbetween the radiator and radiator support like it was made for and intercooler.  Bought a pressure plenum from jegs and some intercooler piping kit and only had to use two pieces.

The blow off valve is right above the turbo.

Turbo fits nicely between engine and frame.  We are planning on running about 8psi boost.  I have a 900cfm Holley TBI fuel injection kit on it and we are going to convert it to E85.  I will keep u updated as we get further along.

Found a nice spot in the fender well for the air filter.  We built a box out a stock cummins air box so it is sealled up really nice now.  Cut a hole behind headlight for cold air intake.

My new gauge assembly from Dakota Digital.  It is crazy awesome.  I would recommend them to anyone.  Comes with everyhting you need and uses existing blinker signal, fuel sender and high beam wires.

Our new toy from down under!!

Don't worry once my bigger injectors get here I will be giving some results.  Looks good on it don't it.

Still needs some tuning but not a bad run. Dynotech by Dyno Dynamics.

If you look at my pic of the y-pipe you can see the oil drain will go right into the top of the oil pan.  We will t into the heater hoses for the coolant for the turbo.  I will just have to leave my heater valve open all the time.  I cannot wait to hear it run.  Right now I just have a 3in straight pipe.  The waste gate will just dump behind the engine.  If it's too loud we will tie it into the exhaust.  Might be ready to start it tomorrow.  Very excited will let you know how it runs.
We have the down pipe and filter built I will have more pics tomorrow.  It turned out great.  We had to reengineer the exhuast down pipe today to clear the front diff.  Tomorrow is the day we will fire it up.  There is going to be some significant tuning to do because we switched over to E85 and we now added the turbo.  We will bump the fuel pressure up to 40psi from 20psi.  Also added a external fuel pressure regulator to work with the change in manifold pressure.  Will definately let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. 
Hey everyone we got it running friday and took it out for a little driving.  Drove it more today and we realized we had to turn fuel pressure down.  We are at 30psi right now.  Found the injectors were flooding once pressure and duty cycle increased.  It is much better at now with lower pressure.  We actually just sent off the down payment for a chassis dyno so I have not brought it above 4,000 rpm yet.  Air/fuel looks good but we are gonna wait to get crazy until it's under a controlled load.  So far I am very, very impressed with the power.  You tip into the throttle and feel the engine power and immediately the turbo spools and it's fun.  I am running at 8psi max right now.  We have down some hard accelerating under boost and still all is well.  Like I said I am very impressed with the power gain.  I have a E4OD trans in this truck with 33in mud tires so when it got into o/d the truck really struggled to hold speed.  The engine is running 2,400 rpm @ 70mph so didn't have a whole lot of power at that rpm.  Went out today and did some more tuning and in o/d with t/c locked I could easily pick up speed going up hill.  I am very happy and excited with the power.  The sound also is awesome wiht a 4in straight pipe it is not to loud and a very nice turbo whistle out the exhaust.  If I left anything out just ask we have a little more tuning to do.  I will get more pics and some video.  Everything looks great we have titanium header wrap on whole exhaust.
Hey everyone did some more tuning and having issues with the hight rpm.  Engine would cut out tun rough. My buddy asked me about the cam if it's compatible for boost.  It never crossed my mind so I called Isky racing cams (thats were I got my current cam from F300) and he said that the cam would not work very well with boost.  He said that at high rpm the cam would not breath well enough and would back up in engine.  He gave me all the details of what we need for an ideal cam.  Longer lobe separation and more intake.  He said that the cam I have is great for NA engines but not for boost.  So I am having him grind me a custom cam for my engine.  That's where we are at right now.  It's a lot of fun right now I am just learning about boost as we go.  My high stall billet torque converter showed up today.  We'll pull the engine and trans and put them cam in at the same time.  So far though the very happy the project.  I will have cam for sale now if anyone needs one.
Unfortunately I don't have all the cam specs right now, he rattled off everything he was going to do and didn't right it down.  He was very knowledgeable about what to do though.  I do remember 114 lobe separation.  It will be 3,000 to 6,000 rpm cam.  I have a billet triple disc, 3,500 rpm stall converter to install at the same time.  He got all this info from me and said the cam he will build will work perfect.  I cannot wait.  It should have a nasty whole shot.  With the stall converter by the time the converter stalls the engine will be reaching it's power range and there should be a surge of heat in the exhaust and turbo should be spooled so it should a nice acceleration point.  As far as the injectors I thought that they were flooding under the high fuel pressure but we turned fuel presure down and it never fully went away.  Once I talked to Isky and he told me that the cam I had would not run right at high rpms I am hoping that was our problem.  The cam shows up beginning of December so don't worry it won't take long to install i'll let you guys know how it goes.
By Hutz 292 - 11 Years Ago
Well I ordered some vent loovers for my hood to try and remove some heat from my engine compartment. They are 11x17 and are made of aluminum and are falt black. Just an update the engine is running great after a summer of getting wooped on and pulling the dyno around the state. I may pull the engine this winter and reseal my rear main. The bracket in the back that holds the rear seal is cracked, sprayed it off and gobbed a ton of silicone up there but, ya, lets just say that didn't plug the hole in the damn. I would love to make a show next year like that y-block gathering so you guys will to keep me posted for next year.
Well I am pumped up, we got the new cooling system done with electric water pump, relocated the p/s pump and were able to install some nice electric fans. We ran it on the dyno today with a few back to back pulls and the temp would hit 196 degrees, the fans kicked in and cooled right down. The temp never creeped at all, I am soo pumped now that I can keep the engine cool, plus it looks kindof cool.

This is the plate Chris built and welded a 1.5 in pipe into.

Relocated the p/s pump and did some bracketeering. It also allowed us to use a shorter belt with everthing on one side, and we didn't need any idler pulley.

We bolted the water pump to the steering gear which gave us room for the lower radiator hose on the other side, plus the engine is bolted solid to the frame so I didn't have to worry about the hose flexing.

Chris built a sweet lower radiator hose adapter. The right fitting goes up to my surge tank and the left fitting comes from the heater core to the suction side of the pump. I decided to just block off the baypass fitting under the thermostat. I think it should be ok but if it's a problem I figure someone will mention something.
Chris decided to decorate my coffee cup so I would know which one was mine. I was like that is badass I have to share that!

By Hutz 292 - 10 Years Ago
Well everyone just checking in its been a long winter and it is finally getting nice out.  Pulled the Y-block out of the grage and got it up in the air to take care of a rear main seal leak that was bugging me all last year.  Pulled tranny out and removed pan and was pleased to see that everything looked like brand in there.  Also found out why it was leaking, I thought that the lower seal housing was cracked but I realized I got a little carried away with the silicone when I installed it and is crushed the seal.  Got it all put back together the old boy is dry as a bone now.  I should have a new video of the Twin Turbo soon we have a dyno day this next saturday and I should have it strapped down.  My old video got deleted so I need to get some new ones.  I hope this finds everyone in good health and good weather coming there your way, this winter has really been a tough one and cannot wait to get the hot rod back on the road!!
Thought I would just repost my old video.  Putting on together with the new truck that it's in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGU-A0vtQWc

I am planning on making it to one of these y-block gatherings.  That one sounds fun but this summer we are cutting back a little on shows.  We are having a baby in august and we are building a new house that we need to be moved into by august also.  This summer is a little busy for me.  I would love to haul the dyno down to a show though.

Actually we are still at 24 lbs of boost. I figured what the heck, you can't tell people you have almost a 1,000hp power if it isn't there all the time right! If I want less boost I can just back out of the throttle, which never happens. I still havn't had it back on the dyno but I have done a lot of ripping on it on the street. It kindof makes you giggle a little bit. The torque when you hit third gear and crank up to 24 lbs of boost is like nothing I have ever felt. That little truck is awesome, handles great drives like a dream, don't get me wrong I miss my old 62 4X4 but that 99 F150 is a great pickup I love it. Now with quieter mufflers it is such a pleasant drive down the road. I have got a lot of comments on how quiet the engine itself runs when I show it off and let it run for people they can't believe how smooth and quiet the engine is mechanically. Don't kid yourself I run this thing really hard. We might run some water/meth injection now that we are running 91 octane instead of E85. Here is the last dyno run we made in case everyone hasn't seen it.

You are right, the shield did not initially work. I have since covered it with heat tape from DEI and now it works just fine. I am going to update to a 7al box and a more bad ass coil. Since I have switched back to 91 octane fuel from E85 I am having spark blow out around 17lbs of boost or around 500 whp. I talked to MSD and they said the 6al was not enough for that much boost. Once I change that we will hopefully be able to make some full runs at 24 psi!! Here is a pic of some more stickers I put on.

I applied it to the shield and I used the silver tape.
I switched back to 91 because so many stations around here are pulling E85 from the pumps and when I was heading out to a car show with the dyno I ran out of stations with E85 so I has the laptop with me and had to tune on the fly. Actually I like the 91 a lot better my drivability is much better. It idles better and not that I am concerned with fuel economy but it has more than doubled since I switched to premuim fuel.

On the other hand the Y-block has proved it's durability again. I just headed out to my home town for a dyno day and put on over 375 miles with my trailer in over 90 degree heat there and back. My radiator is still the stock one from the 99 F150 and the truck runs pretty warm when pulling the trailer. I runs around 240-245 degree the entire time. It did not get any warmer so I just ran it down the road around 70 mph. It might be a little warm but it ran like a top. Today I ordered a custom radiator for it so that should take care of the problem. I credit the oil I use in this engine to lot of my success. I believe that the Joe Gibbs racing oil I use is top notch. It is HR3 15w-50 synthetic. I would imagine that my engine oil temps were even higher than that to. I pulled my hood off on the way back to my parents house thinking it might run cooler but it didn't help much. Here are a couple of pics from the weekend.

This is when we got to the farm on friday night. The kids love daddy's pickup.

This is after the parade on saturday and parked beside my other 03 F150.

Finally made it home on Sunday night after a weekend of work and pulling. I love this engine. It stole the entire car show and all it does is make power, run great and pull a trailer hundreds of miles a year to car shows. I usually pull at 7-10 lbs of boost and run with the o/d off. The sweet spot with my engine is around 3200 rpm in 3rd gear. At that rpm the engine has great power and turbos spool easily. Pulling the trailer is a breaze at that rpm, it takes very little of the turbos to maintain around 70 mph, and the pickup handles the load great. I did install a new 7al box and a new coil. I think it is going to take care of my spark issue at around 500 whp. I also think I am going to change to autolite AR94 spark plug. It is on step hotter than the 8 heat range ngk I am running now. I think I will be making a few dyno pulls soon.
I would always let it cool down to around 212 before I would shut it off. I have a new aluminum 4 core radiator that will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to see if it fits good. Should get it in by the weekend and we are off to a lake party for the weekend so should get to test it out. I won't have the trailer but I should notice a cooler running engine, because it would run just slightly warmer than usual even empty.
Well made it back from another dyno show with the y-block with no hiccups. Truck ran great and pulled great, and it got plenty of attention also. A lot of our friends from the north were down from Canada in Minot,ND for our dyno show. I also installed my new dash from Dakota Digital which turned out great!! Sure is nice to have gauges again.

Hey everyone have some great news. The Y is back on the road, have insurance on the truck and took it to town the other day. Engine runs great and I have the tune a little more dialed in. The pickup is fun to drive with power steering and power disc brakes!!!! We hope to have a couple of dyno runs by the end of the week, we have a car show to go to with the dyno this sunday and I am hoping to pull the trailer with it. If it isn't ready to pull the trailer I will still drive it there to show it off. I have been trying to come up with something clever for the liscence plates, I had a few ideas "YBLKPWR" "TTYBLCK" "PWRBY Y" or I think I might just leave it simple like "Y BLOCK". I am excited to tell you that I will be starting a new post on the forum for a Y-block build. There is a retired body man up the street that has a 54ish Ford, not sure on the year, but it has a 292 in it and needs it built for some power. I couldn't talk him into turbo but I am going to build it and tune and he will paint my 99 for me. Looking forward to the new post and if anyone has any ideas for liscence plate would be cool.
All good. I will take a pic of the plates I go with. Don't worry I haven't forgotten about the old ford I haven't taken the key off my ring yet.
Well I made my first trip to town and back and the Y ran great. I love this new two wheel drive and newer suspension ride. Truck runs great and engine is a beast. I am running it at 15 psi right now but I haven't ran it on the dyno yet. We have a car show this weekend and I may strap it down just to show everyone what's up. I think I resolved an issure I was having though, when I removed the engine I decided to install a new rear main seal because mine was leaking a little in my old truck. So I installed a new one and since I got it running my engine has been leaking really bad. So tonight I raised the truck and found that the aluminum housing that the seal sits in is cracked and leaking like hell. So I did what every good mechanic would do, I sprayed it off with brake clean and siliconed the crap out of it. Let is dry and no more leak. Here are some finished pics.

photo IMG_20130607_194515_279_zps8b0c0f2d.jpg

My new computer bay.

photo IMG_20130607_194524_645_zpsc36c3971.jpg

photo IMG_20130607_194540_600_zps34881d6a.jpg

photo IMG_20130607_194603_781_zps8998b0e8.jpg

photo IMG_20130607_194652_257_zpsd041a74f.jpg

A little shout out to Johnny.
Right now I don't have any gauges but the factory fuel and volt gauge work. I am going to get a Dakota Digital dash that will fit later. If I bring the laptop with me when I drive my trans computer software has a virtual dash option that has all my pids it's pretty nice. We have our dyno day tomorrow at the car show and I haven't decided if I am going to run it yet or not. If I do I will have video for you guys.
Well the kids and I got the hose out the other day and washed up the ford. Got all the painting done and she looks pretty good.

We were able to fit the exhaust out he body kit I love the way that looks.

Not bad for a $300 pickup.

Got my boost gauge and wide band mounted and in.

I love my Strange rear diff with 12' disc brakes and the ladder bars are sweet. This thing actually hooks up extremely well through the gears. About half throttle is perfect until late in 2nd gear then once you hit third it turns into a rocket. Have to be careful because it will still break the tires loose in third. I turned the boost down to about 19 lbs of boost and its a little easier to control.

Got some sweet stickers from Johnny so I figured this is a perfect place for it.

We were having issues with my modules overheating so I installed a fan ro move air across them all the time. I will see what this does and then build something mor permanent. I will now this weekend we will be in Jamestown, ND for a car show about 130 miles away. I will be pulling the dyno there with the Y-block. I will let you know how it does this weekend.

Got my licence plates back.

Got some of the badging on. I have some more 292 stuff just havn't decided were to put them.

If you look at the bottom hole in the bumper you can see a new cooler. I know its crazy but we were having issues with my A100 fuel pump vapor locking on really hot days when I would pull the dyno trailer. Called Aeromotive and they said since it's not in the tank it needs a fuel cooler in the return line. It's probably no the safest place for a fuel cooler but it looks great up there.
Got some updated pics from the project. Nice front view of the setup and I don't think I have posted a pic of the new truck yet.

This is the new home for the Y!

My E4OD with the new 2wd output shaft, fit like a dream.

I have my new 2in drop spindles and rear drop shackles installed. I have to wait until my new diff shows up so I can have a driveshaft built. Only thing we will have to build will be the brackets for the shocks to bolt up to. The 12in disc brakes will be installed and my brake cables should work. I already ordered my wheel adapters so we can use the wheels and tires I just bought for my other truck since they have a total of about 5 miles on them!
Well I have my computers wired in and my differential is supposed to be here tomorow. I will post some pics if it makes it. I also have a new intercooler on its way. The piping will go in the sides and come out the middle straight to the throttle body. We are having a car show and dyno day at the shop May 18th and I am hoping to have this running by then. I also ordered new front bumper and side skirts and a roll pan for the rear bumper. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will make some serious progress on this project since the weather is finally above freezing!!!
Hey everyone haven't posted for a while I have my diff installed but had to put off the truck for a while had to much work to do.
Hey everyone just thought I would post a pic of my dad's 68 Torino. It doesn't have a Y in it but I would think you would all appreciate a nice old ford. I has a built 302 with Edlebrock Performer aluminum heads, performer intake, cam and 150 shot of Nitrous. It's a great joy driving this car.

Well we the screaming y-block for the first time in its new home. We jsut have to finish the exhaust and intercooler plumbing and it's ready for a test drive. Hope this video works I was having trouble uploading it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=497950446926789
We already solved the throttlee issue and I installed a big kill switch in the dash that is very accessible.
Well this 99 F150 2wd is a light truck and will handle my dyno trailer as well. Plus we can buy any performance suspension upgrades we want.
Don't worry we won't go that crazy. The 99 F150 is a great looking truck . Me and my dad decided we will continue my build with his old 65 F100 2 wheel drive out at the farm. He slid down a hill hunting about twenty years ago and it's been sitting ever since. Nice part is all my stuff from this truck will transfer right over. My engine and transw will stay in the 99 and I will build a new y-block for the 65. I have been looking for an excuse to build another y-block. There are three up the street in a guys grage so I should be able to get ahold of one. We were thinking of using a nice noisy kenne bell on that one. We weill just mount it remotely on the side. That will be this fall.
Hey everyone we are making some progress on the new build. I will have more pics tomorrow. The biggest question has been the differential, we would like to use the original diff in the 99 F150 which is an 8.8in rear diff. I was on the phone for hour today talking to people about if it would handle the power. The consensus came to that they can handle a lot of power but would be borderline for the power we are running. We thought we would just swap the diff from my 62 to that on since it has a locker and Moser 31 spline axles, but would require some modifying and the diff is about 5 inches narrower than the F150. I noticed that one of my axle seals was leaking so I removed the axle to find that those badass Moser 31 spline axles were twisted so I called Moser and they said yeah those probable aren't going to handle 1000 horsepower. So in any situation I would either need to completely rebuild my current 9in or build that 8.8in that might handle the power. So I talked to Strange Engineering and I am ordering a prebuilt custom 9in rear diff that will bolt into the 99 F150 with custom 12in rear disc brakes. It ended up being about $400 dollars more to just order a prebult brand new rear diff than modifying mine. Plus it will have the bigger late Ford rear axle bearing, Detroit locker, 35 spline axles, rear disc brakes and 3 1/2 tubes and a 10yr warranty on everything on the axle. The 35 spline axle should hold up! I will take pics of the axles tomorrow. I do have a pic of the current 9in diff housing though, it is hard to see in the pic but the leaf spring plates are actually tearing away from the axle and on the front side it is crushing the axle tube from all the hp and torque. It is awesome looking at those damaged parts that are damaged, not from abuse, but from simply too much POWER! I cannot wait for this Y to crank that F150 down the road. I will take some pics of the p/s pump bracket that Chris built and the badass turbo oil feed manifold/fuel pump cover that Chris also built.

It's hard to see but that axle is crushing in where the leaf spring pads are.
I will admitted I did not plan on making this much power when I put it together. I think the diff tubes caved in before I had the ladder bars installed. We noticed an extreme difference with those installed. My new axle assembly will be built for it. Funny thing is that we are still running the stock size u-joint at the rear diff and that's been hanging in there also. My trans is an E4OD and I am installing the two wheel drive output shaft now and also installing high energy blue clutches. It was working perfectly but some of the clutches were getting a little warm. My torque converter was built for 1300 HP by Midwest Converters so hopefully that hangs in there.
Here is what a twin turbocharged Y-block does to a Moser 31 spline hardened axle shaft!! It is also crushing the housing.

You can see how it has been crushing the housing and bending the leaf spring pad.

Chris is showing off his enginuity. What better than a Y-BLOCK oil distribution for Twin Turbos on a Y-BLOCK that doubles as a fuel pump block off plate. He drilled through the plate so both turbo oil feeds will branch from there. It's pretty cool we think.

We got our p/s pump mounted. I bought a dual belt water pump pulley from Jegs that is for a small block ford. We just had to make the hole bigger and press the mounting pad farther onto the water pump shaft and it lined up pretty well. I seen John's set up which is nice but we have our crank trigger on the crank pulley so it would be difficult to mount another belt down there.

Going into it's new home in a 99 F150 two wheel drive.

My Y is going to be real happy in this truck. We moved the dipstick to the front location in the block because our motor mount is in the way of the old location.
The feed oil comes from the oil port back by the oil filter. The inside of the block has been drilled out so the oil will pass right throuh aluminum block. Prior we just had a 4 way block at the oil feed posrt on the engine and ran two lines from there. This will look nice with two braided lines coming from it.
He is working on the video. He bought a new go pro and is having trouble with his video manager. I haven't driven the truck on the street yet because i ordered new carpet and headliner so my seats are out right now. But i have had a chance to install my stereo and i built a custom speaker box above my fuel tank. Installed the antenna and some sound proofing in the doors and on the roof. My carpet from lmc will be here tomorrow so I will be busy installing it and i will take some more pics of the interior for everyone. I should have it on the road tomorrow also.
Hey everyone got my carpet today so I began installing it and my seats. Got everything together in just in time today for the snow and crappy roads. So I didn't drive it but it is nice to have my seats and shifter back in the truck. I took some pics of the interior for everyone.

The carpet install went pretty good. It's tough when you have to drill holes through the carpet because it you don't cut it the drill bit will pull the threads out of the carpet in line down the carpet. OOOOPS! At least it only happened under were the seats are.

You can see the beautiful weather in the backround. Also see the new mirrors. I like them, they wil be especially helpful with the dyno trailer on this summer.

New black carpet and seat covers. I like the black interior color it looks great with the chrome.

I finally have a boot on my 4X4 shifter. I install sound deadining in the doors and under the carpet.

I also bought new window cranks, arm rests and the cubby trays for the doors. They look nice with the chrome trim. I am a sucker for the LMC magazine.

My custom speaker box it turned out nice and sounds good right there. I also bought an 8" subwoofer from LMC that only stands about 2.5" high and installed it under the center console. It has been a long time since I have messed with stereo stuff but I like the sound.

The old girl is looking good and is hungry for chevy blood!!!
Hey everyone I have some not so good news! Don't worry my engine is perfectly fine but my truck isn't. We were out just doing some minor road tuning and tried a few pulls and my throttle stuck wide open on one of our pulls. When he went to back out of the throttle he noticed the pedal wasn't coming up and at that point the turbos spooled and boom everything that engine had was letting us have it. Now you think that it would be easy to just shut the engine off but on my truck you have to turn the key off and then hit the kill switch. It took only seconds and we were going around sixty and the truck was sliding out of control for the ditch. At that point I grabbed the laptop I was tuning with and just held on so it wouldn't smack me in the head cause I thought for sure we were going to start rolling becasue we were hitting the ditch sideways. This whole time the engine is bouncing off the rev limiter at over 700 whp. We hit the ditch and it's kindof blurry from there. A bunch of noise and banging around and we came to a stop on our wheels. The truck flipped on it's side and slid down the ditch them ended on it's wheel, the whole time the engine is wide open. Once we stopped and I realized that we were ok I reached over and hit the kill switch. The right side is ok but the left side took a beating. It's fixable but not this summer so I found a truck locally to put my engine and trans in. A 99 F150 2 wheel drive short box. I did find what happened with my throttle, once turned the boost up to 24 lbs the pressure on the secondary throttle plates actually pushed them over center and that locked the linkage on the the outside. We will build a stop for that when we get it in the other truck. I will post the new build in the new truck. We already have all the mounts built and the best part is that my headers and turbos will work perfect. I just have to change my trans to two wheel drive which is easy with a new output shaft and extension housing. It is beyond disappointing about my truck becasue we spent the whole winter getting the interior done and the turbos set up but at least the engine still runs perfect. It was actually a nice day and the roads were good and dry but I guess it's hard to conrtol around a 1000 hp whenn you can't back out of the throttle.

This is how the truck came to a stop. You can onle see on track in front of it so some how I think it was on its left side on one or two wheels and kindof flopped into this position. The highay is straight in front of it about 60 feet away. The ditch was pretty steep I can't believe we didn't roll over. I think that the throttle being stuck open acutally saved us because it slid instead of digging in and flipping over.

The fender, hood and door are no big deal but the roof bent over and that is the crummy part. I will fix it but not now.

We have the engine out and ready for the other truck.
Ya we are ok and in the end it is just metal that can be reshaped and fixed!
It was at full power for about thirty seconds so I think it can handle drag runs and other races.
Thanks for all the positive feed back it has been difficult to realize something you have been working on for five years is no longer drivable. But my engine is OK and will be scooting another Ford down the road soon. I will post a pic of my spark monday. If I remember I am running around 6 degrees at 24 psi. We are at 19 degrees @ 0 vacuum or 90 kpa. I will have to hook my battery back up and take a pic of my map.
By the way we did have to do some slight custom tubbing on the rear fender wells for the tires to clear. Not bad just a little custom work. Was wondering if anyone has a flat black truck here and if they have a pic?
We decided to hit it hard today.

Took a few more pics for you. I decided to paint the interior also. I have new carpet, door arm rests, door panel storage inserts, headliner, inside door handles and a ford stereo from lmc truck on it's way. Doesn't take long to rack up a good bill with lmc.

I sent my injectors off to WhitchHunter in Washingtonto get flow tested. We were going to do this when we bought them but decided not to. The last couple runs we made it started to run a touch leaner so we figured as long as it is down for a while it would be a good time to do it.

Found some sweet twin turbo badges online!

Well we got the injectors back and it is a good thing that we sent them off. They were performing at roughly half of what they should. One injector was less than half. We installed them and turned up the boost 2 lbs to about 23psi and hit are goal!!!!

The grey areas are what the injectors tested at before cleaning and the white area is after. The difference is incredible.

Well we hit this a few times so we can confirm it. Engine ran great and runs great still. Very happy with this motor and can't wait for summer to check it out on the street!!!
We let everything cool off and some friends showed up and had to make another run.

We have some new video coming soon. We decided to stop cranking up the boost for now I am looking forward to a summer of driving this thing. I am waiting for my new carpet so I can intall my seats again.
That's what we are planning now. Going to drop the truck as much as we can and put some nice wheels and sticky tires on it. That way we can still do 4 wheel drags for better traction. So my buddy was harping on me that this engine won't be able to lay down this power over and over. So we spent some time today dialing in my electronic Turbo Smart boost controller. This is what the engine put down in consecutive runs after everything was hot and we had been messing with the controller for a while. Not a whole lot of power loss in consecutive back to back runs!!! I think this engine will be just fine. Plus we made multiple mid 500 whp runs before we got the controller dialed in at the boost we wanted. The last run out IAT was at 125 degrees.

I like that article. Don't worry we aren't done with old ford yet there is more power left and the next step is to get it to the ground. We have plans to use the factory 4X4 and lower the truck. We should have some nice video this summer of so nice races.
I already installed the rear loop and need one for the front yet. The frame is in great condition but I do believe it is in need of support. Once we installed the rear loop and went on the road and torqued it up the rear diff moved so far to one side that the drive shaft actually struck the loop. I would say that the diff at least had to move 3-4 in to the side. Once we lower the truck we will build the traction bars and build some sort of track bar that goes from the frame to the rear diffto support it side to side.
Well we have made some progress on our lowering project. We decided to scrap the mud tires and ordered some new wheels and tires. Some may like it some may not but we think it's gonna look sick. Got some 20" wheels with 305/50R20 tires. Alot stickier and will handle better. They should look really nice I think we got an all black 5 spoke wheel. We also made some progress on the lowering. I removed the rear stock 4" blocks from the rear and Chris is build new front shackles to lower the front. It helps and a few different ways by lowering the truck it will handle better at higher speeds and it also improved my drive shaft angles a lot. We also installed some ProComp ladder bars today, here are some pics of the progress. The wheels will be here tomorow and I cannot wait.

Chris is tig welding the riveted cross members.

The ladder bars turned out realy nice.

We were able to use the old front leaf spring shackle mount for the front of the ladder bars. It worked so well it was scary.

Chris is starting on the new front leaf spring shackles.

The rear brackets mount inbetween the leaf spring and axle. You can see that we removed the stock 4in block.

Drivers side ladder bar. I really think these will improve the handling and frame torque up.
Not too worried about the steering I have been driving this truck for years with 12.5 in wide mud tires so I am used to eating my Wheaties before i drive my truck. The tires should just clear inner fender well on the rear but we are prepared so modify it slightly if we have to. We wanted to go with the 305 so we could vet as much traction as possible.
Well we have the wheels on and the shackles done. I am liking the DUBS. I think it's time for a new coat of black paint?
Maybe some drag slicks!
Yeah we were talking this morning and we are going to do some frame bracing to firm up the chassis a little bit. We were thinking some cross bracing, was wondering if anyone has done anything like that on a chassis like this one or is there any common weak areas on the frame to know about.
I have the drive shaft loop on and we are gonna build the traction bars half ways up the frame and build front back to about the same location. Gonna try some 4 wheel drive launches. We are gonna use universal roll cage pipe and line it with sheet metal and have Robi's Repair laser cut into them. It will look sexy with ladder bars on the front and back. Took a couple of underneath pics for a before and after.

Ya we seen those and they would work but we are kinda going for a triangular framed look.
Well the frame is completely rust free but we were out driving it again today thinking about our traction problem and came up with an idea. I have about 3 of these trucks out at the farm. All two wheel drive. We may remove the front diff and convert it to a two wheel drive. For a few reasons. We can drop the truck to the ground and utilize some speed from it, can install some sufficient disc brakes for the power, install some new sticky tires and stabalize to hit some much higher speeds. I love the power but right now it is just a dyno queen. Just a thought but I am considering it.
It wouldn't take much to covert to two wheel drive. I would leave my t-case in the truck, remove the front drive shaft, front diff and leaf springs and install two wheel drive front springs and beam. Then I could lower the truck and mount more speed rated and sticky tires on the back.
Here is the proof of the nasty runs. Me and the guys are stoked right now and having a Crown Royal to celebrate. I hope you enjoy this y-block vid as much as I do!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8oahapp6D4
Just want to give a special thanks to John Mummert for all the help, parts, heads, advice and info he has donated to this project.
No. Even though it has mud tires it is a street vehicle. It's most original with very little rust and I would rather go fast with it than wreck it in the mud. But if the times come it won't be afraid of the mud.
I have seen a lot of mud trucks around here in ND. I would not want to class my truck with them. I would be likely to pull a sled than mud run. We have many power pulls up here and I just might stretch her legs.
Absolutely my shop number is 701-734-6011. Call anytime from 7:30 to 5:30 mon-fri. Ask for Robi. My other number is 701-290-3011.
So i took the truck out on the dry roads today and wow. Next on the list is a driveshaft loop and some ladder bars. That truck is ridiculous. Can't keep it straight through first and second gear and even in third at 70 mph it starts to slide. The chassis just twists in third gear when you put hammer down it is amazing! Will try to get some road vids soon. After we build some ladder bars and a loop.
E85. We started building the exhaust it finally showed up. Will be running next week. We will have pics and vids for you.
Well we made some progress.  The exhaust showed up and some fittings.  We were able to put it together and start it up!!!  We don't have any dyno runs yet because a couple plugs for the turbos won't be here until next week.  Here are some pics and videos.

The shiny stainless steel looks great.  I am glad we went with mufflers this time it sounds great.

We are using a Turbo Smart E-boost 2 boost controller.  You can see it behind the throttle body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLduo0YxsA

Very happy with the new sound!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBBAZYeFDE

The turbos sound nice and the blow off valve operation is sick.  I think they will spool up very nice.  This was our first start up and it was a nice surprise not to have a single leak!!  (You can also see that badass looking intake, complimants of John Mummert)

Well we were able to make a few dyno runs. When we would get to about 17 psi it would pop sometimes. So we put in a colder spark plug went from BR7EF to a TR8IX. It got better but didn't quit completely. I think i'll call ngk in the morning and see if there is a colder plug. Once we back the boost down to 14 psi or less it works great. If anyone has any thoughts that would be great. I don't know if it would have anything to do with vale springs or what, but it is directly related to boost pressure once we hit 17psi or highter it will do that. I will let you know what I find out. Here is the graph we got so far. Laying down so nice torque!

Well talked to the guys at ngk and they suggested opening the gap. Tried that and got very worse. Closed gap to .020 and this is what happened.

This thing has not run better it is really happy at 607 whp and 750 lb/ft of torque @ 22psi!!!! BOOM!
Jim Rowe (2/8/2013)
What a motor. BOOM? you didn't blow it up?

BOOM, as in we just made 600 whp with a 50+ year old engine for the first time to our knowledge. As far as we know no one has hit those numbers. Stock block, stock main caps and main cap bolts, steel crank, probe pistons, scat rods, badass Mummert intake and some sweet touched up heads by John Mummert!! E85 and 22psi Twin HE351CW from 06 Cummins.
With a calculated 30% drivetrain loss we are at 787 crank hp.. It could very well be more drivetrain loss than that though with 35" mud tires, a transfer case, auto trans etc..
By Hutz 292 - 12 Years Ago
Got both manifolds done and ready to send off to Jet Hot for ceramic coating.  We will have hot sides of the turbo coated and the cold side they will powder coat in Ford blue.  Everything is going to look really nice.  Here a couple of pics of the manifolds.  Chris did a great job and they are very symmetrical.

Jet Hot called and should have the manifolds and turbos coated by the end of next week cannot wait till they get here.  I will post some pics when they show up.  Now we have to order some nice shiny exhaust pipe for the down pipes and waste gate dumps.  I am excited to here the dual exhaust with turbos!!
I figured I could put some of my tax dollars to work for me for a change. At least get a bit of our 60 billion bailout dollars back from a company that still builds junk vehicles.
They finally showed up!  Here are some pics.

The headers and turbo hot sides are ceramic coated and the cold side of the turbos are powder coated.

Picture of the collector Chris built.

All new Turbosmart waste gates, blow off valve and electronic boost controller.  It's gonna be sick!!

Blue felpro with 125 lb/ft of torque plus 90 degrees. ARP studs of course. Had about thousand mile on the other head gaskets with 15 lbs of boost and they looked perfect when I pulled the heads off. No signs of leakage anywhere. Someone told me i couldn't torque them that much but I haven't blown a head gasket yet.
It's coming together we have all the stainless pipe ordered for the exhaust and waste gates. All the blue turbo smart couplers for intercooler piping on their way. It's looking good and cannot wait.

My copper gaskets were $85 but that included the setup fee.  I believe the flanges will be the same since it will be made of 1/2in stainless.  Of course you could use steel but were are going to build the headers out stainless just because they will be a little stronger that way.  We buy 90 degree bends and some straight then just tig weld them.  Will also need a t4 turbo flange (possibly twoSmile  and then just cut them to fit the flange.
Enjoy!  We made a quick video for you before we started the new custom header build.  I will take pics of the progress throughout.  The video is inside the shop we get more this spring outside once it warms up. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJUdaxEdmMQ&feature=youtu.be

Hey everyone we are building a new turbo set up, a little more efficient one hopefully.  Going to custom build some new headers out of stainless steel.  Going to move the turbo up higher above the engine (and put a bigger turbo on right of way, naturally) it will make it more visible under the hood also for a better look.  Also give me acces to my spark plugs if need be.  My old header flanges were starting to wear out from the weight of the turbo.  We will support the turbo completely from the engine now and just run the headers to it.  So all they will have to support is themselves.  Here are some pics of the early going on the headers.

Well plans changed again.  We ended up with a second turbo from a 06 Cummins.  We are going to put both of those on instead of one big one.  Should spool faster and will move more air together than the single turbo we were looking at.  Chris is custom building the headers then we will have them ceramic coated.  The wastegates will go forward and down.  Plus this build will add a little bling bling to the project.  Here are some pics of the first turbo manifold.

We will let the boys ar Probe now what they can rate their pistons at for horsepower.  We are actually using some probe pistons in a 4.6l Mustang build.
Here are a few more pics.  We have one runner on the right side done.  Love how the turbos just peek out over the radiator support.

We didn't notice until now that the turbos just happen to say Holset 1 and Holset 2, not sure why but it was like it was meant to be!

Right hand turbo.

Well I figured out my issue with my engine.  I had valves sticking in the guides.  No big deal just pulled the heads off and had the guides reemed a little and now it is running top notch.  We just headed to my hometown with the dyno this weekend and pulled it there with the old ford.  Pulled the trailer and dyno like a champ.  The turbo charged y-block was a big hit.  It drew a lot of attention.  everyone was suprised at the power it is putting down.  We had a twin turbo chevelle on the dyno that put down 831 wheel horse power.  Naturally that just provoked me now.  He is a friend of mine from back home and I will not be out done.  I might not beat that but I will try my best.  There is some video of the dyno in action on youtube if you search Robi's Repair.  I had really never seen a rail car before and I got to drive two of them on the dyno.  What a rush!!!
That's a good point.  I will have to ask what they machined for clearance in the valve guides.  I just pulled the trailer 300 miles and about half of that was under boost and everything worked great.  That engine pulls hard and definately flows better with John's heads on there.  I am thinking I can squeeze at least 18-20 psi out of my fuel management system soon.  If a chevy small block can handle 21 psi my Y can too!!
I will have some nice video to come soon. We built an engine in a 01 subaru wrx and he wants to race the old ford. Naturally I thought this was a great idea. Will have some video of as soon as it takes place. I know it's not a y-block but i would love to show you guys my dad's 68 Torino GT. Go to youtube and search robi's repair there is a nice video of it on the dyno with a NOS run hope you like it. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3lOSrmla2Zs
Hey guys had a question.  My truck has been doing this for a while I just thought I would see if anyone had this similar issue.  When I turn my truck off after I have been driving down the road or pulling the trailer and shut the engine off it will backfire.  Sometimes up to 6-7 times.  If I let the engine idle for about a minute it usually won't do it.  It is always out the exhaust.  Don't know if it is to rich at idle or if my exhaust is super hot and igniting the fuel.  The weird part is sometimes it will backfire 6,7 or 8 times about 2 seconds apart.  I tell you what when it happens you swear someone is shooting at you.  I really don't mind it too terrible much but it can be embarrasing at times.  Just wondering if anyone has had this issue of any suggestions.  It did start doing this even before I put the turbo on.
Hey guys just built a bracket for my turbo.  When we built it we figured that the headers and y-pipe would be enough to hold the turbo up.  The turbo had plenty of room between it and the frame when we built it and after a while it was touching the frame so I had to cut the frame SLIGHTLY.  Well a little while later the turbo is hitting the frame again.  So it was either time to chop the frame off or just build a bracket to support it.  Probably would have been a good idea to start but boy it seemed like a lot of work thenSmile  Well it sounds like the 62 F100 4x4 and 02 Subaru WRX compettitve driving for a 1/4 is going to happen soon.  He said he wants to race from a 20mph start so he doesn't explode his trans with a launch which works great for me because that's excatly when my turbo is fully spooled.  I don't know how it's going to end up but I think he under estimates the old Ford.  Can't wait for it to happen and we will have some great in car and outside video for everyone. 
Well the race is postponed.  His tubo took a dive.  Now he is going to have us install a bigger one.  NATURALLY.  In the meantime I am going to build some new custom headers and y-pipe for my pickup.  I keep blowing header gaskets, my header flanges are wore out do to being removed a hundred times.  I stopped by our local steel shop with a water jet machine and they are going to cut me some 1/2in stainless steal flanges so we can build some new ones.  I must say it is going to be very temping to just put two turbos on as long as we are building headers.  I will take pictures and keep everyone posted on what we decide to do.  One on each side would look really nice. 
I bought a 20 gal fuel cell that we will mount underneath the truck and pull the fuel from there. It has a fuel sender built in so i will use that we will run a line from bottom of main fuel tank and let it gravity feed the auxiliary tank. The return fuel will go back to the top tank. Cannot wait till it's ready to go back on the dyno.
Hey everyone,

I have been busy haven't had a lot of time to tune on the ford but have done some and have some updates.  I dodged a bullet.  I am experimenting with some 18mm to 14mm adapters and was running a champion (not sure exactly on the part # but it was a 10 heat range plug) spark plug.  I was having some preignition problems and some weird problems when I would run under boost or 0 vacuum for a while it would start to ignite the fuel as the intake valve was opening so I would back out of the throttle to let it go away.  While I was trying to tune this problem out it preignited on me and them I had a dead cylinder.  I removed my spark plugs and found #3 spark plug was wet.  I decided to check the compression and there was none.  Removed the valve cover and this is what I found.

Them I did a cylinder leakage test and exhaust valve wasn't sealing.  I removed the head and exhaust valve must have been held opern during the preignition and hit the piston, fortunately the cylinder and piston are fine.  John hooked me up with some new parts and have it back together now with some BR7EF NGK spark plugs.  I have it tuned to 435 hp at the wheels and 515 lb/ft of torque on 12lbs of boost @5200 rpm, should make power up to 6000 rpm but I ran out of time today on the dyno.  My new fuel system is much more efficient now.  My injector duty cycle is only at 45%.  Plenty of room for more boost.  These new spark plugs seem to be working well.  The champion plugs had about a 1/4 in of plug that stuck in to the cylinder with no threads.  There was no place to transfer heat to so I am assuming that it would turn into a glow plug once it got hot enough and would ignite the fuel.  Any comments would be great.  More boost to come!!!!

Is that AR-32 autolite a 18mm or 14mm thread.  I will run these BR7EF on the dyno and see how they do.
After two years of work and trial and error we are getting the results we were looking for.  I turned up the boost on to 12 psi and you can see what happens.  This turbo is much happier at higher boost.  I am going to go with one step colder plug an NGK 8 heat range.  Still had some problems with #7 cylinder under boost I did bend that exhaust push rod after some time on the dyno but was much better than before.  I think that the cylinder is getting a little hotter than the rest and valve is hanging up, i'll run a little colder plug and see what happens.  I finally have a picture of my runs at 6psi and 12psi.  The hp and torque are impressive I am very happy with the results and I feel confident about 20 psi.  The engine responded incredibly well to 12 psi. 

The green is 6 psi and the red and 12 psi.  I am very happy with my Y now.  It has been a lot of work and MONEY but I can live with results like that.  Looking forward to colder plugs and 20 psi!!!

