Son's first car, bought with his money!!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic63124.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Glen Henderson - 13 Years Ago
Good deal Mark! I love the 60's Fords and Mercs and I can promise you, he will be the only kid around with a breezeway! Just don't let him put 22's on it please.
Search around in a salvage yard, you might find a socket in a glove box or check with the parts store, seems like I have seen them on the "Help" displays.
Hey Marc, there is a guy over on the HAMB (don't remember his name) that is a Merc nut. Do a search or just brouse around and you should find him. He has restored several 60's Mercurys and knows where all the good stuff is. Alot of the ford sheet metal should work depending on what you need. Be careful of some on the ebay sheet metal, it's junk. I bought some for a 57 and it was not worth the shipping let along what I paid for it.
Mark, just sent you a PM.
Mark, I picked up a 4 dr breezeway yesterday that is going to be parted out, all I want is the drivetrain. Anything you want off it before it goes to pull-a-part?
Mark, your mailbox is full, but no hubcaps.
Mark call me after 18:00 @ 334-227-3004, I tried sending pics but kept locking up on me. I can tell you what is good alot easier than setting  here allday fooling with this computer.
By Glen Henderson - 12 Years Ago
Mark, I found a colume like I was looking for, if you still need the one from the old merc let me know. Sounds as if you have already fixed your problem though.
Mark, I still have the steel wheels from my old merc that was scraped. Keep an ear out for anyone from your area that might be traveling to AL that would haul them back for you.
Mark, I'll check with Greyhound, may take a few days.
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
Ya'll have come along way on the old girl, should be down hill from here.
By kevink1955 - 13 Years Ago
Both of you are going to have a great time on this project. Memorys of the good and bad (mostly good) will last a long time.

My son was 6 to 9 years old when "we" did my 56, to hear his storys he single handedly restored dads car. 7 years later at 16, he found a  mustang (67) that was in primer. Told me "dad-dad it's in primer just needs paint". We looked at it and it needed more than paint.

5 or 6 years later the car was done, we had a good time working on it together and spent way more than the car is worth.

2 best moments, looking in the rear view of my 56 and seeing his mustang following on the way to ford carslile. second was he and his wife to be insisting that they wanted to leave the church after their wedding in the mustang, I did not know he was going to do the burn out he did pulling away. Lots of shocked (non car people) old folks that day.

Enjoy the car and the time you guys spend working on it together 

By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Are you insisting on stock seats? You could probably do some measuring and findf some that will fit localy. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
The great thing about this build, besides the father son part, is that it is no easy fix. Your son, and you, are learning a lot about everthing from stuck and broken bolts to body work. I don't think he will be afraid to tackle other projects in the future. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 10 Years Ago
Y's are good about sticking valves when they sit a while. If you take off the valve covers you may see one that's not all the way up. You can also hit the tops of the rocker at the valve spring with a rubber hammer watching to see if the valve moves. Does it sill do it do it every time you start it? Chuck
I forgot the FE part. I've used the Lucas additive in the past with good results. Chuck
I forgot the FE part. I've used the Lucas additive in the past with good results. Chuck
I bet your son is getting exited. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
Very sad to hear. How is he taking it?
You've done your job of raising him now you have to trust that he will not stray far. Kids all have to do it "their way" until one day they realize they have become us. I couldn't be any prouder of my two but in there late and early 40's the still look home for some guidence occasionally. 
I'm not sure how the sale option is going on Daniel's car but I wish you both the best of luck with it. After following the rebuild here I've come to realize that no matter what happens a lot of valuable lessons have been learned along with the father son bonding time. One of the things that I think plagues many of us, especially when younger, is our attachment to the cars we own and build. I've had many cars come and go and still wish I had been able to keep most of them. That's the problem, we can't keep them all! I've also known a number of car guys that are every bit as passionate about their cars but don't have the tendency to hang on to them too long. Re-building and flipping is a good way to broaden your experience. The people that can do that seem to be ahead. That doesn't take away my admiration for the ones that still have their first or their High School car. But, looking back, I realize I kept several of them way past their due date. Partially due to my career in the military and not having a fixed location for storage I just could not keep them once age started showing its affects. So I usually ended up buying at market and selling as a "quick sale". Always a losing proposition. Maybe he'll gain some insight and passion for the rebuild/own/sell part of our hobby. Chuck
I bet your son is getting exited. Chuck
Fantastic job you guys have done. He'll be the envy of his class! Chuck
DId you have the heads off? Sometimes they need to be resurfaced for flatness. Blocks can be some warped too. Chuck
A "hot" re-torque might help. Chuck
I just noticed the update. Hard to believe this has been going on for over 4 years. Wow! Chuck
Actually with the on and off of a father son rebuild with the son in school I think its gone quite well. And the car looks great! He's learned a wealth of information about doing it yourself and tackling seemingly insurmountable repairs. I envy you that, my son and daughter were never interested enough to spend time with the old man in the garage. My son would hang around and hand me wrenches while I repaired his cars but that was it. Congratulations to both of you.
By glrbird - 13 Years Ago
Daniel and Mark

Post a picture of the lock, maybe someone on the site might have the answer.  Great to see the youth interested in something that does not burn rice.

By glrbird - 13 Years Ago
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html?SRCCODE=1EM0840&em=r57@satx.rr.com&utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eastwood.com%2Finternal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html%3FSRCCODE%3D1EM0840%26em%3D%25%25email%25%25&utm_content=SEMA+2011+was+awesome%21+Check+out+our+post-show+video%21%21%21&utm_campaign=1EM0840+11%2F9%2F2011+SEMA2011+%2B+6+products 

Saw this and thought of you and you son.

By glrbird - 12 Years Ago
It is things like that you remember growing up. Your a good Dad!
By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
John F is right about the dryer, and something else to know, the condinser for a 12 is different than a 134a. You can buy new underdash kits made for the use of 134a and it comes with all the hoses and fittings. I would go new if I had a choice. the under dash unit is the evaporator unit.
By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
Once the car is back from paint, you and your Son will be rejuvenated. He will live and breath that car until he run's out of parts or money. You will have fun watching him have fun. Do you have all the parts for the AC? Once you have it all on the car, make sure to evacuate the system for a couple of hour's to get all the moisture out before charging the system. If you can find a 134a condenser to fit the car it will exchange heat better that the R12 version. Keep the faith!
By glrbird - 10 Years Ago
This is a very exciting time, I remember my first full paint job on my 57 ford pick-up when I was in highschool 1967, chestnut, (in between red and maroon) with dark tinted windows, Back then it was put on in liquid form. Man I'm getting old!
By glrbird - 9 Years Ago

I have chained the frame to the floor jack base and raised the lower control arm up with the spring in place. sort-of a poor mans press.

Looks great, glad to see it didn't get stuck in bodyshop jail.
texasmark1 (3/20/2014)
It sure felt like jail to my son! He only got to drive it to school one time during his senior year of high school. Now he's in his first year of college and still no car to drive. He's learning patience, that's for sure.

Ah, patience. That is something not wasted on youth. He will be able to see how it pays of in the project.
Are you sure his name isn't "Jerry Lee". Will be watching for updates this summer.
Wow, that's pretty loud!  That is a hard metallic sound. are you sure something outside the engine is not hitting, like flywheel, harmonic balancer? And it stops when it warms up?
Mark
Glad it seems to have cured itself, the camera made it sound more metalic.  Are the plans to get the car finished up so he can take it back to school?  Post more pictures as it gets futher along.
Good luck

Mark
Did you do a compression check, maybe to much crankcase preasure from worn or stuck rings blowing out the oil? Car does look great.

By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
Mark: to get better coverage, you should also post it in our Classifieds.. Good luck.
By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
texasmark1 (1/3/2012)
the latest... replaced part of the linkage to the tranny; that tightened up the sloppy shifting. Both of us got good and dirty before that was completed!

Built a new wiring section from the alternator to the regulator.

Around mid month, we should be sending the car to the body shop for repair to the trunk and rear body mount area.  Hopefully we'll have some tasty "before" and "after" pics soon!

Mark

You are both an inspiration to even us old guys, kinda brings back memories, keep up the good work, you,ve got a good boy there!Smile

By Frankenstein57 - 13 Years Ago
Mark and Daniel, good looking project. My dad had a 63 merc, 390, that car would lay a burner till you let off the gas. I have used alot of KBS products and have endorsed them here and on the 57 fords forever site. I have used the gas tank sealer, rust seal, heat paint, I've used the 3-step, and right over rust with good bond on everything. Street rodder did a piece on spraying the stuff on a chassis recently. I buy it in quarts, purchase an empty can and pour 1/2 of it in for later. Good luck,
By John F - 11 Years Ago
Use a new filter dryer, it's cheap insurance. Also if you are going to use a old compressor make sure you change the oil with oil that is compatible with 134A.
By texasmark1 - 13 Years Ago
Well, my 16 year old has bought his first car.  Having helped me work on my 57 Fairlane since he was old enough to hold a wrench, he was bound to want an "old car" for his first.  Looked and looked, locally, ebay and CL.  Finally located a 63 Mercury Monterey in northern Tennessee and made the deal.  Drove 26 hrs straight up and back to get it.  Bit more of a "project" than we would have liked, but its here and its his, so the "project" is on.  Not a Y car but pretty close, so I am posting this initial story in "this and that" for those who might like to follow.  Also, I'd appreciate any input, suggestions, encouragement for my son from any of you who would be so kind as to encourage a youngster in the old car hobby.  A few pictures follow, and more as the work continues... ; his name is Daniel.  thanks, Mark

for sure! no worry about big wheels; it currently has what we think are 1980 Lincoln wheels on it; one of the first things he wants to change is the wheels... back to Ford steel wheels with some sort of correct hubcap!

by the way, does anyone know how to remove the wheel lock lug nuts that take a key to remove?  we don't have the key... looking for some way other than just driving a socket onto the lugnut and trying to break it free...!

thanks for your interest

Mark

just called my local Discount Tire store and was told they will remove the locking lug nuts free of charge, so, given son's budget, that looks like the best way to go!

the story continues...!

thanks again for your interest and input.

Mark

date on the pics is off of course... recently charged the battery in the camera and forgot to reset the date...

yep, I only thought I was done working under the dash board of a car when done with my Fairlane!  not so, as you can see...!

and yes, Mom is quite indulgent... within reason!

on the subject of rust, anyone have any experience with KBS Coatings and their rust products?  we will have to tackle our rust in stages... mitigation first to try to "contain" as much as possible then as the budget allows, replacement of the usual suspects... lower rockers, trunk floor, interior floorpans, etc...

again, thanks for your kind interest and input!

Mark

390, 2 bbl...

given the price of gas and its 16 yr old driver, probably best that its "tame"... at least for now!

more of the story to follow as work continues; Daniel is a good student, plus he's in orchestra and choir, so his plate is pretty full, but he is one who is devoted to his passions, so, even if its just some minor detail work done in his room or on the kitchen table, this car is on his "front burner".

stay tuned...

Mark

Update 9/9/11: on the prowl for patch panels; seems not many sources for Merc sheet metal out there, but I believe I have scored rocker panels from an online outfit called "Black Car LLC".  Anybody heard of them?  pretty good price; believe they are NOS, based on the description and a photo they sent me.

Anybody know how similar the Merc sheet metal may be to a similar year big Ford, probably Galaxie...?  May have to go with Ford sheet metal if its close enough. 

Had my wife's ladies Bunco group over last night, and they went nuts over Daniel's car!  Should of seen a proud 16 year old showing off his car with its huge trunk, real push button radio and roll-down-with-crank windows... then he started it up... made all those Toyota- and Nissan-driving soccer moms swoon!

As stated before, thanks for your interest and input on our project.

Mark and Daniel

By texasmark1 - 9 Years Ago
thanks for the kind words!
Daniel's growing up... and there's nothing I can do to stop it!
Mark
Update on Daniel's Mercury: its still for sale. had it on CG and ebay for a week (free listing!)... no bites. Now I have it parked at a local "park and sell" lot in town.  Drove it tonight for about 25 miles and noticed falling oil pressure.  It has a working gauge ("Low to High")' starts pit when cold at about half way between the ends of the scale and gradually falls to near the "low" end.  No real quantity of smoke out the back while driving, only a spit or two when first started up.
Any suggestions on possible causes for the low pressure?
that should be "...starts out when cold at about half way..."
Ted, as always, great advice! Thanks!
mileage is 170K+ on Daniel's 390. Presently has 10-30 oil in it. We have changed the oil several times since he got the car. There is a leak at the back of the passenger side head-block area... at least that's where it seem to be coming from.
as I'm trying to still sell it, the cheapest fix is my preference, so I'll check out the gauge accuracy first.
it's a love-hate matter at the moment... Daniel and I still love the car and hate the thought of having to sell it, but the reliability issue is still the big problem.  He goes to school in Abilene this fall or perhaps to Searcy, AR, so reliability is a must.  I'd love to have a "famous" engine builder handle a rebuild on the engine, but that's a distant dream at the moment.
Thanks again for your interest and advice!
Mark
Update: Daniel's car is being sold via CL to a German couple who just happened to be visiting friends in the Houston area, looked at CL, called me and came over and decided they liked the car!  Selling for less than I wanted (naturally) but the sale will fund a newer vehicle for Daniel to use during his college years.  Delivery is scheduled for the next couple of weeks. The buyer has a friend in Houston who buys, sells, restores, etc cars...plus he imports/exports as well so he'll make the arrangements for overseas transportation.
I just need to put the front end back together after installing new ball joints, control arm bushings, shocks and springs.  Speaking of the springs, I'm having a hard time compressing the new ones enough to get them installed.  Rented a compressor tool from Advance Auto but it's hard to manhandle the springs down short enough to get them in place.  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on getting this done SAFELY??
Again, thanks to all who have kindly responded with ideas, suggestions and encouragement during this journey!
Mark
front end rebuild complete! borrowed a real spring compressor from a local alignment shop and got the final spring done this a.m.  all that's left before its off to Germany is bleeding the brakes and packing a few extra parts in the trunk for the new owner.

thanks again to all who have enjoyed the last 3 or so years with us as Daniel and I have made many memories and to those whose helpful advice and donated parts confirmed that there good people who love old cars!
now maybe I can get my Fairlane finished!
Mark
By texasmark1 - 10 Years Ago
timing gear set and chain replacement are on the horizon for Daniel. He took the set back to school last weekend and hopefully will get them installed soon.  He's on his own for this job. Dad is 300 miles away from Abilene.  At least he has a college roommate who digs cars and has family in town where Daniel can keep the car while down and work on it too.

more to come...
Mark
timing set installed; car presently at mechanic in Abilene for some more tuning, starts but stumbles upon revving...
Daniel's Christmas present this year... new speaker for the dash.
he's home now on break and relaxing after his fall semester.
he's go back in mid-January, hopefully to a running car.
Merry Christmas to all who have viewed his project and offered kind suggestions!
Mark
Daniel is thinking about upgrading his front brakes to discs...
anybody have any idea which Ford product would be good for a swap?  He's located a fairly large salvage yard in Abilene with plenty of good picking...

thanks, Mark
yep... he's trying to beat my record of restoring an old car for 20 years!
Looking to do some upgrading this summer on Daniel's Merc and seeking suggestions:
-want to replace the alternator with a unit with built in voltage regulator...I installed one on my 57 Fairlane but can't remember what kind....
-replace or rebuild starter perhaps one with internal solenoid...

any ideas??
thanks, Mark
Sad news... having to put Daniel's Mercury up for sale.  Thanks to all who have viewed our project! 
This is the first posting I'm doing in attempts to find a good home.
Full details available upon request.

Mark
we actually had the wrong dizzy, so a return and correct one ordered...

hopefully will have it in tomorrow, retimed and see what happens

took the hood off this afternoon to clean up the hinges, install the fender aerial and front fender stainless trim.

thanks for the suggestions.
Daniel's Merc is finally rounding third on the way to home plate! Minor carb adjustments to be done Monday.  We plan to complete installing the final stainless trim tomorrow.  Interior is all done.

the beast looks pretty fine. He's finally decided on a name for the car... "Donna".  He has in the past been accused of favoring Eric Forman on "That 70's Show"... whose girlfriend was named "Donna"... so... 

Daniel will put up some video hopefully Sunday of his car in action.  When he does, I will post the link to youtube where he has previously posted a couple of short videos.  this one will be longer.  I hope to capture his pride and joy, along with him, for your viewing pleasure and to say a big "Thanks" to al who have given us encouragement on the forum.  And to a few who have generously donated parts for him.

Mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdnnqGooScQ

closer than he's been before today!

is it finished? mostly

is it perfect? come on, its 51 years old

is Daniel proud as punch? you bet.

the link takes you to a short vid shot earlier today.

enjoy, Mark

Well, we made it from Houston to Abilene (approx. a 6 hr trip up beautiful Texas Hwy 36)!

checked the oil level at the first fuel stop... still at the full mark, temp ok and oil pressure ok.

then about 30 minutes from Abilene, Daniel called me ( I followed him up just in case) saying that he just noticed the oil pressure had dropped to zero, but no temp rise, no funny noises, not smoke, no nothing...

so, we gingerly proceeded the rest of the way.  Upon arrival at his dorm, we checked the dip stick and it was showing no signs of oil!
removed the drain plug and got approx. 2/3 of a quart out of the pan.

proceeded to crawl under and sighted some wet spots in the area of the torque converter housing at the back of the block.  While following Daniel, I noticed a few signs of minor smoke from the tail pipes... not black or blue, just looked like steam.

proceeded to refill the oil up to full level (about 3 quarts), started it up and it ran just fine.

Went over the next day to my brother's shop, jacked it up, crawled under again and found, I believe, where the oil is coming out.  appears to be blowing out at the back corner of the p side head.  perhaps a faulty head gasket...??

anyway, we changed the oil and filter, started right up, no visible oil leak... it must leak at speed on the road.  He drove back to his dorm and parked for the day.

Daniel called me today saying he had a chance to try the strength of the rear bumper... a rear time came undone from the wheel... no blow out... just seemed to come loose from the rim.

So, he's continuing to learn the joys of operating an old car!  But he's a trooper... hasn't dampened his spirits.

His soph year is under way as of today.

will update as interesting things happen.

again, thank you to all who have offered suggestions, comments, words of encouragement, etc!

Mark
no "serious" work done on the engine yet... just the usual tune up stuff plus a new carb...

I fear that serious stuff lies ahead!

Mark
thanks!

will look into both suggestions.

Mark
followed pic insert instructions just now and got error msg: "could not find editor" or something close to that..

any ideas??

Mark
thanks Ted; will try this or just stand by until fix is in place.

Mark
Thanks for the tip!
Running with new carb...

problem with trash getting into the needle probably from some hose fragments in the fuel line; learned how to check and clean out from our new carb shop, S and S in NW Houston- Allen is the best!

Daniel drove it home from S and S; approx. 40 miles across the big middle of Houston with no problems...

except we've learned the dizzy needs replacing! Daniel got a good lesson in setting timing and dwell from Allen also, along with some carb advise.

seat belts finally in; Mom likes that!

insulation beginning to go in the floorboard; most of the chrome/stainless trim on the outside in place (those clips are driving me nuts!)

approx. two weeks till he leaves for soph year at college, so its down to the wire time.

will try to get some recent pics up if Daniel can help me with that... the boy is golden... he hasn't met a problem he can't figure out; even taken up working on AC stuff!

yep... I'm still a proud dad!

Mark
replaced dizzy tonight! Set the points. Even got the thing to start afterwards...

must have the timing just right as when you hit the gas pedal, it bogs down...

does this symptom stir up any memories or fixes?

Mark
I meant to say the we apparently do not have the timing quite dialed in as it bogs when revved...
Daniel's home from college now and we spent most of today working on his Merc. Finishing up some underneath repairs/touch up/fiberglassing. We got the rear seat installation started but will have to do some fiddling cause its from a Galaxie.  He's home till the end of May then off to work at a summer camp, so its crunch time.

Pictures soon now that my computer wiz is home!

Mark
Click the link and you will see Daniel's Mercury from this afternoon.  He's making progress: putting the interior back in, getting the wiring sorted, cleaning up the engine bay and rebuilding the power steering control valve.  When you listen to the most recent video, you will hear a distinct clicking noise; it comes on after a few minutes of running, then after several minutes, it gets quieter.  What can this be? Sticky push rod?  It must be something that once full oiled, quiets down...  Suggestions appreciated!

The shot down the carb was an attempt to capture something that started happening today, but only once in a while... the area just below the butterflies starts to fill up with gas after the engine is shut off.  Any ideas about that?  Its a newly rebuilt carb done by a carb shop in Houston.

thanks, Mark
thanks for the suggestions!

To remind, his 63 Mercury has a 390 w/two bbl carb.

The build story is filed under "this and that" as it was not Y block specific, but I wanted to share his experience with my Y friends.

To further elaborate on the clicking noise, when the engine is cold, there's no clicking; the clicking does not start up until the engine has been on a few minutes and beginning to warm up.  Once warmed up, the noise seems to decrease.  Additionally, we have not put many miles on the car since he bought it 2 years ago.  So we are hoping that once its to the point where it can be legally driven, that after a few miles of operation, it will sort itself out.  Also, we have changed the oil a couple of times with hardly any miles on each change, so the oil is clean, and comes out clean when changed.

Any thoughts on pouring in some kind of treatment along with an oil change?  There seems to be a slew of products to use as additives to an oil change... oil for high mileage engines... etc.  Any of these recommended?  How about a can of Seafoam?
He's getting it close to roadworthy... we put on the headlights and front grille this afternoon.  Then (gasp!) it started raining!

Daniel goes off to work at summer camp in AR at the end of the week, so we're pressing for as much putting back together before he leaves.  Then for the next 2 months, it will be up to me to get it out of the garage and put some miles on it.  I know, its a tough job, but a dad's gotta do what a dad's gotta do!

Thanks for the assistance!  Mark
Lucas and Seaform on deck...

thanks guys!
clicking stopped with a few miles put on the car.

thrashing on heater rebuild, new firewall pad, seats install, etc, etc

thanks again for the continued interest!

Mark
yep, that's been the plan all along, but it has just taken longer than we expected. Rust everywhere, too long at the body shop, you know, the usual..."takes twice as long and costs twice as much as you planned"! Daniel has really learned a lesson in patience.  He only got to drive it once to school when he was a high school senior, then not at all his first year at college.  But, if things go as planned, he should have it ready to go back to college this fall (Houston to Abilene, approx. 350 miles).
Yep; 200 + hours according to the body shop owner...

he probably did not appreciate the volume of fabrication that was going to be needed...

sills, rocker panels, trunk floor, interior floor, work on the front fenders and the leading edges of the roof on both sides...

I believe we got more than we paid for!
Glen, thanks for the encouragement... Daniel is back at college but his heart is in my garage!

more to come!

Mark
It sure felt like jail to my son! He only got to drive it to school one time during his senior year of high school. Now he's in his first year of college and still no car to drive. He's learning patience, that's for sure.

no really cool pictures at the moment cause I've been under Daniel's car trying to finish the bottom off now that  its come back from the paint shop...

however, if anyone would like to see "before" and "somewhat after" vids, you can enter "Daniel Smith Mercury" on youtube. you'll find a couple of videos of his car plus some of his piano work. enjoy!

He's home from his first year at college in a couple of weeks so the finish line is in sight on his restoration.

Mark
make that youtube locator: "Daniel Wade Smith Mercury"
I could go on and on about Daniel's talents...!

but I'd just be like any other proud dad...

BUT he is an awesome young man!!

Mark
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/146563b3-6136-4b48-90cf-9a29.JPG
OK, I'll try to put text and a picture together in the same post...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/cd31d6a5-0547-405f-9a34-7f79.JPG
the body work is astounding! so many long, straight sections and they look pretty smooth and even to me!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/9c90997c-2751-40fb-b0fe-d5d2.JPG
more...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ca335b2b-87e7-4552-bab3-dc64.JPG
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b1151d3c-bf28-49f8-a0ee-dba9.JPG
the above is taken during the trip across Houston (downtown in the scene) back to our house (finally!) east of town.
Finally saw part of the car painted!!

Daniel and I went to the body shop on Friday; the underside of the hood and trunk lid had received their first coat of Ocean Turquoise... and looked great!

Our forecast for this week calls for some fairly good weather days so I'm hoping that the paint will finally get going in a few days!

Pictures tomorrow...

Mark
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/492666b4-a793-4a27-8cf4-2598.JPGhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d5055087-47b7-4599-b965-c5e7.JPG
Finally....!

some paint!!

Can you tell that Daniel is happy to see color besides rust and primer??

Mark
FINALLY HOME!

we're busy this weekend thrashing on Daniel's Merc! will post some pics hopefully this weekend. Working on everything at once... installing all the trim, windows, bumpers, etc, etc...

oh yeah, and trying to get it running again! Fired right up last night but had a carb leak right away, so its off with the carb and spacer under it and new gaskets and then further tuning.

His plans were to drive it back to college tomorrow, but it just will not be quite ready. Too bad..., now Dad will have some fun wrenching on it while son is hitting the books after Spring Break. What a pleasure to share the same passion/hobby with my son!

and thanks to all who have shared this journey with us and offered kind words of support!

Mark
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4597052d-a08e-461b-b23c-e543.JPG
OK, some pictures to follow...
By texasmark1 - 11 Years Ago
finally approaching the finish line as far as the body repair is concerned! just a couple of details left to nail down then off to final paint. Car will hopefully be done while Daniel is off to church summer camp so I'll have it home when he returns mid-July...

