Profile Picture

Exhaust test to end all tests?

Posted By Ted 13 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
           Thanks all for your comments/replies, the use of round pipe was never in question, it was the point of using a "square" port flange and re-shaping the pipe to suit. Why all the extra effort, when the relevant sized tube for the port would be so much simpler/cleaner. When in dedicated racing use, more often than not, that is exactly what is done. Now I realise horses for courses, which brings me back to the line of thought, that there must be a valid advantage/reason. Sorry if I seem dumb, or sound like a broken record, but could try explaining again.                                                           

Thanks again, Scotty!

"MY TWO BOBS WORTH!" (Twenty Cents AUD)

Y-BLOCKS ROCK!!!!!

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Scotty (3/30/2011)
Thanks all for your comments/replies, the use of round pipe was never in question, it was the point of using a "square" port flange and re-shaping the pipe to suit. Why all the extra effort, when the relevant sized tube for the port would be so much simpler/cleaner. When in dedicated racing use, more often than not, that is exactly what is done. Now I realise horses for courses, which brings me back to the line of thought, that there must be a valid advantage/reason.
Looks like I’m going to do another of those lengthy explanations here. For the most part, if you can put a dollar sign to the question, you’ll find the answer. In this case, it costs much less for the header manufacturer to utilize round ports at the header flange as these are much easier to produce than the ‘square’ ports at the flanges. That’s the dollar sign answer.

But the essence of your question boils down to laminar flow versus turbulent flow at the exhaust port exit. With a round header port matching up to a square exhaust port at the head, there will be more turbulent flow at that point and part of that is due to ‘eddies’ that are being produced at the edges of the port. Those ‘eddies’ come about due to the extreme irregularity of the two different shaped ports being mated up to each other. When both the exhaust port and the header/manifold are similar in shape, then the flow becomes more laminar and as such, overall flow potential is increased simply due to the reduction of eddy currents in the air flow where the header meets the head.

Besides the flow properties of a square or rectangular port on the head going to a similar shaped port on the header being an improvement over that of a round port, space utilization at the exit area on the head with a square or rectangular port is also better. An example is a 1.625” round port will have a square surface area of 2.074 inches. A square port that’s 1.44” X 1.44” will have the same cross-sectional flow area at 2.074”. Although the cross-sectional areas are the same, the non-round shaped port will have a greater flow capability than the perfectly round port.

On the stock heads, round ports at the headers are typically not a serious detriment in regards to flow obstructions or gasket sealing as the corners of the ports on the heads are still within the boundaries of the round port at the header. When increasing the head exhaust port sizes beyond stock, then the outside boundary of the round header port size can be exceeded which makes for a flow inhibiting obstruction for the exhaust to make its way past. At this point, the square ports become a necessity if the ports at the heads retain the overall square configuration.

I’ll also add that the exhaust port gasket sealing area on a rectangular head exhaust port is substantially increased when using a similar shaped header port. Going to a round port on the exhaust manifold or header where the head port exit is rectangular will minimize gasket sealing on the vertical and horizontal centerlines at the edge of the ports.

Here’s a link to the thread showing some various ports and how the gasket sealing area is affected when doing a rectangular versus round port at the head. Obviously with a round port at the head, it’s also going to take a round port at the header as it would be a monster sized square port to compensate for the round port size.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic46226-3-2.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ScottY
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)

Hi There Again Ted,

Thanks very much for your extra time in rehashing my question. that is much appreciated I assure you. Your answer is pretty much along the lines i had in mind also, but couldn't quite  rationalise it to myself. so again, thanks. Also, how did those heads ported to round exhausts perform on your tests? I had a bit of a search for it but didn't find it. As Aussie Bill said he had done that back in the day, so to had an Uncle of mine, though not on a Y-Block.

Hope all is well with you n yours, and another congrats on the EMC Project, fantastic result!

yours Scotty!

Y-BLOCKS ROCK!!!!!

jardine
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Ted has hit the nail on the head as to port match. The whole anti reversion theory is simply a band aid for a screwed up header to start with. How much time and money do you spend to blueprint the intake to head? The same should apply to exhaust port. It's even more critical as the exhaust pulses are traveling way faster. This week I'm building a set of headers on a 632ci drag car. The customer supplied the flanges with a 2.5" round port. The port is actually happy with a 2" tube. I spent a lot of time sleaving it down to 2". The collector is 2 3/8". The 2" at the port cones out to 2 1/4".

Thanks,

Jerod.

Jerry Jardine's Header Palace

307 455 3960

headers@jar-tec.com
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

ScottY (4/7/2011)
........ Also, how did those heads ported to round exhausts perform on your tests? I had a bit of a search for it but didn't find it. As Aussie Bill said he had done that back in the day, so to had an Uncle of mine, though not on a Y-Block.
That particular pair of heads with the round exhaust ports exhibited middle of the road performance gains when tested against other heads with conventional exhaust ports.  Here's the graphs showing how that particular set of heads did with three different sets of headers.

ScottY
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks again Ted,

Reasonably impressive wouldn't you say Though well up there in rev range, and I would assume to though, that all these headers had the square port flanges still wouldn't they, and if so, surely none would have been large enuff to uncover/restrict, the ports?

Y-BLOCKS ROCK!!!!!

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

ScottY (4/10/2011)
......I would assume too though, that all these headers had the square port flanges still wouldn't they, and if so, surely none would have been large enuff to uncover/restrict, the ports?

The fenderwell headers were the only set of headers of the three sets used in the round port head test that actually had round ports at the header flanges.  The round ported heads themselves were actually ported back in their day to match up to this particular set of headers.  The EMC and Sanderson headers have rectangular ports that were actually smaller than the ports at the heads and as a result, both sets had some flow obstructions taking place as a result of the mismatch at the heads.  But to look at the torque graph, the EMC headers outshined the other two sets of headers in the lower rpm band regardless of the port mismatch.

But as usual, there’s much more happening here than just a head to header flange port mismatch. The large dip in torque seen with the fenderwell headers has since been attributed to the collector size on that particular set of headers as being way too large.  Had this been recognized at the time of the round port head test, the fenderwell headers would have performed much better with downsized collectors.

Since doing that particular cylinder head test, the fenderwell headers have been tested again with a different set of heads on the engine but also with collector extensions that brought the collector sizes down from 4” to 3”.  With that change, much of the pronounced dip that was evident with the 4” collectors was removed from the lower rpm band of the curve.  Here’s the torque graph where the round ported fenderwell headers were tested on the mildly ported G heads that have rectangular exhaust ports.

pegleg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Now THAT'S interesting! the mufflers did just exactly the opposite of what my intuition would have expected. More top end HP (TQ) and lower readings in the midrange. Splain that Lucy.w00t

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Gary R. (site member) had very recently shipped to me the latest Reds header offering for the ‘55/56 car chassis.  This new header is a four tube header design feeding into a very short 2½” collector.  Overall it’s still a shorty header but fares much better than the older two tube version that was tested.  Scoring is still calculated starting at 2300 rpms and ending at 5500 rpms.  I’ll add that this is also the best scoring chassis header that is designed to fit into the mid-fifties Ford cars.  All the other headers that outscored this particular set are either race car or dyno specific.  Here are the detailed results for this particular header. 

Reds 55/56 car 4 Tube 1.625” headers

Score

Peak

HP

Peak

TQ

Avg

HP

Avg

TQ

Mufflers

2” pipes 68” long w/mufflers

Yes

2” pipes 66” long w/ no muffs

No

2” pipes 24” long w/ no muffs

No

2½” pipes 75” long w/mufflers

Yes

2½” pipes 75” long w/ no muffs

No

2½” pipes 28” long w/ no muffs

No

2½” pipes 20” long w/ no muffs

No

2½” pipes 12” long w/ no muffs

No

And here is the revised chart showing the ‘best’ score for each exhaust system tested thus far. Keep in mind that the best score does not necessarily produce the best peak horsepower or peak torque values.

Description.

Score

Peak

HP

Peak

TQ

Avg

HP

Avg

TQ

Mufflers

Testing configs

Single exhaust with crossover pipe

NO

1955/56 Dual Exhaust manifolds

NO

Reds/Hedman two tube headers

NO

1957 Dual Exhaust manifolds

NO

Fenton cast iron manifolds

NO

Tri-Y stepped shorty Tbird headers non-firing order specific - GB

NO

Ram Horns w/2”into 2¼” pipes

NO

Shorty 1.625” w/box collectors - DC

NO

JC 4 tube car chassis shorty headers

NO

Tri-Y pickup headers firing order specific-CC

NO

Sanderson 1½” T-Bird headers w/2½” pipes

NO

Sanderson 1½” Pickup headers w/2½” pipes

NO

Reds 1.625” 4 tube hdrs for 55/56 car

NO

Fenderwell headers 1.75” tubes - MW

NO

Fenderwell headers 1.625” tubes

NO

KC 4 tube Maxton Mile 1 5/8” headers

NO

Rdstr 4 tube 1.75” gattling collector hdr

NO

EMC headers 1.75”/1.875” stepped

YES

FPA T-Bird hdrs 1.625”/1/75” stepped

NO

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

pegleg (4/16/2011)
Now THAT'S interesting! the mufflers did just exactly the opposite of what my intuition would have expected. More top end HP (TQ) and lower readings in the midrange. Splain that Lucy.w00t
Frank.  Those are the headers designed for the EMC competition and these actually work best with the mufflers in place.  Part of this has to do with the muffler inlet/outlets being larger than the actual collector size.  There is a 3” merge collector inside the 3½” header collector and the muffler sizing is 3½”.  This particular header and muffler combination ends up being a very nicely tuned exhaust system for the dyno and has thus far worked very well on a multitude of different Y combinations.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter