Profile Picture

3 speed top loader trans.

Posted By salf100 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hello folks. I'm new to this site and look forward to talking with all of you.  I have a question about my 63 F100's trans.

The truck has the stock 3 spd toploader on the cloumn.  I want to convert to a floor shifter on this trans and heard somthing about using a Jeep top loader shifter or one from a different carUnsure  If not, whats the best universal shifter anyone has used?

The trans is in good shape and I dont want to change it out.  I still have the 292 motor in the truck.  I also need to change out the column which is another reason for the floor shifter. 

Thanks in advance!

1964 F100 292YBlock

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Last Week
Sal:

I don't know about the Jeep shifter top, but the best aftermarket shifter I have used is a Hurst.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

junkyardjeff
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

There is a Hurst 3 speed shifter out there that is as wimpy as a Mr gasket so get the good one,I have that shifter on my 65 custom 500 and its not that bad but nothing like the 4 speed shifters.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Sorry I wasn't more specific.  The one I have is an old '60s Synchro-Loc that I bought new.  It still works like new.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Dan in Seattle
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
I fell for those Chinese Hurst mystery shifters too and no matter how carefully I set them up they'd easily go two gears at same time. I also switched to those synchro locs and they work great. Wouldn't risk anyones trans and trash canned the Chinese shifters.

Dan in Seattle
fairlane bob
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I do remember a real old issue of "rod and custom I think" that showed how to use the Jeep top cover on a Ford top loader trans,I think A M C was using Ford trans in the Jeep ?? GOD It's been 30-40 yearsYou want to come look through my old issues of car mags sorry not segretated.Is there a 4/wheel drive place around you they may know about Jeep trans!!

hoppys1956
salf100
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Ok Ill keep an eye out for the good Hurst shifter. Now is that one more money? How do I know which is which?

As afar as the Jeep toploader, I read it on the internet, but never could get confirmation from anyone. 

1964 F100 292YBlock

lowrider
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Sal. I thought I had what you needed but realized you need one for a truck. I have a SynchroLoc shifter but its for a car. Big difference in shifter arm length. I had a Hurst Indy shifter before and the best thing I can say about it is that it will work. Dont expect to do any power shifting with one because they are whimpy. Good luck finding a SynchroLoc shifter for a truck. JEGS offers the Hurst Indy shifter for cars and trucks if you want to check out what they look like.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409
junkyardjeff
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

I only thought there were good Hurst shifters but found out otherwise when I bought the cheaper version off ebay,it works ok but definately is not the best.  I will have to say its better then the Mr Gasket shifter but not by much,it took me a couple hours of tinkering to get a M/G shifter to work good for my neighbor a few years ago.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Dan in Seattle
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Oooops, open beak-insert foot. I was assuming external shifters. Just yesterday afternoon I stumbled (literally) over a 3 speed topload trans in a guys shop. He said it was a mid 60s Stang trans with a jeep shift assy and he also intended it to go into one of his F100s. Did not know these were internal shifters. Also wonder if he knows the truck bell housing is deeper than car.

On the side this guy has a quite a collection of 20s to 60s rides stashed around his property. One of them is a 51 Lincoln, in the pouring rain with the drivers window half down! Car is dead stock dead straight, I offered to trade my sons good Versaille for it, nope, hope this really cool upside down bathtub survives. Learned that flat V8 Lincoln has the GM 4 speed hydro, same one that survived my teenage years whomping country roads in my much loved 53 2 door Capri? now where's that damn time machine.

Sorry about getting off track with external shifters.

Dan in Seattle

Reading This Topic

Site Meter