Don't pray for patience... cause you will be rewarded with the opportunity to practice it!
Well, Daniel is off to college on the 16th of this month... probably driving our 05 Suburban, at least initially. His car is now due out of the body shop in approx. 2 weeks. Probably not in time to get it back together, tested and safe enough for a trip from Houston to Abilene though. Oh well, at the price for all the rust repair needed and then finally painting, we are just having to be patient! He bought a carb kit to rebuild his 2 bbl Holley 2300, but he's a bit skittish as we have not done a complete kit before. Found one step-by-step on the www but its not for a 2300, but probably close enough to help us get it done. Also located a reasonable priced sandblast and primer vendor for his stock 14 inch wheels. Also a rebuild of the power steering control valve is on the schedule when the car first comes home.

Man, I'm getting tired of promising pictures! When its finally home from the body shop, look out!

Mark
Merry Christmas to all!

Daniel's getting his front and back seats rebuilt and reupholstered for Christmas; hope to pick them up this week.

the body work has taken sooo long... partly because so many panels had to be hand-fabricated. But, last we checked, it was one fender away from skim coat with filler and smooth out, then primer and final paint!

Daniel is home from college on Christmas break and he'll check on the body work on Saturday. Hope its good news. He has been so patient with this project, but he is dying to drive it back to school.

So, hopefully pictures in color soon!

Mark
Brought the re-done seats home this afternoon... Daniel loves them!

soon as I figure out how to post, will do.

Mark
thanks for the kind words!
Well, the car has been primed and now its just a matter of getting a couple of days of warm weather so it can be painted!

We're in Houston so "warm" weather means something different to us than many of you guys on this forum!

Rainy, north wind, and temps in the high 40's sends us after our long johns!

Daniel is in college in Abilene, TX where he is getting his first taste of real winter... several days already of snow and low teens temps!

What did I say about "light at the end of the tunnel..." a few months ago!?

Oh well, it should be worth it; thanks again for all the kinds words of encouragement along the way!

Pics of the car hopefully soon...

Mark
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4ca2619a-f610-4118-a6af-c7b9.JPG
trying to add a few pics from today's visit, but the process is different now since the latest update to the site... not sure how to put text in with a pic; the above is the new floor in Daniel's car.
ok, will try putting in text then the image...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ac4d6dea-2a9e-46f9-b6c4-968c.JPG
there we go...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/7dcdb47d-c649-4c3f-a8f6-c071.JPG
New door gaskets, window rubber, assorted weatherstripping parts received over the weekend...

yes, this has taken over a year... not long for us old-timers, but you can just imagine how its seemed to have drug on and on to a now 18 year old young man!

he's off to colledge in mid August, so I sure hope this thing is back together, and the bugs rung out by then!

Encourging words appreciated from those who have held on the bitter end and seen the results...!

thanks,Mark
thanks Gary!

still looking for a compressor; the plan is to go with R134a when we get all the parts.

yep, I remember when I finally got my 57 Fairlane painted red and white... it was great without all the trim even!

Daniel's color, Ocean Turquoise, should be just as dramatic.
another trip to the body shop scheduled for this Saturday; hopefully will have some new pics to post...

I believe the end is in sight!

Mark
wheels...!

A couple of our friends at church have pitched in and offered to buy Daniel some correct 14 inch Ford wheels as a graduation present, so today I picked them up from our local wrecking yard. He's pretty much obtained correct parts to return his Merc to stock condition... hopefully our body shop will be done with their repair and painting in the next 30 days or so then its back together time!
Daniel has bid (ebay, free shipping, $100 right now) on a used under-dash A/C unit this week...

anybody have any input on whether or not this is a good idea?

seller says all moving parts operate but operation of the unit is unknown.

Daniel has a used drier and evaporator already, so he's trying to put together a faily "period-correct" A/C unit... despite my suggestions about installing a whole new outfit... such as Vintage Air.

thoughts??

thanks,Mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VqUlDKzPQ0

a short vid of Daniel's car before going to the body shop...

Mark
A/C on the way; Daniel won tonight on ebay...

accepting all suggestions on resurrection of old under-dash A/C units!

Mark
Underdash unit arrived ok and seems to work ok; Daniel disassembled and cleaned it up, tested the 3 spd motor and it works on all three. He then proceeded to visit our fav junk yard (again!) and secured a correct windshield washer motor (cleaned up and working) and an inside door handle mechanism. He was generously given $$ for graduation gifts recently and so we ordered some weatherstripping items for the doors, roof, glass, etc. We go over to the body shop tomorrow a.m. to check on the progress. will post some pics.

Mark
By texasmark1 - 12 Years Ago
Unexpected Christmas windfall! Taking pics of Daniel's car on Tuesday at the body shop and giving them the go-ahead to complete all the needed body work and rust removal/panel replacement inside the interior!

Package from "Santa" arrived yesterday, and once its wrapped, it's going under the tree; all Daniel wants for Christmas this year are car parts for his Merc, so some new valve cover decals and such are going under the tree!

Stay tuned for some new pictures (finally) after Tuesday...

Mark

Not pretty yet, but soon!

Dr side rocker in place...

Pass side rocker and wheel opening under way...

Pass side rocker in place, with the WRONG floor panels shown above it! Turns out a 63 Galaxie does NOT share the same floor design with our Mercury... oh well, our body shop will fab flooring instead of using patch panels. Hopefully just as good if not better!

Missing now are the holes in each front fender. Work on the fender lip above the headlights also underway.

Daniel doesn't know it yet, but Santa may spring for the final paint as well! Ocean Turquoise, a mid-60's Fomoco color,

You know your kid's a car nut when one box containing the following is his best Christmas present ever:  locking gas cap, valve cover and air cleaner decals, fan shroud decal, front turn signal lenses, a set of ignition wrenches, a heater gasket and a washer fluid bag... oh yeah, and the coupe de grass... bumper bolts (not sure if they are "hi-speed" ones or not... will report and a test drive).

Daniel is just about a pro at driving the Fairlane... 3 on the tree... no problem for this advanced 17 year old!

Only one "cool" guy in the picture... Daniel.  I'm sure not, as the shades are clip-ons and the sock hat is there to keep my hair-intolerant head warm in our winter temps in Houston (60 degrees!).

yep, that's the body shop floor as seen thru the "floor" of the Merc!  All new steel and cross pieces to be installed...

take that, you rusted out quarter panel!!

Repairs and into primer expected in a couple of weeks... then its on to the final color, Ocean Turquoise.  Finally had to tell Daniel that his mom and I were springing for the final color instead of leaving it in primer until he could afford to pay for it himself... of course, he's going to repay us as soon as he can find another part time job.  Speaking of funds, Daniel has received some scholarship funds for college this fall and just had an interview for the Presidential scholarship at my old alma mater, Abilene Christian University in Abilene, TX.  Our plans are to have his Merc ready to go off to school this fall for the start of college.

Some real pretty pictures coming soon!

Mark

Most of the body work completed and painted in primer this week.  Daniel and I are going to the body shop tomorrow to disassemble the dash for upcoming painting.

should have some more pics by the end of the day tomorrow...

Mark

yeah baby!... pretty in gray primer!

yes, Virginia, this car IS a mile long...!

its SO easy to work on the dash now... with the floor missing!!

Daniel reaches for yet another wasp nest...; no wait, that's a wire bundle under the dash.

yep... that's Daniel's final color choice... Ocean Turquoise...

Hopefully on the car by the end of Feb if not sooner!

Daniel's removing all the trim in preparation for the trip to the body shop for all rust repair and getting the body into primer. Scheduled to drop off next Saturday.  Now we just have to figure out where to put all the removed parts in an already-full garage!

Dad tries his hand at "body work", in this case, the rusted out front valance panel that goes behind the bumper.  Holes filled with a foil roasting pan lid, cut to shape, then glued in place with JB Weld, then...

flip the piece over and proceed to...

fill with bondo and sand to shape.

the other side... still to be done.

Merc's at the body shop getting the body work done...

... not enough in Daniel's budget to get the floors done yet, however.

Been spending time cleaning up and repairing the window regulators and other stuff removed before it went for bodywork.

Also just did some repair work to the carb on my Fairlane, so when the Merc comes back, that will be the next thing to do.

a few more pics taken before the Merc went to the body shop...

yep... that's the frame and the driveway showing thru the floor!

here's my favorite "before" picture!  Can you tell how it was taken??

... and, one cheesecake picture of the Fairlane sporting its latest "upgrade"... Mexican blanket and tiny sombrero!

Daniel's Merc is still at the body shop getting rid of rust; hope to get it back soon in primer...

Big news is that he got a part time job at our local J C Penney for the upcoming holiday season, so guess where his paychecks will be going??

hope to post some new pics soon.

Daniel's latest ebay score... 4 nice OE 14 inch hubcaps for his Merc... and

from our favorite wrecking yard, a correct fender mounted, remote cable controlled mirror.

Body work almost done; hopefully before Christmas he'll have it in primer and driveable again.

Mark

Christmas comes big time for Daniel... I ordered front and rear floor pans for his Mercury. They should be drop shipped to our body shop next week. If all goes well,, he should get his car repaired and into primer by the end of the year.  He's got a part time job and saving for the final paint work... wants it in Ocean Turquoise... pretty Ford color from the 60's and original to this model... just not original for his car.

Hopefully will have some pics to show sooner rather than later.

Merry Christmas to all who swerve by our story!

Mark

best laid plans... ha!

found a tranny mount that had the e-brake bracket intact by reaching out to the full size Galaxie forum guys (thanks, "DAZE"). Had the bracket cut off and then welded onto our frame piece, reinstalled it on the car, hooked up the ebrake cables. drained the auto tranny and cleaned the filter at the same time.  now have it all buttoned up and ready to fill with ATF and adjust the ebrake and then off to get it inspected, then hopefully registered with the year-of-manufacture license plates.  Seats hopefully found locally at a salvage yard, if they will deal with Daniel on the price.

hopefully, the next pic or two we'll post will be of Daniel behind the wheel on the road in his insured, titled, registered first car!

thanks for your continued interest and good will!

Mark

Registered in Texas!

plan to park it in Daniel's spot on his high school lot at lunch so he can do some braggin' before driving it home after school for the first time.

Mark

Hot afternoons are here in SE Texas, so I'll post some latest pics of our progress, then maybe get out after 5 and do some more work. 

Nothing too glamorous to update, just some seat work and installing a 2 speed wiper motor (which are apparently scarce as hen's teeth and twice as pricey... we got lucky and picked up one along with the wiring harness at our local salvage yard).

Pretty, huh? Knocked the rust back and then applied some Eastwood rust treatment product. The backs are pretty shot, but hopefully our little trimmer in the next town over can work with them and rebuild...

Yuck!

Here's what the inside of your classic early 60's FOMOCO 2 sp wiper unit looks like...

Cleaned up, painted and ready for reassembly.

Daniel illustrates the diff between 1- and 2-speed wiper units.

Next up, chasing down some electrical/wiring gremlins...

Enjoy!

Mark

can you tell its 100+ degrees this afternoon in Houston from this picture?  Daniel removing the front bumper in preparation for removing the old radiator support and installing a better one recently purchased of epay...

patching up the front turn signal housings...

bit by bit... turn signal housings from the front bumper, on the way to being restored.

Daniel's off to two weeks of summer camp in a couple of days, so dad will get the fun of removing frozen bumper bolts and the old rusted radiator support.  We found a better one, so off comes the old one and in goes the newer one!  We also have (hopefully) a correct rear seat on the way from up north in Gatesville, TX.

... and on it goes...!

Daniel's off at church camp, so dad is getting some "grunt" work done... oh well, isn't our title "... now Dad's the helper"?

Enjoy, but don't stare at some of them too long... you might get grease under your fingernails!

off comes the radiator support... rust never sleeps!

Dang! real bumpers are heavy... remember those days?

yeah... that cardboard and drain pan will do a lot of good... except the drain pan leaks and the cardboard is already oil-soaked from previous A/T filter-fluid change!

old battery box out and new one to go in... once the old...one...can...be...removed... dang, I hate rusty nuts and bolts that have years of undercoating in their threads!!!  On a positive note, aint it great that almost any fastener on old cars takes a 1/2 or 9/16 inch tool!!??

"new" radiator support ready to go on... well, not really new, just without 15 lbs of rust on it like our original... oh yeah, and its either a year newer, or from a Montclair instead of a Monterey... or else its from a Galaxie... another reason to love old cars... mostly its not rocket science... a bigger hammer and a GBF screwdriver will usually carry the day when it comes to making stuff fit!

newer battery tray and support at the ready...

bumper supports resting in my "rust-removal" tank... vinegar!

bit of a late-afternoon glare on some cleaned and freshly painted nuts and bolts... my favorite part of the job!

car is now 75 lbs lighter w/out radiator support and its accululated 66 lbs of rust!

who says "patina" is cool??!! this is the "... bad and ugly" radiator support finally off, after some busted knuckles and cuts to fingers.  The "good" one is in the process of being painted.  Also bought some Gunk and assorted de-greasing products tonight at Adavnce Auto to clean up the engine before reassembly.  Also bought another can of GoJo... be out for 2 weeks and my wife is threatening to buy me some Lava soap!  Remember Lava... the only stuff we had for cleaning up... besides gas!

Pretty pictures on the way soon, I promise.  Daniel returns from camp next Wednesday, so I've got to get this thing back together!!

M

Finally!! a pretty picture... well at least to those who know the slow process that preceeds the first real re-install of a major component.  New radiator support... well, new to us.  And if anybody asks, a 64 model is not a direct bolt on for a 63... so, a bit of "fabrication" had to be done... hammer, vice grips and hack saw!  yeah, that's how we roll on the cheap!
Glen, thanks... sent you a PM earlier today about the wheels.
Well, looks like a trip to Shreveport is in our future; Daniel found a front and back seat on Craig's List there.

One would think in all of Texas we could find seats...!

Pics to come... hopefully.

Mark

well, turns out the car in LA did not have seats....!

back on the hunt!

well, Daniel would like "stock-ish" seating... anything from a 62-64 Merc full size or Galaxie should do...

wonder if I could go to my local salvage yard and have them do a search or something like that?

anybody ever done that?

Daniel spends some time "in the shade" doing the rustproofing...

Breezeway window "blues"...

got rust?  KBS "Rust Blast" to the rescue!

guts of the Breezeway window...

window and surrounding trim back in place!

would you send your son off to school in this??  well, maybe not just yet!

more grunt work...

removing paint from valve covers using a solution of lye and water...

no idea why the base color appears to be turquoise...??

rekon we'll need some new floor pans!

not too bad I suppose!

Plans to get it registered on thursday so Daniel can drive it a bit...

lucked into a set of useable 1963 Texas plates for Daniel!

no explanation needed...!

loaded up, ready to go to the body shop!

over the Houston ship chanel bridge, half way to the body shop!  about 3 weeks and we should no longer have a "see thru" trunk floor... and maybe solid-once-again rocker panels!!

body work well under way; the shop has sent Daniel a few pictures of the progress.  trunk should now be solid again, they've also done repair to the C pillars... and hopefully will be able to do the rocker panels.

full pics when it comes back!

Mark

well, Daniel's car is coming home in the a.m. from the body shop with some of the rust / repair work done.  He did not have enough $$ to get it all done in one trip, so its time to save and do some of the stuff we can at home.

pics up tomorrow I hope.

thanks again to all who have offered suggestions and encouragement along the way!

Mark

Maybe hard to see, but the main thing is, in the top picture, you can see the driveway thru the trunk floor and in the next picture, you can't!

So, now when son stows the bodies in the trunk, they won't get wet from water splashing up from the street into the trunk!  But seriously, we're on the way back from the brink now.  Time to start exploring other means (read cheaper and DIY-friendly) to take care of more of our rust problems... thinking of learning how to use fiberglass to do some patch work on the interior floor panels where my "learning-curve" won't forever be visible!

Thanks again to those who have been following Daniel's adventure in his first car.  Now that spring has pretty much arrived in Houston, we should be able to get in high gear with work on this beast.  Pictures as work continues...

thanks,Mark

May have a couple of cool birthday presents lined up for Daniel who is off on a ski trip with his church youth group this week.

I'm talking to a gent in WA state about some fender scripts and an original style gas pedal. 

Also, may be able to pick up a Galaxie folding front bench seat here locally in H town.

Send out some good deal-making vibes and maybe Daniel will have a better-than-usual birthday when he returns from NM!

Mark

I hope "slow and steady wins the race" still happens!! Some work on the back panel yesterday by dad while Daniel is off in NM skiiing!  That's KBS Coating "Rust Blast" thrown at some of our rust... 

Mark

well, more "grunt work" today while Daniel is in Haiti for the week w/mom delivering Christmas gifts to kids in a sponsorship program we partner with. 

Secured the brake and fuel lines along the frame; they were held in place with plastic wire ties and covered with caulking!

car's back on the ground awaiting Daniel's return so he can drive it a bit before we send it to the body shop for trunk floor repair...

hope to have some "prettier" pictures to show soon.

Merry Christmas to all; remember the real reason for the season; and hope you get just the Y Block stuff in your stockings you are hoping for!!

Mark

KBS on the frame...

to give you a sense of scale... this baby is low!

Daniel gets a little wheel-time before the next round of work...

despite the rust, incorrect seats, and Lincoln wheels, its a boy's first car... can you tell he's proud?

"self-adjusting brakes..."  yeah, right!

Next comes some serious "Gunk-time" in the engine compartment... after our current 48 degree cold-snap lets up, that is!

Daniel and Mark

the latest... replaced part of the linkage to the tranny; that tightened up the sloppy shifting. Both of us got good and dirty before that was completed!

Built a new wiring section from the alternator to the regulator.

Around mid month, we should be sending the car to the body shop for repair to the trunk and rear body mount area.  Hopefully we'll have some tasty "before" and "after" pics soon!

Mark

well, hopefully in a week or so its off to the body shop for repairs to the trunk floor and however much our present budget will allow.  Daniel can't wait to get his car registered and insured so he can start driving to school in it.

hope to have some real "before" and "after" pics to share soon.

he scored new door lock cylinders and an ignition so all the locks now match... car came with 4 keys when he got it! 

presently on the look out for either a split-back front seat and standard bench for the rear or his real dream seating... correct front buckets and console.

so, on it goes!

thanks Glen, but yes, I believe we have addressed the sloppy shifter by tightening up the linkage from the firewall down to the transmission.

Daniel and I got the gas tank out tonight.  Called the body shop today and they are ready for us to bring the car over to work on the trunk floor.  Hopefully they can also repair the rear quarter panels and rocker panels with the bag of money that Daniel has earned and saved recently. House-sitting can be rewarding!

Mark

interior stripped (mostly), ready to load up (tuesday) and then off to the body shop (Saturday)... we'll see how much our budget can stand. 
Daniel with scraper and wire brush in hand attaching the rusty Merc...

found so far while under the Merc:

-yellow jacket nest (3 and counting)

-Red dirt (!)

-live wasp

-oh yeah, RUST!

the Mrs and I are going out tomorrow night to work on Christmas shopping; Daniel better spend the better part of tomorrow night under the Merc, wearing goggles and scraping rust and undercoating...

all he wants for Christmas is a gold plated Mercury head key blank!

Mark

yep, that product is on our list... just as soon as we get the outer frame surfaces cleaned up and prepped with something like POR.

thanks for thinking of us!

Mark

big plans for Thanksgiving week... going to check out two possible parts cars (63 Galaxies) at a nearby junk yard; finishing up our brake rebuild; hopefully getting the frame clean-up finished and ready for rust treatment...

...for those kindly interested in our little project, I hope to have some interesting pictures to share, too.

Enjoy the holiday this week; let's be thankful for all we have!

Mark and Daniel

spent today with a rented air compressor cleaning out the inside of son's frame rails; felt like I was back on the farm on a tractor... covered with dust and dirt from head to toe! used a piece of busted emergency brake cable with a ratty end to jam inside the frame, working it back and forth, loosening up the rust and dirt inside the rails, then blowing it out and also using a vacuum.  Not pretty and not as thorough as I would have liked but it will have to do.

Daniel finished getting the brakes back together; only had to replace one wheel cylinder and kits for the other ones. Now to re-fill with brake fluid and bleed.

expecting the Eastwood inside-frame rust treatment and the KBS external rust treatment by Saturday... then the frame should start looking prettier!

also, got an early birthday present this afternoon... the kids got me a shop vac!

oh yeah, the weather here in Houston was beautiful today... sunny and in the high 60's-low 70's... same for the big day tomorrow as well... trying not to brag, but hey, I'm a Texan... so whatta ya expect!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are following our little adventure from the Smith's!

well, we got some more done over the week... Daniel now has a case of chicken pox! so he's off the project for a couple of days while he recovers.  Heck of a thing for a teenager to come down with but he's a trooper!

brake work almost done...

a real "customizer" at heart, Daniel adds a trunk light to the Merc!

Christmas comes early for Daniel c/o our newest Y block friend from 'BAMA; thanks Glen!

we drop the rear bumper to get at more rust...

first application of the KBS rust product; More of this step to come as we get after the entire frame... more pics of that to come.

Frame finished inside and out, good but not perfect. Used the KBS Rust Blast on the outside and Eastwood internal frame coating on the inside, finished with Rustoleum gloss black. 

Next will be off to the body shop for repair of the trunk floor, starting here as its the area most in need of work, then as money permits, rockers, rear quarters and floor pans.

Daniel can hardly wait to get behind the wheel and on the road.

Daniel gets the radio working, while Dad is scraping rust in the trunk and under the car...

Broke down and bought an abrasive wheel for my drill to try on rust... "before"

"after" using wire wheel attack...

"after" abrasive wheel...that's shiny enough to catch the reflection of my red shirt!

KBS after one coat, using only the final step in their 3 step process...

close-up

and after second coat...

special delivery today all the way from Georgia

its the complete shift linkage to get the column shift back together and working; don't you love finding a "good ole boy" on the internet who will work with you!

and finally, a test in the trunk area using the abrasive wheel after using a paint scraper.

This weekend will see us raising the car up higher so we can more "comfortably" get underneath and begin the rust attack in earnest on the frame.  Still on the fence on which "paint over rust' product to go with... thanks to all who have weighed in with their favorites.  The weather in Houston is finally staying out of the 100's so its fairly pleasent working outside on the car.  More to come...!

Mark

Began the brake rebuild last night with Daniel on his Mercury.  Disassembled one rear, left the other side intact for reference... sort of like measuring twice, cutting once...;

anyway, in the process of putting the driver's side back together, we noticed that on the passenger side, there are a couple of pieces missing, pieces used in activating the emergency brake... someone in the past must have concluded that the emergency brake feature was a luxury and just didn't reinstall them during a brake job.  So, I will be back at my local junk yard hunting parts.  May post in the WTB section of the classified area on this forum if I hit a dry hole.

not much in the way of interesting pictures to post right now... just rust, road salt, poor repairs in the past and grease on everything!

Hoping for some interesting and photo-worthy activity soon!

Mark

this is the "pretty" version of our first brake rebuild on the Merc...  all parts present and accounted for, new wheel cylinder kit, and parts cleaned up and reinstalled...

this is all I can bear to put out there for inspection as a "before" pic... needless to say, the brakes have been rode hard and put up wet way too many times!

Daniel gets what he wanted here... all the dash lights lit up and working...

its all about incrementalism when it comes to restoration, right?

next up, complete brake overhaul on the remaining 3 wheels, then get after the bottom in high gear.  Folks have given us some great ideas on attacking our rust under the car... chimney sweep brush sounds like the best "pipe cleaner" suggestion for getting the insides of the frame cleaned up, so I'll probably get one... or two... and try that, followed by the Eastwood internal frame rust product.  Full scrape of the rest of the undercarriage moves to the top of the list.  May post some before and after pics of that aspect of our project.  Need to get the car up high enough in the air so we can really get under the whole thing.  There may still be an air scaler in our future, too.

More to come...!

Daniel and Mark

Glen, I just sent you a PM but don't know if it went thru... might have had a hiccup right in the middle of the sending process...

please let me know when you can if you received my msg.

thanks,Mark

will do!
 True love... my 57 Fairlane comes out of the garage where its been kept the entire 20 or so years I've had it...

and Daniel's first car, the 63 Monterey, goes in!  The better to jack it up as high as possible so we can get under it and tear into the rust, undercoating and whatever else is on the dirty side of the car.  Neighbor across the street has loaned me his tent cover... and it almost covers the Ford...

more to come!

PS: very generous forum member here has reached out to us and offered some parts for Daniel's car... more specific thanks to come!

Mark

more scrapinig the bottom of Daniel's Merc; knocking rust off and there's actually some solid steel under there!

Sold some of Daniel's old radios at the vintage radio club auction today, so now we are moving forward with some brake part purchases.

Also believe I have scored a shift linkage so we can reinstall the column shift and get rid of the hacked in floor shift that came with the car.  Anybody got any idea how to hook up the shifter/linkage on a 63 Merc/Ford full size with automatic?  hopefully it will be pretty foolproof!

hopfully we'll have som pics of progress to post soon... oh year, Daniel has really getting the bumpers back to their shiny, chrome-glory!

Mark

wow... just read that last post; please accept my apologies for the bad spelling!
Received some NOS rocker panels today from Black Car LLC; found them while doing a google search for Mercury stuff. So the gathering of parts is officially on.  Will pick up some better rear brake drums tomorrow from my local salvage yard (I grew up calling them junk yards).  They also have a 64 Galaxie at the back of the property that I may be able to raid for some 14 inch stock Ford steel wheels, front and back bench seats and the shift linkage. The counter guy gave me a couple of leads for more body panels in Ft Worth and Oklahoma at other yards; hope that develops into some good buys. 

Perhaps the most important development is that Daniel got all his paperwork done today and will start his after school job tomorrow at a local retirement center; working in the dining room.  He had to get a tux shirt and bow tie to wear with dress slacks.  Its his first real job and I know he will be a good hand for the facility.  It so hard for folks to find work these days, and especially for kids still in school. 

Hope to post some pics soon. Thanks to all who are interested and encouraging.

Mark

trip to my local junk yard yielded two "new" rear brake drums that were rusty but had enough life to be turned, so they and the front drums are getting the treatment.  This weekend should see them further cleaned up, repainted and reinstalled. Hopefully we will get the instrument panel reinstalled as well. Transmission linkage located and on its way from a good ole boy in Georgia.  Pics this weekend if all goes as planned!

Mark and Daniel

OK, some more pics of the down and dirty, nitty gritty, dull and boring part of restoration...

junkyard rear drums in primer...

and with fresh paint...

that's about 10 lbs of rust and old grease off the front dr side suspension... wow, it DOES have power steering!

nope, not the latest shuttle craft from NASA... just a Merc in search of some respect... and good brakes!

the first of what will no doubt be replacement sheet metal... rocker panels from Black Car LLC.

Daniel shows that a rusty license plate lamp socket will in deed NOT provide a good ground for the circuit!

Daniel working to remove clearcoat (!) from the back bumper... must have been a previous owner's idea of keeping the chrome in good condition.

As mentioned at the start, this is not a Y block powered car, but Daniel cut his teeth helping me work on my 57 Fairlane with a 272, so the old car bug had a ready-made home when he saved his nickels and found this Merc.  390 FE powered presently, althought last night he was thumbing thru the service manual that came with the car and discovered a seductive set of numbers... 406 with 3X2 induction!  complete with graphic depiction of such a set up in stunning black and white!  Yep, he's a car guy thru and thru!!

thanks for all the kind comments and suggestions so far... we are privileged to share this adventure with the best forum members on the www!

well, looks like a pretty complete brake rebuild is in our future... I got the bright idea of cleaning off the backside of a rear backing plate with some diesel a day or so ago and noticed today that the wheel cylinder is dripping brake fluid (DOT5, by the way-thanks to those who helped me determine it was silicone).  Guess the rubber cups were bound to leak sooner or later due to age if nothing else, so its off the parts store for rebuild kits for front and back.

on a somewhat related note, Daniel got the last element of behind-the-dashboard stuff working last night... the cigar lighter had a short, so he replaced the element with a "generic" one from Autozone; bit of grinding on the edge and it fit like a glove and lit up!  New fuses as well in place now, so he should get the gauge panel back in place soon.  when the lights are on, the gauges and speedo light with with a really cool green color instead of just plain white...  pics of that when done will be put up for those interested in a young man's first restoration project.

Mark

Glen, thanks for the tip; yep the HAMB is my next stop for info and suggestions.
updated 09/12/11:

-gradually peeling back the layers of this onion... just ordered a sample kit from KBS Coatings to try out in an attempt to mitigate some of our rust problem; will share the results w/pics for those interested; should be later this week or weekend.

-we're first attacking the in-dash wiring in an attempt to remove all the "customizing" that was done and return to original specs... have pics, they're not pretty!

-given that this thing has been thru some attempts at "upgrading" in a past life, I'm thinking I need to confirm that it indeed has the engine indicated by the data plate... 390 ci... anyone know the location of a casting mark on the heads/block that would confirm this?  if so, I'd appreciate a hand, since my only experience with old engines so far has been my Y block.

pics to follow... thanks again for all the input, suggestions and favorable comments... they help keep Daniel motivated!

Mark

see... told ya it wasn't pretty.  not even going to post any of the "patina" till I can do some before/after shots using the KBS Coatings stuff...

Mark

yep... I know what you mean about being 16 and willing to "kill" for a certain car... but for some of us, when we were 16, we were riding around in a car that we thought was dull, but today we would "kill" for... like my Mom's sweet green and white 2 dr hardtop 56 Mercury!  At 16, all I thought was how terrible it was to have to ride around in an "old lady's car" like that Merc!   Wow... if only I had it now!

good thing about Daniel is, he appreciates what most of us consider "classic" cars!  Every one of his school friends who have seen this car have been knocked over with how "cool" it is... guess some things transcend fads and such!

Just took receipt of my sample kit from KBS Coatings yesterday afterrnoon, so by this weekend, I should have some pics to post of the treated trunk area... its really bad!  I'm just hoping to halt the rust for the time being until we have the money and sheet metal to do it right!

thanks again for the interest and suggestions; Daniel reads every post and just smiles at the input from the Y-block family!

Mark

yep... I won't even describe how the seatbelts are secured in this thing!

on a more expensive note, my body/paint guy came by the house this afternoon to have a look-see and will give me an estimate for the body/paint work... that will hopefully be done sometime in the distant future... looking at prob $3-4K in body repair work and into primer... then prob $2K more to get it all the way done.  Same guy who helped me do my 57 Fairlane, so I know and like his work.  It'll just take some time for Daniel to come up with that kind of money.

in the meantime, temp repairs/mitigation on rust and getting it safe enough to drive to school and back will be the day's order.

more pics day after tomorrow if all goes according to plan!

Mark

a few pics of the mundane steps: doing some rust treatment in the trunk area (KBS Coatings 3 step product), attacking years of grease and road gunk and some elbow grease on the front drums...

small area cleaned with a wire wheel on my drill...

step one: Aqua Kleen: it really does take off a lot of rust!

RustBlast: further cleaning and etching leaving the surface prepped for the last step...

final step: RustSeal in gray... flows nice and smooth... what rust??

yuck! gotta buy some rubber gloves... my cuticles were shot after a couple of hours here!

front drums pretty rusty!

after the wire wheel; plan to hit this with "high-build" primer then black high-temp paint

pretty dull stuff I know, but its all part of the show, right?  Guess I'll buy a couple of gallons of diesel fuel to do the initial grease/gunk removal instead of buying spray cans of "Gunk"; I used a full can of that just getting starting on the front end.

Thanks again for sharing our adventure and as always, your suggestions/input/comments are appreciated! 

Daniel and Mark

By davis - 13 Years Ago
safety first.

on the positive, affordable, easy to fix, cheap tags, simple. there's a reason why quality and simplicity keeps it going.

helps to look cool too!

By mctim64 - 13 Years Ago
Cool first car!  You had me fooled with the date on the pix though. Tongue
By Missouri Mike - 13 Years Ago
Mark and Daniel

Congrats on snagging a black, two door hardtop Merc. Neat car, good choice.

I sub at the local high school once in a while and anyone with an old car or truck instead of a used jellybean car gets lots of interest and a big thumbs up from the boys...................... and the girls.

Good luck with your project, keep us updated.

Missouri Mike

By stlroken - 10 Years Ago
That is one GOOD LOOKING Merc...you both should be proud.Love the color.
Jim
By Ol'ford nut - 12 Years Ago
You talked about using fiberglass for some repairs. I've done this with no luck. Have found using a body filler called Tiger Hair worked. It is a filler with fiberglass in it. Hope all works out for you, fighting rust repairs can drive you nuts.
By Bob's 55 - 10 Years Ago
We LIKE pictures!!!w00tw00tSmooooth

Take plenty of progress pictures, it's fun to look back.
By Big6ft6 - 13 Years Ago
PICS! PICS! PICS MORE PICS!

I'm so jealous...at 16 i would've died to have a car like that.

I have a large spot in my heart for mercs.  My first car was an 1984 Grand Marquis.  My initial impression was "grandma car" but it didn't take long for me and my 6'6" frame to fall in love with the smooth riding big cars, and soon I was defending my Grand "Merc" as I called it, against all my friends cooler two doors.

My love grew and soon I was reading books on Mercury History, when I was 18 I bought a 1969 Marquis Convertible with 429.  I drove it home on one brake (didn't know until later)  There was no top so I had to put a tarp over it, but the top frame still went up and down.  I eventually had to sell it to a towing company to pay for the towing fee after the city towed it away one winter while I was at college and had no money.

I'd give a lot to still have that car...the tail light went all the way across the back...so cool!  

My grandma had a 60's monterey with a breeze way and two 4bbls (so I'm told)!  

By Talkwrench - 12 Years Ago
Good work, your son wont forget these times...Wink
By jonnireb - 12 Years Ago
Good to hear it.Keep us posted.
Well, Sheveport ain't all that bad.
Thnks for the update.

As someone said earlier, you're a great dad.

All right!!!

Congrats on the job. Keep up the good work & keep us posted.

Lookin' great, keep up the good work.
Great, you've got him going right.

Keep it up.

By jonnireb - 11 Years Ago
Looking good!
By jonnireb - 10 Years Ago
Good to hear , you're getting close.
Keep us posted.
By jonnireb - 10 Years Ago
Great going, guys you did it. Perfect? Finished? Probably not, but you don't
ever want to be at a place where there is nothing more that can be done to it.
By YBLOCKMERC - 12 Years Ago
texasmark1 (12/13/2012)

Daniel doesn't know it yet, but Santa may spring for the final paint as well! Ocean Turquoise, a mid-60's Fomoco color,

I saw that color on a '63 Merc at a car show last summer...spectacular! Great choice. I love this story, you're both very lucky. Happy Holidaze.
By YBLOCKMERC - 10 Years Ago
Congrats! I'm a Merc guy and it's been fun to watch the process over the last couple years. What a journey you two have had with that car. It looks so fine and you should be justifiably proud. Way to go!
Hope the drive to school went well and Daniel is having as much fun driving it as he did restoring it.
By YBLOCKMERC - 9 Years Ago
From what I saw, he did a lot of growing up with that car. Someone is going to get a fine old car. Good luck to him.
By The Master Cylinder - 13 Years Ago
Is it the kind that has a "key" cast into it with a matching socket to remove it? Each one is a little different so you can't use one design to take off another. I have had to take an air hammer with a chisel bit to get some of those off in the past when people lost the socket. Fortunately most aren't put on really tight due to the configuration.

Nice looking car your son has... plenty of room in that back seat. You should let the younger and "slimmer" of the two of you crawl under the dash tho. Laugh

Your wife must be quite a lady to let him work on the dining room table. w00tw00t
By The Master Cylinder - 13 Years Ago
texasmark1 (9/6/2011)

on the subject of rust, anyone have any experience with KBS Coatings and their rust products? we will have to tackle our rust in stages... mitigation first to try to "contain" as much as possible then as the budget allows, replacement of the usual suspects... lower rockers, trunk floor, interior floorpans, etc...

again, thanks for your kind interest and input!

Mark

Mark, never used KBS Coatings but I have had good luck with Silver Bullet http://www.rustbullet.com/?source=adwords&gclid=CMnEj926i6sCFQVrgwodNlZEyw. I used a little over two qts. to cover the entire interior floor of my '55 Ranchwagon.
By The Master Cylinder - 12 Years Ago
texasmark1 (12/8/2012)
all Daniel wants for Christmas this year are car parts

Doesn't get any better the older you get. w00t that's all I want too!! Smooooth

texasmark1 (12/13/2012)

You're a good Dad, Unsure err Santa w00t
By The Master Cylinder - 10 Years Ago
Sounds like a stuck/bad lifter to me...
By The Master Cylinder - 10 Years Ago
Mark, I remembered Daniel had an FE that's why I suggested a sticky lifter. The FE's have hydraulic lifters. I'm not a big fan of oil additives but I don't see any harm in trying a can of Seafoam (it does claim on the can to "quiet noisy lifters"). I have had good results with adding Seafoam to the gas tank (to absorb some water) but never tried it in the crankcase.
By Jimz Bird - 13 Years Ago
Ahhh, to be 16 and COOL.  What a great time!

I smile and have fond memories whenever I read your posts.

Great to see the two of you woking together on that project.

It will mean a lot to him as he gets older.

By Jimz Bird - 10 Years Ago
Mark - Try this. It works for me even though the Insert Image does not.
On the picture you want to insert - right click and do a copy.
In the Post Reply box - left click to get a cursor then hold down the Ctrl key and tap the V key.
I also change the font to a darker shade by highlighting the words and clicking on the A (Font Color) and then drag the circle down to the lower right so the number in the box reads all 0s.
The Preview box below should show the picture and font changes.
By Y-Block Stan - 13 Years Ago
Very nice, my first was a 67 monteray and I miss her. Whats under the hood? 352, 390? I gots ta know! good luck with it and nice piece.
By iceokie - 13 Years Ago
Looks like he's doing a good job. He'll always remember working on that first car. I learned several lessons working on my first ride . . . mostly how not to do stuff.
By MplsMike - 10 Years Ago
Very nice! Congratulations!
By matthewfields - 12 Years Ago
Of - course i would say this story encourage a youngster as well me.
By msauls - 11 Years Ago
Fantastic Thread, thanks for sharing!
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
texasmark1 (3/16/2014)
the body work is astounding! so many long, straight sections and they look pretty smooth and even to me!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/9c90997c-2751-40fb-b0fe-d5d2.JPG

WOW

Incredibly straight, many many hours of work there !

Great job!

By OldTGuy - 11 Years Ago
Nice project, looking good.

JJ
By Meandean - 10 Years Ago
I have a strong memory of riding in the backseat of one of these Merc's as a youth to/from little league game or practice with another kid from our town. When his Dad put down the back glass and the breeze whipped through, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Enjoy the car - Dad and Son!
By 62f250 - 11 Years Ago
Its good to read about a young man spending time with his dad on a project of this sort and having enough patience to see it through. My story is somewhat similiar, my first car was a 63 galaxie 500 xl in much worse condition than your sons. I've learned almost everything i know about cars on that car my dad and i got to work on it together as well. I know its a car i'll never forget nor will i ever get rid of,20 years later she still puts a smile on my face. That first ride your son gets to go on will be one he'll never forget. Congrats on all the hard work completed and good luck on all of it to come and thanks for sharing the progress
By Larry Short - 9 Years Ago
Mark,

Sometimes we all have to make hard dissensions,  but tell Daniel that sometimes we get better things in return. 
Tomorrow will be a brighter day.

Larry
By Edrammy - 9 Years Ago
Quickest and easiest is tack weld a stock lug onto the lock nut
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
Most people find old cars to be cool. That's not a problem. The problem is that most people are brainwashed into believing that old cars are terribly unsafe unreliable and expensive and this for the most part is completely untrue. Now, safety, the older it is, the more unsafe it tends to be. You have an significantly increased chance of survival in a newer car. That is an area where technology simply comes out ahead.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
So it didn't bog before messing with the distributor?

Double check the dwell of the points.  Check the initial timing.  Observe the operation of the mechanical advance to ensure it is operating smoothly.  It should not advance immediately off of idle but it should start relatively close to idle.  If you use a tach, it should start advancing before 1500rpm.  Disconnect the vacuum advance to see if the problem goes away.

Since you did change timing, it can also be fuel related.  It may have been tuned well before but now you need to go back and make adjustments, possibly to idle screws and the accelerator pump.
By charliemccraney - 9 Years Ago
Gary,
In the good service manual, Helm, for my '88 Firebird, that is pretty much exactly what is used.  No spring compressor.  It's a trolley jack with a special adapter to hold the a-arm and you just jack the a-arm up to the chassis, compressing the spring at the same time.  Might be a good tool to make some day.  I'd feel a lot safer doing it that way than using a spring compressor - that was not at all a comfortable job.  Lowering springs are apparently much easier, but it is low enough for me with stock springs.
By Ted - 10 Years Ago

Mark.  I get that same error message when trying to use the site’s picture posting capabilities. An alternative option until the site’s software can be fixed is to use an outside picture host such as Photobucket or Flicker and simply link the pictures to the YBF site.

By Ted - 9 Years Ago
texasmark1 (6/19/2015)

Update on Daniel's Mercury: its still for sale. had it on CG and ebay for a week (free listing!)... no bites. Now I have it parked at a local "park and sell" lot in town.  Drove it tonight for about 25 miles and noticed falling oil pressure.  It has a working gauge ("Low to High")' starts out when cold at about half way between the ends of the scale and gradually falls to near the "low" end.  No real quantity of smoke out the back while driving, only a spit or two when first started up.
Any suggestions on possible causes for the low pressure?

Daniel.  You’ll have to refresh my memory on that 390.  How many miles on it?  What weight oil is being used?  Plenty of oil in the pan?  How long since the last oil change?  Beyond all that, the first order of business would be to check the factory electric gauge against a known good mechanical gauge.  This could be as simple as an electric oil pressure sending unit giving a false reading which gives you a little hope for a cheap fix.

If the electric gauge checks out as being correct, then here’s more.  The factory oil pumps are marginal on those engines when they are in good condition so with a little bearing wear, the oil pressure suffers.  The oil pumps are also prone to wear which will also cause a drop in ‘hot’ oil pressure.  I’ve found that a high volume pump is a quick fix for those FE’s that are either worn or built on the loose side in regards to bearing clearances.  In this case, it may be a solution for correcting the hot oil pressure and would be much less expensive than a complete engine rebuild.