Profile Picture

Son's first car, bought with his money!!

Posted By texasmark1 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
texasmark1 (9/6/2011)

on the subject of rust, anyone have any experience with KBS Coatings and their rust products? we will have to tackle our rust in stages... mitigation first to try to "contain" as much as possible then as the budget allows, replacement of the usual suspects... lower rockers, trunk floor, interior floorpans, etc...

again, thanks for your kind interest and input!

Mark

Mark, never used KBS Coatings but I have had good luck with Silver Bullet http://www.rustbullet.com/?source=adwords&gclid=CMnEj926i6sCFQVrgwodNlZEyw. I used a little over two qts. to cover the entire interior floor of my '55 Ranchwagon.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Y-Block Stan
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Very nice, my first was a 67 monteray and I miss her. Whats under the hood? 352, 390? I gots ta know! good luck with it and nice piece.
texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
390, 2 bbl...

given the price of gas and its 16 yr old driver, probably best that its "tame"... at least for now!

more of the story to follow as work continues; Daniel is a good student, plus he's in orchestra and choir, so his plate is pretty full, but he is one who is devoted to his passions, so, even if its just some minor detail work done in his room or on the kitchen table, this car is on his "front burner".

stay tuned...

Mark

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX

texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Update 9/9/11: on the prowl for patch panels; seems not many sources for Merc sheet metal out there, but I believe I have scored rocker panels from an online outfit called "Black Car LLC".  Anybody heard of them?  pretty good price; believe they are NOS, based on the description and a photo they sent me.

Anybody know how similar the Merc sheet metal may be to a similar year big Ford, probably Galaxie...?  May have to go with Ford sheet metal if its close enough. 

Had my wife's ladies Bunco group over last night, and they went nuts over Daniel's car!  Should of seen a proud 16 year old showing off his car with its huge trunk, real push button radio and roll-down-with-crank windows... then he started it up... made all those Toyota- and Nissan-driving soccer moms swoon!

As stated before, thanks for your interest and input on our project.

Mark and Daniel

Jimz Bird
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Ahhh, to be 16 and COOL.  What a great time!

I smile and have fond memories whenever I read your posts.

Great to see the two of you woking together on that project.

It will mean a lot to him as he gets older.

Jim
Norfolk, VA

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/9637da2e-2f28-4c4a-8dea-1636.jpg
"MABLE"
1956 Thunderbird Green / Brown Interior (ZE-XG)

"MEAN GREEN"
1956 Mainline (FG-BE)

Glen Henderson
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hey Marc, there is a guy over on the HAMB (don't remember his name) that is a Merc nut. Do a search or just brouse around and you should find him. He has restored several 60's Mercurys and knows where all the good stuff is. Alot of the ford sheet metal should work depending on what you need. Be careful of some on the ebay sheet metal, it's junk. I bought some for a 57 and it was not worth the shipping let along what I paid for it.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Glen, thanks for the tip; yep the HAMB is my next stop for info and suggestions.

texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

updated 09/12/11:

-gradually peeling back the layers of this onion... just ordered a sample kit from KBS Coatings to try out in an attempt to mitigate some of our rust problem; will share the results w/pics for those interested; should be later this week or weekend.

-we're first attacking the in-dash wiring in an attempt to remove all the "customizing" that was done and return to original specs... have pics, they're not pretty!

-given that this thing has been thru some attempts at "upgrading" in a past life, I'm thinking I need to confirm that it indeed has the engine indicated by the data plate... 390 ci... anyone know the location of a casting mark on the heads/block that would confirm this?  if so, I'd appreciate a hand, since my only experience with old engines so far has been my Y block.

pics to follow... thanks again for all the input, suggestions and favorable comments... they help keep Daniel motivated!

Mark

texasmark1
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

see... told ya it wasn't pretty.  not even going to post any of the "patina" till I can do some before/after shots using the KBS Coatings stuff...

Mark

Big6ft6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)Supercharged (272 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
PICS! PICS! PICS MORE PICS!

I'm so jealous...at 16 i would've died to have a car like that.

I have a large spot in my heart for mercs.  My first car was an 1984 Grand Marquis.  My initial impression was "grandma car" but it didn't take long for me and my 6'6" frame to fall in love with the smooth riding big cars, and soon I was defending my Grand "Merc" as I called it, against all my friends cooler two doors.

My love grew and soon I was reading books on Mercury History, when I was 18 I bought a 1969 Marquis Convertible with 429.  I drove it home on one brake (didn't know until later)  There was no top so I had to put a tarp over it, but the top frame still went up and down.  I eventually had to sell it to a towing company to pay for the towing fee after the city towed it away one winter while I was at college and had no money.

I'd give a lot to still have that car...the tail light went all the way across the back...so cool!  

My grandma had a 60's monterey with a breeze way and two 4bbls (so I'm told)!  

Nate - Madison, Wisconsin

56 Ford Customline Sedan

Reading This Topic

Site Meter