(someone told me that engine won't handle 20psi but we will see what happens)

You hollow heads said that bent push rods are common on boosted Y-Blocks.  Have you found a cause for it?  I went to a one step colder spark plug and it didn't act up until we got into higher boost, John thinks that maybe a colder spark plug may work.  It is #7 exhaust valve that is giving me trouble.  Any tips or something that you guys have changed to help situation?
I am starting to think that John might be right about my problem with the bent push rod.  This problem did not start until I switched my spark plugs.  The first set of plugs I was using I would have this problem when I wasn't even under boost.  It would act up at about 3,000 rpm in vacuum.  Now I could run the engine all day at 3-6,000 rpm and engine would run very smooth and content.  I didn't have this problem until after a few dyno runs at 12 lbs of boost.  I think I am going to go with a 8 heat range ngk plug and see what happens.  I am confident about 20 psi.  The engine is built with the best parts and I as long as I keep my tune and afr at the right specs I don't see and parts breaking with 500-600 wheel horse power, which is were I am hoping to be at 20 psi.  Don't worry the y-block world will be the first ones to know when I hit that mark or SCATTER my engine trying!!!!  No worries it's just a bunch of iron when it comes down to it.  (and a little money too) but that's PAPER!!  LIVE FOR NOTHING OR DIE FOR SOMETHING.  (STALLONE)
I am not sure exactly what thickness I would need.  I would guess whatever a crushed gasket thickness would be.  Have you used any yet?  Do they require more torque and seal good?
I got my pistons back from being milled down and put back in my engine.  They look great and should make a much better combustion chamber.  My heads should be here hopefully monday.  I also ordered a Borg Warner S3008SX-66 turbo charger which will support up to 800 whp.  Should not run out of air this time.  Should have it back together by end of the week.  My old head gaskets also showed no signs of compression leakage what so ever.  They had about 1200 miles on them with 8-10 lbs of boost.  Will update on any progress.

That was a piston from a previous misshap about a year agoSmile  John those heads are gonna be nasty they look great.  I have them bolted down and the engine back together already.  Thanks a bunch!  Might be fired up tomorow.  Here is a look at my new turbo.  I might just sleep with it under my pillow tonight it's perty sexy.  This baby is gonna hit hard.  It will be one angry y-block!!!

One to the left is the old one.  New turbo is a S366 Borg Warner which will support up to 800hp.  It breathes!!!

Hey everyone got it fired up. Thanks for the heads John they really move some air.  I can tell from the extra fuel I had to add to my map.  The turbo is also bigger but my compression is under control now.  We are able to tune the engine much easier now at proper air fuel ratios.  Although I found that I am going to have to upgrade my fuel supply system.  At about 4,000 rpm it was going lean and I could not add enough fuel.  Chris watched the fuel pressure gauge and it falls to around 0 at WOT under boost.  I ordered a bigger fuel pump and I am going to tap a new fuel feed from the tank.  I am still using the original fuel line from the tank that is only 5/16 line.  I think I may be starving my pump.  My current Holley in-line fuel pump is rated for 500 hp with forced induction, subtract about 30-40% off of that for E85 and I  may just be at its limit also.  I ordered a Aeromotive A1000 that should support up to 1,200 hp forced induction.  I am also going to enlarge all my fuel lines for more volume.  I was tuning it a 8lb's of boost (same as with the previous heads and turbo) and the engine ramped up to 375 wheel horsepower and 495 lb/ft of torque at 3,750 rpm before it started to run out of fuel and go lean.  I am looking forward to getting up to 6,000 rpm under boost.  Once I get my new fuel system we will turn up the boost to 15 psi right away.  My engine is a lot happier now with lower compression.  Thanks again to John those heads are bad ass!!
I am running a return line right now but the guy at jegs recommended that the return be the same size as the feed line so that way the fuel pump is running at peak efficiency all the time even while it is returning fuel, makes sense, I will just run 1/2 line all the way around that way I won't have to worry about it.  Right now I am tuning it in at 8 lbs of boost.  As soon as I get my fuel system updated we will start right at 15 psi.  The truck runs great driving it only runs out of fuel when we make dyno pulls.  I did use it to pull our 8x24 enclosed trailer to a car show on sunday where we had our dyno set up all day.  Of course the old ford was parked proudly with its hood open and a lot of DROOL all around it Smile  It pulled the trailer like a champ.  If anyone is thinking about a turbo for any project I would highly suggest a Borg Warner S366.  That baby rocks and whistles like a D9 CAT.  My buddy was following beside me on the highway and he said he could hear the turbo the entire time (even over my obnoxiously loud exhaust).  Don't worry my new pump and fuel line will be here soon and we will turning up the boost soon.  I have really high hopes for some monster power I can really tell the difference now with the lower compression.  I am not sure what it is exactly but I would guess between 8-9.5 but I really have no idea.  All I know is when that turbo spools those 33 in mud tires can't seem to find enough pavement!!!!

Heading to Buggies and Blues car show with the trailer and dyno.

Ford made it home after a long day of dynoing cars. 

My new fuel system showed up today!!  I shouldn't run out of fuel now.

A little more video of the ford.  It's running pretty good now.

E85 is a great way to go.  I had lots of detonation and dieseling problems on 91octane fuel.  E85 is about 105-110 octane and it is very reasonably priced.  You will need about 30% more fuel across the board.  Everyone around here with performance builds are running E85.  It delivers great power and it is a lot more stable fuel.  There really is no problem with corrosion, all our current gas is blended with up to 15% ethanol already.  You will love it if you switch.  It is kind of cocky when you pull up and people wonder what that smell is and what kind of fuel you are running.  It is also cool when you pull up the ethanol pump with a 62 F100, you get some funny looks!
Just talked to John Mummert today about some dished pistons.  Hope he gets some good feedbackon them.  Once I get some lower compression and a less disturbing piston and combustion chanber we are going to insall a giant Borg Warner and bring the boost up to 18-20 psi.  I know I can get 500 wheel hp out this engine.  Curious to see how well this Y holds together.  The entire lower end is forged and the crank is steel so I think the lower end should be fine.  Can't wait to here from John about some dished pistons.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "ENOUGH POWER"
Just ordered different heads and valves today for my engine.  I found someone to machine the dome off the top of my pistons.  Compression ratio should be approximetaly 8.5:1.  I will also have bigger valves in these heads because the bigger chamber.  Cannot wait to crank up the boost and eliminate my detonation issues.  Will let you know when I get more done.
What brand or company can I purchase copper head gaskets?  I haven't been able to find a source for different head gaskets.  If you could let me know that would be great.  It looks like if you shave just the dome off the piston it will not affect the thickness of the piston.
Wondering if the Hollow Heads could get some copper gaskets?  John is almost done with my heads.  If you have some cut I will buy them if not there is a shop in town with a cnc machine to cut them but if you could get me some that would be great.  Have you used many of them yet and how have they held up?
What kind of pistons are you thinking of using or what compression ration are you shooting for.  I think my compression is higher that I think.  I would actually like to lower my comp and crank up my boost to like 20-25 psi.  Once we get mine tuned in on 10psi and it holds up I garuntee we will TURN IT UP!!!  There is no such thing as carbon in our engines. 
I am going to buy some different heads to lower my compression ratio.  We can't get any timing into the engine.  If we advance the timing it will hardly run and if we retard it, it will backfire.  We calculated our compression @ about 11.5-12:1. I am running E85 but I under boost I don't think we can keep the combustion chamber under control. 
 We actually found a problem with my crank trigger setting in my software and seems to run better.  Still have some mid range tuning to do but I am really happy with the results.

I started that run at high rpms because we needed some more tuning at low rpm under high load.  We have tuned it in better since then and it made about 380 lb/ft at the wheels at about 5000 rpms.  We have a lot smoother power curve now I pulled out some fuel.  I found that my engine likes about 12.2:1 afr.  We initially tried to tune to 11-11.5:1 under full load and boost.  It is not happy there.  Pulled some fuel out and now it runs better.  Didn't do anymore pulls on the dyno because it's running great and we have a evening cruise this weekend and I didn't want to miss it because I wrecked something.  Will do some more tuning next week.
Hey everyone we went on a cruise last night.  A buddy of ours puts on these cruises about twice a month and this went wild when he put it on face book.  We had about 300 cars last night, and my buddy rode with me so the old ford was right in front.  I figured a lot out last night driving around.  I need to pull alot of my acceleration enrichment fuel out.  If I smash the throttle down fast it goes super rich and can't recover.  That's what was happening in my dyno pulls.  This engine loves about 12.5:1afr and no richer.  If I would tip into the throttle and let the turbo start to spool then hammer it it was a monster.  I trashed a honda 2000, new GTO (I really hurt his feelings) and my buddies subaru.  It would spool up in second gear (E40D trans) and the truck would just slide around like it was on ice.  I found that compression is not going to be a problem.  That thing ran perfect all night, I abused it, drove it 30 miles home and there was not a drop underneath it this morning.  That was a huge victory to me!!  Plus my head is very swollen today because the old ford completely stole the show.  My hood was open the whole time with ooohs and awwws.  One thing a motor head loves to do is brag about himself, his knowledge and his TRUCK.  ESPESCIALLY WHEN IT HAS A Y IN IT!!! 
Thanks guys, I was still buzzing all day today.  Here is a little teaser video I will try to get some rip roaring video tomorrow.  I had just started it after it was sitting for a while so you can see the water that spit out the exhaust from the E85.  Sometimes that thing when its cold will throw just a pile of water out.  I hope the audio is ok.

