Profile Picture

New Bonneville Race Truck

Posted By 57FordPU 14 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
We need some really BIG Y-block decals! Chuck in NH

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
57FordPU
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Frank,

We had a great time with your visit.  You are welcome here anytime.  You helped me better understand the blower referencing for the fuel pump or regulator if we use a blow through carb setup.

Chuck,

There will be plenty of Y-Block information on the car.

Here is a mockup of the roll cage.

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

57FordPU
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Its possible, but not likely that I will use this setup.  It just gives me inspiration while I'm building the truck.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

glrbird
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Year
charlie,

There are lots of people making gobs of horsepower with twin turbos on GM engines, if the head gaskets will hold 30 psi of boot 200 should be a breeze!!!!!!! And then there is Nitrous to cool the intake charge.

Truck is looking fast already.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

57FordPU
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Gary,

We think a lot alike, it would be great to run 30 psi and nitrous.  If the engine would stay together, all you would have to do is point it down the track and hold on.

Unfortunately, no fuels are allowed in any pickup classes and you are right to address the sealing of the head gasket with that kind of boost.

After talking to Jerry C and Cliff Williamson (you can see his ad on the inside cover of Y-Block Magazine, issue #101) sealing the combustion area is a major problem that can be resolved to some degree.  By silver soldering wire in the groves of the steel head gasket you might get away with a boost of 10 to 12 psi.  To get it up to 15 or more you would probably have to machine rings in the block to accept a Loc-Wire seal and that would be very expensive due to the irregular shape of the circle.

Here are the arm and leg restraints.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

glrbird
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Year
charlie, you need to make friends with an owner of a CNC 3 axes mill to do your blocks.  Great looking truck so far. Keep us posted. I have enjoyed the postings of your exploits.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

57FordPU
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Up till now it has been mostly tearing down, collecting parts, and trial fitting.  Now the building actually starts.  Here are a few shots of the roll cage outriggers.

Driver's side front

Driver's side front finished.  You can't see the bottom plate closing the outrigger.

Driver's side rear

Yes, it went right through the middle body mounts.  I left them for added strength.  Not to worry, there are still four body mounts left.  Again, you can't see the bottom enclosing plate.

Next, it will be interesting trying to stay within the rules and set the engine back as far as possible, a new firewall will have to be built.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

grovedawg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I'm sad to see the brick retired. But also very excited to watch this build. Good luck Charlie!

Heber City, UT (15 mins outside of Park City- basically it's in the mountains)

55 Effie
57FordPU
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks grovedawg.

Now that the outriggers are done, I needed to get some paint on the rolling chassis.

With 123" wheel base, I hope to get a stable ride.

9" rear axle in the background is off to be narrowed and have some alloy 31 spline axles installed.

Not sure yet if I will need dropped spindles.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

Glen Henderson
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Good looking welds Charlie. I have promised a buddy that I would go with him next week and dig an old S10 drag truck out of the back side of a junk yard. The truck was wrecked a  couple years ago and the owner striped it and hauled the chassis to the junk yard. I looked it over and it was a well built rig with a 12 point cage. The cab, front sheet metal and bed are toast, but the frame and cage survived and appear to be undamaged. He does not have any concrete plans for it at this time but for $75, I told him if he didn't want it I did. I think that you could cut the floor and firewall from it and graft it to another cab.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL

Reading This Topic

Site Meter