Profile Picture

Son's first car, bought with his money!!

Posted By texasmark1 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Well, my 16 year old has bought his first car.  Having helped me work on my 57 Fairlane since he was old enough to hold a wrench, he was bound to want an "old car" for his first.  Looked and looked, locally, ebay and CL.  Finally located a 63 Mercury Monterey in northern Tennessee and made the deal.  Drove 26 hrs straight up and back to get it.  Bit more of a "project" than we would have liked, but its here and its his, so the "project" is on.  Not a Y car but pretty close, so I am posting this initial story in "this and that" for those who might like to follow.  Also, I'd appreciate any input, suggestions, encouragement for my son from any of you who would be so kind as to encourage a youngster in the old car hobby.  A few pictures follow, and more as the work continues... ; his name is Daniel.  thanks, Mark

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX

Glen Henderson
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Good deal Mark! I love the 60's Fords and Mercs and I can promise you, he will be the only kid around with a breezeway! Just don't let him put 22's on it please.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

for sure! no worry about big wheels; it currently has what we think are 1980 Lincoln wheels on it; one of the first things he wants to change is the wheels... back to Ford steel wheels with some sort of correct hubcap!

by the way, does anyone know how to remove the wheel lock lug nuts that take a key to remove?  we don't have the key... looking for some way other than just driving a socket onto the lugnut and trying to break it free...!

thanks for your interest

Mark

Glen Henderson
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Search around in a salvage yard, you might find a socket in a glove box or check with the parts store, seems like I have seen them on the "Help" displays.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
glrbird
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Daniel and Mark

Post a picture of the lock, maybe someone on the site might have the answer.  Great to see the youth interested in something that does not burn rice.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

mctim64
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Cool first car!  You had me fooled with the date on the pix though. Tongue

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

The Master Cylinder
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Is it the kind that has a "key" cast into it with a matching socket to remove it? Each one is a little different so you can't use one design to take off another. I have had to take an air hammer with a chisel bit to get some of those off in the past when people lost the socket. Fortunately most aren't put on really tight due to the configuration.

Nice looking car your son has... plenty of room in that back seat. You should let the younger and "slimmer" of the two of you crawl under the dash tho. Laugh

Your wife must be quite a lady to let him work on the dining room table. w00tw00t

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

just called my local Discount Tire store and was told they will remove the locking lug nuts free of charge, so, given son's budget, that looks like the best way to go!

the story continues...!

thanks again for your interest and input.

Mark

texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

date on the pics is off of course... recently charged the battery in the camera and forgot to reset the date...

yep, I only thought I was done working under the dash board of a car when done with my Fairlane!  not so, as you can see...!

and yes, Mom is quite indulgent... within reason!

on the subject of rust, anyone have any experience with KBS Coatings and their rust products?  we will have to tackle our rust in stages... mitigation first to try to "contain" as much as possible then as the budget allows, replacement of the usual suspects... lower rockers, trunk floor, interior floorpans, etc...

again, thanks for your kind interest and input!

Mark

Missouri Mike
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Mark and Daniel

Congrats on snagging a black, two door hardtop Merc. Neat car, good choice.

I sub at the local high school once in a while and anyone with an old car or truck instead of a used jellybean car gets lots of interest and a big thumbs up from the boys...................... and the girls.

Good luck with your project, keep us updated.

Missouri Mike

I'd rather be lucky than good.................

but good ain't bad!!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter