Profile Picture

Fuel line to tank issue

Posted By B-rad 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
If I was to grind the tapered part of the tap off, is there a way to know if it is done right? Like if you saw a bolt the start threads may not be cleaned out properly to screw a nut on and need filing. What should the starter thread cutters look like on the tap after grinding?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
paul2748
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
While using a tap seems like a good idea, if it doesn't start correctly you have very good chance of really screwing it up by cross cutting threads.  Cutting the end of a tap off if not straight can cause a misthread.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

B-rad
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)

I got a bolt with the correct thread count and it screwed right into the tank. I'm going to get a nut today and make sure it screws onto the line fitting. If it does, then why won't the two pieces screw together? I tried for 15 minutes under the car. Do I need to push them together really hard for them to start to thread together?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
patm
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)Supercharged (148 reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
After you have verified the thread condition with the nut, refer back to Paul & Ted' s articles 5 days ago; the angle is very important. Wiggle the line incrementally & slowly while turning the fitting with your fingers.

Pat in AZ
B-rad
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So, now I'm wondering if I should replace the whole fuel line since it's been idle since 65. I did shoot a half a can if carb cleaner thru it and it seems to be pretty clean. If anyone has an opinion about this, I'd be happy to hear. I'll probably change out the rubber pieces of the line due to age but the remaining parts of the lune should be solid. Think a half a can oc carb cleaner would clean out the line sufficiently?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
paul2748
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you haven't got the line installed, try this.  Loosen the line from all things holding it to the frame. You will be able to move he line around more  and help get the fittings together.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

57RancheroJim
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I may be way off base since I'm not familiar with your year and model but almost all my tanks seem to have a fitting hat goes into the tank the the line goes into the fitting??
B-rad
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

There's a male fitting on the end of the line that screws into the female threads in the tank.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
1/8cavman
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)Supercharged (115 reputation)

If you have a helper, try loosing the tank straps so the tank came be moved- wiggled to a neutral position to get the line taper end seated in the tank and then you might be able to start the nut by hand, of course. A little penetrating oil on the threads and line end may help. If you don't have some one to get under there with you, this too much of a balancing act. Good luck.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Your picture may be deceiving, but it looks like the tank needs to be shifted to the left to align with the line, or the line shifted to the right.  Are your tank support straps in the proper indents of the tank?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter