Profile Picture

Water pump help

Posted By 58F600 Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
It has lived its whole life on a ranch in Eastern Oregon. Probably seen more miles on dirt than pavement.

I did record a bunch and took a ton of pictures. I might upload some. We used to do a bunch of social media content generation and honestly it gets old. We didn't want to let the entire Internet comment or try and effect a personal vacation.

We plan to use it locally as a dump truck around our small farm/shop here in Tennessee.

We have a '49 Dodge B4c that we plan to travel the world in a few years. This seemed like a good practice trip.

It probably didn't need the intercooler, but we wanted to make sure to keep it out of detonation if at all possible. There is a few things I'll change to help with cooling now that we are home. The lower intercooler mount and shroud flaps being the first place I'll start. I'll probably order the FlowKooler pump as well.

Here locally it seems much happier. We didn't use cooling water at all for the last 250 miles home. It was much cooler and misty/drizzly though.

It makes a lot more boost now than it did out west! Haha
KULTULZ
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I'll probably order the FlowKooler pump as well.

Just a quick thought, you can buy just the impeller itself. Might save you a few dollars. I wonder if they offer one just for the truck pump?

Anyways, I didn't know you all were home. What section of TN are you in, west, middle or east TN? Got some good pulls east of Nashville.

GOOD LUCK to you both. Quite an adventure.

HT32BSX115
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Just now looked at their site and it appears that they replace the impeller in a stock (car) pump with their own aluminum anodized one.

It also appears that they may only offer "car" pumps but suggest (if needed) to use a sleeve spacer for the fan in a truck application.

They do offer impellers for rebuild but I suspect that they're only for a 5/8" shaft.  So if you have a "real" truck pump you're rebuilding, the impeller will not fit.
If enough people from here and maybe FTE were to deluge them with emails asking for 3/4" ID impellers, they'd produce them. 

Otherwise, I think one would have to chuck one of their impellers up in a lathe or set it up on a vertical mill and carefully cut a 3/4"  "interference-fit"  hole.

https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/products/1635-1954-1964-ford-y-block-221-227-239-272-292-300-312-water-pump

It's amazing what a truck water pump costs nowadays!  Just found 2 on eBay (I assumed rebuilt) for over $300 ea!

EDIT:

Ok....

Those dimensions got me thinking (yes, I know.....that's scary all by itself!!!)

I have an extra truck pump that is in otherwise good condx but several years ago, just to be "ready", I bought a rebuild kit for that pump from MAC's Antique Auto Parts in Lockport NY.  ( B6C-8591-KT )

The impeller (and impeller end of the new shaft) is 0.625" (5/8")  , and the flange shaft is  0.750" (3/4")!  I did not know this before but it would appear that  all the pumps (car & truck) use the same 5/8" ID impeller!

I found several truck  pumps online for around $325 (thanks Joe!)   But there may be a LOT of rebuild kits out there and using the FlowKooler impeller might just be the answer for better (increased) coolant flow!

Impeller end 5/8"

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6688fc76-347b-454c-b867-cf2.jpeg

Fan side 3/4"

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/193b55fb-65a4-46da-a680-375.jpeg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------
This post was created using OpenSuSE Linux x64 and Firefox

58F600
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)Supercharged (253 reputation)

That's good to know!

I'm going to stick with the car pump as you can't get the smaller mustang pulley over the 3/4" truck shaft snout, and the belt alignment would be off.

FlowCooler sells the impeller separate as noted on their site. Since car and truck are 5/8" on that end, I'll probably just do that on my new car pump and leave the smaller pulley.

Our set up now is so close to the the tipping point of being able to stay cool all the time. Now that we're home I can address a few of the little issues and see if they get us over the hump.

We're in Clarksville TN safe and sound! Two back to back 600 mile days got me home in time to take my nephew to the Indy race for his 21st birthday.
HT32BSX115
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)Supercharged (593 reputation)

Howdy,

I'm wondering if you heard anything about the "new" impeller?  I sent them an email using their web-based system and have not gotten an answer.

They did respond (auto-responder) but they did not answer my question about them rebuilding my truck pump or buying the impeller outright.

Also, I wonder if you have installed a pressure gage to monitor cooling system pressure when you see 210 degrees?

I have been thinking about using a 190-200 degree stat (and also monitor pressure) with a 10PSI cap.

You might have a "steam pocket" problem at the higher temps unless you allow the pressure to operate at a higher number.  So it would probnably be useful to know what pressures are seen at the higher temps.

I would think there's nothing wrong with running the engine at a slightly higher temp (10% higher)  Which would be around 200 degrees F  but you would need to use a higher pressure cap

https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/13852841-what-pressure-cap-rating-should-i-use

Any info on the new impeller?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------

58F600
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

High flow impeller is in the mail!

I also have a few thermocouples coming so I can document any changes now that we're home and can make meaningful changes.

We're running a 19psi cap, tested, since Reno. I would love to monitor cooling system pressure and might if we continue to have issues. We do log this on any modern FI car, as it can show a head lifting that tests fine in the shop. Unfortunately we're running Sniper EFI which doesn't have any open channels to log it. But we can always just add a simple pressure guage and run it into the cab and watch when its loaded and on boost.

I have rubber flaps coming to improve the shroud, and it's in the shop now to fix some other issues that might be blocking air into the radiator.

I'll report back with more data and results! Sorry I'm slow, my health isn't the best and trying to recover from living in a 58 F600 for a few weeks on the road lol
HT32BSX115
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Wow!
19 PSI would probably blow the top or bottom tank clean off my rad!! (if the pressure actually got that high!)

I installed a coolant pressure gage in my 21ft boat (Mercruiser 454/Bravo III)  that I also installed a San Juan Engr closed cooling system in.

The "radiator" is actually a water-to-water heat exchanger.  I think I have a 180 stat in it and I don't think I have ever seen more than about 190 degrees and maybe 10-12 PSI. (15 PSI cap I think)

A pressure gage is pretty useful. 

I think you'll  definitely want to look at temps at the inlet and outlet of the radiator.  that will absolutely tell you how much heat is being removed by the fan.

What did the impeller cost?

Hope you're feeling better!

Cheers,

Rick

---------------------

58F600
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Impeller was $80, $96 with shipping and tax.
58F600
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The more I test and measure the dumber I get! Haha

Got some time to play with it today. Test rig is very simple. Using the coolant temp sensor which is drilled into the manifold right behind the thermostat housing as my "radiator in temp" and I have a thermocouple fed into the hose going into the water pump inlet as my "radiator out" temp.

At idle in the shop, right at 23° temp drop across the radiator. 156°/133°

Drove down the road. 2,800rpm 55ish mph 181°/167°

List of suspects, pictures below.

#1 lower intercooler mount. A simple piece of aluminum angle, must be blocking air flow and hurting us

#2 60 year old non aerodynamic grill, must be blocking air flow

#3 intercooler, huge. Mounted right in front of the radiator, must be contributing to the issue.

Step one removed the grill and lower intercooler mount. Results 188°/179°, yep worse.

Removed the intercooler completely. 183°/173°. The intercooler is maybe adding a single degree. Honestly this is within our measuring tolerance for error.

The grill is such that the head lights and bezels must be removed to pull the grill. With intercooler and grill installed, but headlights out. 188°/180°. Theory is the air pushing in the head light holes is disrupting the air going into the radiator.

It's cooling off and I'm pulling the fan/shroud and adding the flow through holes/flaps

HT32BSX115
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I wonder if it isn't an airflow thing at all but more of a coolant flow  thing (or maybe a combination of both)

A baseline or control would be advantageous.  I also wonder what other cars and trucks (that are not over heating)  have for top/bottom rad temps for straight and level vs climbing a hill etc....

---------------------

Reading This Topic

Site Meter