Profile Picture

1963 292/4-speed in Cab over bell housing help needed.......

Posted By 63cabover 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

1963 292/4-speed in Cab over bell housing help needed.......

Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Here's the deal and I imagine a few of you won't like it! I bought a 1963 Ford cab over and i will be restoring/customizing it with the intent to use it for my business (carpet cleaning). I love the truck and plan to leave the look of it all original and I suppose if I had the time and money i would stick with the 292 that is in it but i don't and it is already missing vital parts and I suspect it is seized since it has been open to the weather. My plan then is to replace it with a fuel injected 351W out of an 1989 Ford van, I will transfer most of the wiring harness and components from the van to my truck. I do wish to retain the 4-speed manual transmission that is currently hooked to the 292 Y block but if I'm to understand correctly the bell housing will not bolt up to the 351W. So I'm wondering if anyone here has advice, i need to know if there is an adapter plate available or if a bell housing off a newer transmission that fits the 351W will bolt onto my 4-speed. my only other option i can think of is to abandon the 4-speed and get a newer 4-speed that bolts up to the 351W but I'm worried because the Cab over has a special shifter plate that bolt to the tranny and I'm not sure it will work with another tranny , also this tranny is geared for my truck and fits the mounts and drive shaft so i think it would be best to keep it if i can....... Advice please!

P.S. I do plan to find a good home for the 292, it will not end up in a wreaking yard! Also i do know of a newer cab over with a newer engine but what appears to be the same tranny. Would anyone know what engine it might have? I Believe it is a 1968ish C750. I wonder if this newer truck would have the bell housing i need on it....
pegleg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
the 68 might, but i think I'd stick a C4 in it and eliminate the issue.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

63cabover
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Well it would be a C6 since it's a 10,000+ pound vehicle but I can't run an auto because it has air brakes, with air brakes if you ride your brakes going down a hill as you would if you had no engine brakes it would use up all your air pressure and your brakes would lockup. In any case it would not even be allowed on the road with the auto, the C6 was my first thought since i will be driving it mostly in the city I thought it would be nice to run an auto but it is simply not possible.
Park Olson
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
What size is the truck, 600,700? It would be a rare one to have a 292 with just a 4 speed and AIR?? brakes. just curious,

Any truck after '64 will have an FE big block, different bell.

charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 12 minutes ago
A '63 cab over will be a C or H series if I'm not mistaken, and it will probably have a bigger engine than a 292, possibly as big as 577ci if gas powered. If it looks like a Y at a glance, it's probably a Lincoln Y. The 351 may not be a good choice for such a large truck.

Lawrenceville, GA
Park Olson
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)Supercharged (140 reputation)

The base motor for '63, 500/600/700 would have been a 292, the fact of only a 4 speed sounds like a 500 or 600. Air brakes would start at 750 with a 5 speed and more motor.
lowrider
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
If it's a y-block looking engine you have the HD truck version of the Lincoln y-block. Displacements used to come in 302, 317 & 332. They were great workhorses and customers got alot of miles out of them. I think you would be much better off to either fix what you have or find the same engine for a replacement. This engine bolts into the truck like the older pick-ups. Front mount & 2 bellhousing mounts. I know of no 351 with a mounting set-up like that. You have a real TRUCK there and you need TRUCK componets to make it last. My .02

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409
63cabover
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

To start with a 351W is a truck engine (the 351 Cleveland was the car engine), it is also a very dependable and fuel efficient engine and it will start easily in -40 degree weather which the truck will be used in, I'm not planning on taking it to the race track! I have 2 vans that i use daily both with stock 351W the same as the one i have for the truck and they have loads of torque, I generally have between 1,500-2,000 pounds in my vans and they rarely even downshift on hills. The truck is a 3 ton and has a split axle giving it 8 speeds, I have never heard of a 5-speed in any vehicle that age. I'm not positive on the 292, I know I spent a few hours comparing detailed pics I took of the engine to pics and info i found on the internet, it matches a "Y" block in every detail and since the 292 was the biggest and newest "Y" block they made and they discontinued it after '64 I just assumed that would be what would be in my truck. In any case the engine is not really worth salvaging, it would cost well in excess of $3,000 to rebuild and I have my doubts it would come up to the H.P. and torque ratings of my stock 351, I got my 351 for free, runs perfect, low miles, doesn't use a drop of oil, for $3000 I could have it putting out around 400H.P. As for the mounts, that does not concern me in the least, i will be removing the entire cross member from my donor van that the 351 is out of and welding it into the truck, my only issue is finding the correct bell housing. I do apologize, I'm not trying to be difficult here but I'm not interested in being talked out of using my 351, I have a lot of experience with these engines and I know what they are capable of and most of all I'm comfortable working on them. Now as for the model of the truck, that is still a bit of a gray area for me since the emblems for the model are missing, as well the only numbers on the truck that remain are stamped on the left hand frame rail just ahead of the tire, they are: 4497L10AA1019D which I think is the Vin although the cab is actually missing it's Vin tag so i have no way of knowing and then this number which must be the model #: C3TA 5005 JC, I take this to mean it is a 3 ton C series, if anyone here can further decode these for me i would greatly appreciate it. I know the air brake system looks to be original equipment although it has recently be all redone. The other truck I know of is a C750, I believe it is a 1968, i know it is a 68 and up anyways because it has the side emblem on the front of the door with the model and integrated clearance light, they added this clearance light in 1968, it has a door tag that says it is rated at 182 HP but I can't see any indication to what size the engine is, perhaps the H.P. rating will be enough for someone on here to know.... My hope was that this truck would have an engine with the same bell housing pattern as the 351 but the same tranny as my truck since this truck doesn't have air brakes and has a tranny brake instead, it is a smaller truck then mine also in terms of length anyways. I apologize for the length of this post and thank anyone who can offer me any help on this matter.

Matt
PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Matt: I don't know if the 351 W is a good choice for your situation or not, being as the info on the truck is so vague. However, your statement that the 351 W engine is a truck engine vs the Cleveland being a car engine is definitely incorrect.

The 351 W was a standard Ford car engine for many years. The Cleveland was a higher performance engine supplied in some Ford products for about 4 years. Other altered detuned versions of it were available in trucks... The other thing that struck me is this. Based on vin # info & the fact that the plate is missing, do you have the registration? If not, are you going to be able to register the truck for regular use?..

Paul
Park Olson
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The 750 rated at 182 is likely a 330 FE motor, don't think the bell is the same as a 351. The "tranny" brake is a parking brake, very common on trucks that size, and yours too.

To further the ID of your truck, what type of wheel/tire combo does it have;,,,6 or 10 lug disc, or spokes w/ Dayton rims? what is the tire size?

Pictures would help about 300%   BigGrin

Reading This Topic

Site Meter