I am not sure what O ring means.  I am running a crank trigger for our commander software and we are in control of the timing curve throughout the whole map so we can retard the timing or advance at will, we found to pull out about 1 degree of timing per pound of boost.  We got it tuned today on the dyno and found out what we were concerned with.  As soon as we started out dyno pull and boost started we ran out of injector.  Me setup has four 85lb injectors.  As soon as I hit wide open throttle the duty cycle spiked at 115 which is irrational.  Our air fuel went to 14.5 when it should be 11:1.  So we are either going to buy four 2000 cc injecors or install four more injectors into the current system.  We have a 2in spacer plate under the throttle body and four injector bosses that we can weld in and then build some fuel rails.  This will be a little more work but the four injectors are about $1100.  I am happy with the engine so far though.  We started the dyno pull in 3rd gear (E4OD Auto locked in dyno mode) @ 65 mph and only pulled four about 2 seconds but the engine started there 185 wheel horsepower and 225 lb/ft of torque at 3100 rpm.  Ir shows good potential with over 3000 rpm's to go and 10 lbs of boost.  All I need now is MORE FUEL!!!  I will try to get some video soon the engine sounds nasty with the turbo and 4in straight pipe.  You can really here the compression just listening to the exhaust.  It turns heads.
Thanks guy right now I am just using fel-pro head gaskets because that is all I really can find.  I had a alot of trouble blowing head gaskets even before we boosted it.  We ended up posting the heads and throwing the torque spec out the window.  I am using ARP head studs and don't know the the torque but I got tired of replacing head gaskets so I torqued them to a 100 lb/ft and then gave them a hell of lot more.  I have not blown a head gasket since.  If you could give a link o place to get those head gaskets that would be great because I have a feeling that 8lb's of boost won't be enough and I will push this engine to the max.  That's why we build them!!  All the internals are forged so I am not worried about the lower end.  I decided to just order 4 bigger injector instead of adding four.  Gonna make some phone calls this week and try to get some ordered.  I will keep you posted.  Don't have a video yet because my dyno runs last about 2 seconds.  Started a run last night at 80 mph in 3rd gear and my split second WOT before it went lean started at 195 wheel horsepower.  I am sure I will order some injectors this week I won't be able to sleep just wondering what that Y-Block can do.
I ordered my injectors today from moran motorsports they are 235 lb/hr injectors, my old ones were 85 lb/hr.  Those should be sufficient I hope.  Thery are designed to atomize the fuel great (so I read) but they do look like great injectors.  I talked to Wichunter (they clean and modify injectors) and he said he has tested a lot of their injectors and said they work great.  I cannot wait to get them and push this y-block. 
Just wanted to let everyone know that I added some pics.
Well today was supposed to be the day to find out what this y could do.  I have my bigger injectors in and a new holley fuel pump, that twists the frame when it starts up and we got it tuned on the dyno and running great.  Went to do a few pulls and when under high boost it would sputter and backfire sometimes.  We added timing, took timing away and nothing seemed to help.  I removed the spring from the wastegate and figured we would try naturally aspirated but had the same problem.  I felt like an ignition problem.  I pulled my headers off and pulled my plugs and they were fine so I removed the protective heat boots and 4 of my plug wire ends were shredded from the heat.  I switched to autolite spark plugs because I was told they are alittle colder plug.  Unfortunately they are alittle longer than the champion.  A little too close I guess.  I ordered some Accel ceramic plugs.  Good for 2000 degrees ferinheit.  Maybe tomorrow.  We'll get her done yet!!  What would I do I guess if everything just worked.  We wouldn't learn anything right.  I will let you know.
I do have a regulator and my pressure is at 43psi key on engine off.  114 lobe separation from Isky cams.  I did get it tuned and ready for some pulls on monday.  I had to replace my plug wires and header gaskets.  Had some copper ones built and installed them but my headers are not machined perfectly straight so they did not seal at all.  Had to build new ones.  Did a lot of tuning on the dyno and then test drove to adjust some small things and now it should be ready.  Are you guys still using that port fuel injection I am interested in if that is working well.  I think I could get better response with that.
Not yet, I am still waiting for my cam from Isky.  I have my 3,500 rpm stall converter ready to go in.  I had Midwest Converter build on for my E4OD.  Has a billet back with triple disc clutch.  I can lock up under power now with no damage to converter.  As soon as I get my cam I will be back on the project.  Our chassis dyno is on its way.  It is getting shipped from Australia.  We are hoping for february.  Absolutely cannot wait.  My pickup will problably be hooked to the dyno for about two weeks straight.  Very excited!!
Hey everyone just wanted to update you on my project.  Decided to redo my fuel system.  My injectors we don't believe will be sufficient for what we want.  Plus they are a big restriction in the throttle body.  I am going to get a 2 inch spacer plate and weld in four injector bosses.  Then get four 1600cc injectors.  That way we can run higher fuel pressure and cut out the middle of the thottle body.  We will use the Commander 950 to fire the injectors, we will just batch fire them and they will be underneath throttle plates now.  Will just have to manufacture the fuel rails.  That's what's new now.
Well my cam showed up today but we decided to wait because our dyno is sitting in customs in California.  Will be here at the end of the month.  We decided to dyno my engine with the current cam and fuel injection to see the results of the different cam and turbo upgrade.  Figured everyone would enjoy some dyno results.  I am also curious what that enine will do naturally aspirated too.  Right now I have an Isky cam #F300 with fuel injection and is now running on E85.  Don't worry everyone I will have some dyno results soon and the turbo results.  I have also updated my throttle body.  Now have on a FAST EFI 1000cfm throttle body.  It is equipped with LS7 injectors that are modified to 95 lb injectors.  We will not have a problem jacking up the fuel pressure now either.  It also opened up the top of the throttle body so there will be no restriction from the fuel injectors like the precious one.  Can't wait to get you all some results.
Dyno showed up late friday.  I couldn't take it I pulled my engine and installed the new cam.  I also installed my new high stall converter.  I got a chance to take a peak in my engine and was amazed at how clean E85 burns.  My valves are spotless and tops of my pistons are nice and clean.  I had to order some new titanium header wrap so that should be here tomorow.  I will take pics of the completed project and post them tomorow.  Chris will be up from Kentucky on friday and saturday to train us on the dyno.  By the end of the weekend I should have some dyno sheets on my turbocharged y-block.  Cannot wait. 
Hey everyone just giving an update on the truck.  We got trained in on the dyno last week but my truck wasn't running quite right so I didn't make any pulls.  I decided to completely redo my power and grounds.  I had a lot of interferance, mainly with my MSD 6AL box.  I ran my wires directly to the battery and my pickup has never ran this smooth.  I am really hoping to get it tuned friday and maybe make a few power pulls.  I learned alot about wheel horse power last week.  I think most people don't understand what it takes to get power to the ground.  (I know I didn't).  We did a lot of the training with my buddies 94 Viper and it put 240 wheel/hp, and 275 lb/ft of torque.  I am curious what my truck will do.  I am going to removed the waste gate spring when we tune it to get it tuned perfect without any boost and then put the spring back in.  We will do a few pulls with spring removed so I can get you some results finally.  Was just wondering I anyone is running boost what kind of timing you are using.  The guy that trained us has tuned alot of engines and he compared it to a 5.0l with a turbo and suggested nothing over 22 degrees advance and then take away one degree per pound of boost.  Any suggestions would be great.  To take a quick look at our Aussie toy go to robisrepair.com and click on the performance tab.
This engine was initially built naturally aspirated so my compression is roughly 10:1, and I am running E85 fuel (103-108 octane).  I have a steel balanced and stroked crank with probe domed pistons and h-beam rods.  I am hoping the lower end holds up.  I put the truck on the dyno tonight before I went home so I am hoping to get it tuned tomorow and have a few dyno pulls.  We will stay at 8 psi boost for now.  If the engine holds up I now that number will increase.  There is no such thing as Enough Power!!! 
By jrw429 - 10 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (11/1/2013)
plus the engine is bolted solid to the frame so I didn't have to worry about the hose flexing.

Hah! Until you start flexing the frame with that beast. Smile
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (8/8/2013)
You are right, the shield did not initially work. I have since covered it with heat tape from DEI and now it works just fine.

Did you use the gold or the silver DEI tape? Did you apply the tape to the modules or to the shield?

Thanks
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
Thanks.
By 5d6fairlane - 12 Years Ago
What's it going to cost to have the flanges made? Considering trying to build my own headers since I just ordered a new thermal arc.
By Twisted_Fate - 12 Years Ago
6.04 thats really impresive i have friends that have run that in the 1/8 and have gone on to the 1/4 to run 9.63!!!! thats one monster build you have!
By STX - 11 Years Ago
Very nice!
Why did you switch to 91 octane gas?

How do you keep track of detonations?

Was there any problem with the E85?
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
Great video Robi, 721 rwhp !!

(and great Aussie band theme music)
By ian57tbird - 11 Years Ago
Wow, that is different, a real twist on things. Down to 19lbs boost, now that's pretty serious! I like it.
You mentioned about problems with your module overheating. It looks like you have an aluminium heat shied between the electronics and the turbo. I think the aluminium will absorb the heat and radiate it onto module. It's great for transmitting heat like that. It might be worth trying something that will insulate it from the turbo. Just a thought.
I was wondering the same thing. Why did you switch to 91?
By jercaschef100 - 11 Years Ago
I saw your new truck at the Minot Magic. That is a pretty sweet setup.BigGrin I never thought that I would see a Y block in a modern truck. I may need to visit your shop sometime with my truck.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 11 Years Ago
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
Make sure that the oil return is above the oil level in the pan and has at least a slight slope downhill.
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
Isky will know a thing or two about cams and they will get you a cam that will work better, but the Fins do have a couple boosted, injected Ys under their belts. Have you tried their suggestions?
By charliemccraney - 12 Years Ago
Hollow Head (2/17/2012)
Nowadays 11.1 is more than normal with boost and especially with E85. Go on with your trial, but be sure if you hear any knocking, back up immideately.

This is true BUT this is also on modern engines which are completely computer controlled and typically have computers and software designed specifically for the type of boost. The computer can recognize problems and adjust for them quicker than you can react to a gauge and do the same. This can be the difference between blowing up the engine and keeping it unharmed and together to drive another day. His setup is more universal and lacks much of this. There may be other design elements that permit the higher static compression which are probably non existant in his engine. The E85 will help. Just watch it carefully.
Sweet! The gauges look great. I wish it was available when I was looking for mine. You should post this on slick 60s, too. www.slick60s.org.
It looks pretty good until 3900 then something goes wacky. Have you tuned it well without the boost yet?
Indeed! That looks like about a 60ftlb improvement at 5000rpm. That's a lot. Once you get it dialed in, it will be a monster.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (3/28/2013) I noticed that one of my axle seals was leaking so I removed the axle to find that those badass Moser 31 spline axles were twisted so I called Moser and they said yeah those probable aren't going to handle 1000 horsepower.

It makes me curious of the condition of everything else. If memory serves, nothing in your driveline was designed for 1000hp.
I like the fuel pump block off. Mine doubles as a fuel line bracket for connecting the flex line from the frame.
TWNDRYR
SLEEPY
A short article
http://bangshift.com/blog/video-watch-a-1962-ford-truck-with-a-twin-turbo-y-block-motor-make-606hp-at-the-tire-and-more-than-700-lbft-of-torque.html
You sure those 305s are going to work? On a 2 wheel drive, with the backspace perfect, you'd probably have about 1/4" clearance between the body and frame. It can't be much different on a 4wd. The steering will be much more difficult, too.
Oh, I didn't realize how high it would be after being lowered. Tire clearance issues are certainly minimized without having to worry about the fenders. Looks good!
wow.
Hutz 292 (3/2/2013)
We have some new video coming soon. We decided to stop cranking up the boost for now I am looking forward to a summer of driving this thing. I am waiting for my new carpet so I can intall my seats again.

Where's it at??
That sucks. But everyone is ok and the damage doesn't look bad.

You can tell everyone that the '99 is an early experimental ecoboost.
It probably is the most for a street vehicle. I think Randy Gummelt has the record with his dragster. It was far in excess of 700hp, I want to say 770 at the crank.
I think they do a burnout contest. You could do a 4wd burnout. That would get some attention for the Y-Block.
Sweet! Sounds like you might be needing more than ladder bars, though.
I was thinking reinforcing the chassis, but yeah, slicks eventually.
Lower it and leave it 4wd. That would be different.
Something you may want to do is to head over to slick60s.com and find out what those guys do to handle serious power. As this site is dedicated to Y-Blocks, that site is dedicated to 61-66 Ford trucks. Guys over there have done more ordinary big block swaps, but a few have done diesel swaps and someone there "who's done it" should know where and how to reinforce the frame for that particular truck
That is sweet! Makes me want to just throw a turbo on mine right now! Hmm... Tony has a rebuilt one gathering dust. I bet I could get him to help me install it and he wouldn't even notice that it's gone.

Does anyone know how E85 compares for octane? I expect it is better than premium.
Hutz 292 (7/27/2012)
(someone told me that engine won't handle 20psi but we will see what happens)

If an engine is built correctly for it and uses the right fuel, there's no reason it won't. The most significant problem problem with a Y is that it is a stock block and I'm sure the engineers did not plan for 6, 7, 800 ftlbs or whatever and the associated cylinder pressures you may reach. The Y has proven to be quite strong when compared to other oem engines of similar displacement but you may find the limit. I sincerely hope for the best but I advise you to expect and be prepared for the worst. If you're not, then don't do it.
Intake and exhaust?
I'm not knocking the potential of the WRX, I know they can be brutally fast, but unless it is seriously built, you probably have as much power without the turbo. While you probably weigh at least 500lbs more, the turbo should compensate for that just fine, as long as you have the traction.
It's not so much that you can't, as you have obviously found but going by a copy of a page out of the ARP catalog, a 220000psi 7/16stud with ARP Moly Lube should be torqued to 70ftlbs. You are nearly 2 to 2.5 times the recommendation depending on just which stud you have. Add in the additional pressure as a result of the turbo, and you have to be exceeding the design limits of the stud.
That's some pretty serious power right there.
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
yehaabill (8/31/2012)
Y-Guys......speaking of the WRX, Reed and I went to our local track 2 weeks ago to "tune" my junk

to get ready for Columbus(Can't go now...Issac got in the way). Reed had added a 2-step

to help with launches and pulled up to the line to try it out....Well, a New WRX pulled in the lane

next to him...Reed bogged a little(2500rpm launch)... the WRX beat us to the line...He went 8.64

my Junk went an 8.48 @ 87mph....A big improvement for us @ 10lbs boost.

Can't wait for the results from Columbus...hope "Issac" doesn't get 'em.

Bill

Bill.  You and Reed were missed at Columbus.  The races for Sunday were cancelled Saturday which was a good call.  All the Saturday races took place with some delays for sprinkles.  Most of the Y-Blockers ran both the Y class and also another class.  Many of the bracket classes were also represented by Y’s.  Greg Dietrich and Harry Hutton in the final for the Y-Block class with Greg taking a close win.  My altered is stuck in the 8.90's at 144mph but no breakage issues so all is well on that front.  I had a trailer hub go bad on the way home so I'm addressing that now so I can get back to the track with some suspension changes.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
pintoplumber (9/6/2012)
Ted, boy your son really must have had a lot of weight in the trailer.
Dennis.  It was loaded to the hilt.  He packed it from top to bottom and front to rear.  I’ll add that he went through all the trailer tires and one hub on a 400 mile trip.  The axles are rated at 3500 lbs. each and no telling what the gross weight really was.  I had already used the trailer since then for a race at Tulsa back in June and it was on the way back home from Columbus where I had the hub failure.  I’m still attributing that bearing failure it to the earlier overloading as there was plenty of grease present.
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Looks like a work of art.  Good job guys.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Hutz 292 (1/15/2013)
Blue felpro with 125 lb/ft of torque plus 90 degrees. ARP studs of course. Had about thousand mile on the other head gaskets with 15 lbs of boost and they looked perfect when I pulled the heads off. No signs of leakage anywhere. Someone told me i couldn't torque them that much but I haven't blown a head gasket yet.

½” head studs?

By Ted - 11 Years Ago

This is a switch. A late model vehicle with an older engine design instead of the other way around. Great job.