Profile Picture

Exhaust test to end all tests?

Posted By Ted 13 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Since I've never run the car with less than 2 1/2" pipes my  knowledge would be lacking. I went to the 2 1/2's because the rules allowed that size. But the outlets on the manifolds cannot be ported, so they're still roughly 2 1/4". that has to be a restriction.

Remember the motor is supercharged, so it needs all the help on the exhast side i can give it.That being said, the engine has been calculated to make 344 hp to the wheels through the mufflers. (2-1/2" flowmasters). It would be interesting to see what a good set of headers would do for it. Mummert and I tried a set or Yestertech headers on the Dyno. they were Roadster Headers, with very long primaries, I picked up 50 foot lbs of torque at 3000-3200, but very little top end horse power. But you can see the potential!  

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

yalincoln
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
thanks, frank and ted. i think i got what i needed. again i appreciate all your time and work just to help the rest of us out, wayne.

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
idaho211
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ted,

Thank you for the reply on the Ram horn and muffler recommendation.  One thing you mentioned going from 2 inch on the manifold to 2.5 inch pipes.  I see on the test it said 2.25.  Would you recommend 2.5 or 2.25 pipes from the exhaust manifolds?  Appreciate the help.

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
idaho211 (3/4/2011)
Ted,........One thing you mentioned going from 2 inch on the manifold to 2.5 inch pipes.  I see on the test it said 2.25.  Would you recommend 2.5 or 2.25 pipes from the exhaust manifolds?  Appreciate the help.
Don.  The Sanderson headers were tested with 2”, 2¼“, and 2½” pipes but the Rams Horn manifolds were only tested with 2½” pipes.  If using the Sanderson header test as a basis for pipe sizing in general, then the 2½” pipes will still work best on the Rams Horn manifolds even if the 2” outlet on the manifolds is maintained.  The key here is keeping the 2” to 2½”transition on the exhaust pipe itself as short as possible.  But taking this a step further, any enlargement that can be done to the RH manifold outlets will be beneficial so I’d recommend doing some custom work in that area when initially fitting up the pipes.  A 2¼” outlet on the RH manifolds would obviously be better and if you could work a 2½” outlet in there, then even better yet.  Here are pictures of the exhaust pipe used in the test with the Rams Horn manifolds and a 2” outlet to give you an idea of how the exhaust hookup was made to achieve the 2½” pipe diameter.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

grovedawg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
All other systems did not particularly like the mufflers. Different inlet sized chambered mufflers were used and which ones being used was determined by the exhaust sizing going into them.

I'm wondering if a muffler with a "straight through" design like a glass pack, or steel pack muffler would piss the Y Block off. I'm planning on running either Porters, or Smithy's. But if "ALL OTHER SYSTEMS DIDN'T PARTICULARLY LIKE MUFFLERS" then I may end up running straight pipes. What are you thoughts all wise one? BigGrin

Heber City, UT (15 mins outside of Park City- basically it's in the mountains)

55 Effie
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

grovedawg (3/10/2011)
I'm wondering if a muffler with a "straight through" design like a glass pack, or steel pack muffler would piss the Y Block off. I'm planning on running either Porters, or Smithy's. But if "ALL OTHER SYSTEMS DIDN'T PARTICULARLY LIKE MUFFLERS" then I may end up running straight pipes. What are you thoughts all wise one? BigGrin
Here's my two cents worth.  The only straight thru mufflers used in the extensive exhaust test were the Magnaflow mufflers used with the EMC headers.  Those mufflers had 3½” inlets and 3½” outlets which was a perfect match for the outside collector diameter on the EMC headers.  On the EMC headers, the Magnaflow mufflers actually improved the score over no muffler at all.  Part of this is a result of the muffler sizing actually being larger than the actual downsized opening within the collector itself.  I was running a 3" merge collector within the outer 3½" collector.  All the other systems when tested with mufflers used a chambered muffler design which were overall quieter but also more restrictive.  Based on this, a straight thru muffler would be better from a performance standpoint than a chambered muffler.

idaho211
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ted,

Thanks for the reply about the ram horns and the pics to help explain it.  I am on the fence about ram horns or sanderson truck headers.  Like the look of the ram horns and clearance on my truck.

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Here’s some more information that adds two more sets of headers to the list of those that have already been tested. These were also tested on the same engine combination as all the other exhaust systems which keeps comparisons equal.  Whereas only the best scores for each exhaust system were previously posted regardless of the number of configurations tested, here are the scores for each tested configuration for these two sets of headers.  The scores are still based on the overall performance in the 2300-5500 rpm range.

As in the previous tests, the mufflers continue to be appropriately sized based on the size of pipe that’s used in each test.  In the FPA header test chart below, there were three different pairs of mufflers being used.  The Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA) headers were unique in that the best numbers achieved were without any exhaust extensions being used and part of this could be attributed to the merge collector design being used at the ball shaped muffler connection at the end of the headers.  Many of the headers being tested did like some form of exhaust extension in which to improve their overall performance.

Crossover pipes were also tested and you can make your own assumptions based on the numbers.  Sometime in the near future, I’ll post the lower rpm band information which is where the crossover pipes appears to make the most difference when comparing the graphs.

FPA T-Bird 4 Tube 1.625”/1.75” stepped headers

Score

Peak

HP

Peak

TQ

Avg

HP

Avg

TQ

Mufflers

2.25” pipes 64” long w/mufflers

Yes

2.25” pipes 64” long w/ no muffs

No

2.25” pipes 18” long w/ no muffs

No

2.25” pipes 64” long & 2” dia crossover pipes and w/mufflers

Yes

2.25” pipes 64” long & 2” dia crossover pipes and w/ no muffs

No

2.25” pipes 18” long & 2” dia crossover pipes and w/ no muffs

No

2½” pipes 64” long w/mufflers

Yes

2½” pipes 64” long w/ no muffs

No

2½” pipes 18” long w/ no muffs

No

3” pipes 64” long w/mufflers

Yes

3” pipes 64” long w/ no muffs

No

3” pipes 18” long w/ no muffs

No

No pipes – open headers

No

Roadster 1.75” tubes 31” long with 18” long 3” dia collectors & no mufflers

Score

Peak

HP

Peak

TQ

Avg

HP

Avg

TQ

Without evacuation system hooked up

With evacuation system hooked up

charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Since the score continues to increase as the pipe diameter is increased, might some cone shaped expansion chamber help to achieve the higher numbers while still using a pipe and possibly a muffler.

The crossover pipe, is it an H or an X?

How does the open header graph compare to the EMC header graph?

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

charliemccraney (3/27/2011)
Since the score continues to increase as the pipe diameter is increased, might some cone shaped expansion chamber help to achieve the higher numbers while still using a pipe and possibly a muffler.

The crossover pipe, is it an H or an X?

How does the open header graph compare to the EMC header graph?

Charlie.  Even with an expansion chamber, any restriction at the muffler would be seen at the engine and ultimately bring down the power numbers.  But once the restriction part is taken care of, an expansion chamber could be used to move the torque curve around.  The mufflers being a straight thru design over a chambered design are expected to show up as an advantage in this case.  The mufflers on the EMC headers are a straight thru design while all the other mufflers tested were the chambered design.

The crossover pipe being used in this particular test is the H design.  Here are a couple of pics of the crossover pipe that’s being used.

Here’s the graph comparing the open FPA headers without mufflers to the EMC headers with and without mufflers.  Because the horsepower is so similar on both, I’m displaying only the torque values which gives a better resolution.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter