Profile Picture

Fuel line to tank issue

Posted By B-rad 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I've been trying to put the tank back into my 54 lincoln but am having trouble connecting the fuel line. I didn't have an issue taking it apart but now it seems like the threads are stripped at the beginning of either the fuel line or tank. It's hard to see either side to know where the problem lies. I can't use a tap or die because the fuel line end is too big for the die to go over and the threads in the tank are not deep enough for the tap to connect right to the threads. I'm thinking about maybe using a dremmel tool to try to correct the threads in the tank but am not sure what tool to use.
My engine and tranny are rebuilt and connected and ready to go in. I just need to finish painting the engine bay and undercoating the tranny tunnel area first. I did scrape everything off the frame and underbody and am spraying undercoating on everything. So surprised to see how perfect everything looks under there. Just old undercoating and very minor surface rust. Just a quick wire brushing takes it off.
Once the engine is ready to install, I'll have to prelube the engine while it's out. Way easier I imagine.
I don't have any electrical in the car anymore so I'll be asking how to get her started and broken in. Then I will be installing a new wire harness. Expect updates.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
57RancheroJim
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I wouldn't use anything like a dremmel tool or any other tool that can create a spark
B-rad
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)

The tank hasn't seen gas since 1965 and I cleaned it out. So I think it's safe. Seeing if there's a way to fix the first little bit of threads

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
paul2748
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Is the fitting in the tank and inverted flare?  If so, it has a straight thread (not pipe).  Try threading a bolt of the correct pitch and size in the hole (don't thread it in too far and hurt the flare inside).  If it goes in ok, then it's the fitting on the line.  Sometimes its difficult getting something like that to start if the line is bent a little  so the threaded part is on a slight angle so it won't thread in.  Just a trial and error thing.  I've had this problem in the past if the angle is just a little bit off.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 12 hours ago
Another option is to use the same size inverted flair nut without the tube and use that to thread into the hole.  Using the correct nut will ensure that the threads are good all the way down to the raised bevel at the bottom of the hole.  As Paul mentions, the existing nut with the tube within it must be at the correct angle before being able to start within the hole.  It’s very easy to cross-thread those inverted flair nuts if not being careful with the angle when starting them into their respective threaded holes.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

B-rad
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It was suggested to me by a friend of mine that it would behoove me to change out the original fuel line for new. That way I could cut the fitting off the old lune and use that to try and fix the threads on the tank. I'm sure it would be difficult to completely clean all the crap in the old one so it would be worth it to put on a new line.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
A "bottom tap" might clean up the first threads of the tank fitting.  A bottom tap has no lead-in taper, full thread starts right at the end of the tap.  They are used to cut the threads all the way to the bottom of a blind hole.  If you can't find a bottom tap, you could grind the tapered part of a regular tap off.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
panel driver
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You may be able to use a thread file on the line side of the fitting. The bottoming tap is also a great idea for the tank side. . 
Hope this helps. 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
B-rad
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Excellent idea, bottom tap. I didn't know those existed. Thx
Isn't the threads a special type of threads? Straight threads vs pipe threads.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
If your line is 5/16 diameter (likely), the thread is 1/2-20.  If it is 3/8 diameter line, (unlikely), the thread is 5/8-18.  These are machine threads, not pipe threads.  You might be able to use a fine thread bolt with notches sawed or filed in the threads as a thread chaser if you don't have a tap available..

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter