Profile Picture

Fuel line to tank issue

Posted By B-rad 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)Supercharged (749 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I've been trying to put the tank back into my 54 lincoln but am having trouble connecting the fuel line. I didn't have an issue taking it apart but now it seems like the threads are stripped at the beginning of either the fuel line or tank. It's hard to see either side to know where the problem lies. I can't use a tap or die because the fuel line end is too big for the die to go over and the threads in the tank are not deep enough for the tap to connect right to the threads. I'm thinking about maybe using a dremmel tool to try to correct the threads in the tank but am not sure what tool to use.
My engine and tranny are rebuilt and connected and ready to go in. I just need to finish painting the engine bay and undercoating the tranny tunnel area first. I did scrape everything off the frame and underbody and am spraying undercoating on everything. So surprised to see how perfect everything looks under there. Just old undercoating and very minor surface rust. Just a quick wire brushing takes it off.
Once the engine is ready to install, I'll have to prelube the engine while it's out. Way easier I imagine.
I don't have any electrical in the car anymore so I'll be asking how to get her started and broken in. Then I will be installing a new wire harness. Expect updates.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Fuel line to tank issue By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post I wouldn't use anything like a dremmel tool or any other tool that can... By 57RancheroJim ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post The tank hasn't seen gas since 1965 and I cleaned it out. So I think... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post Is the fitting in the tank and inverted flare? If so, it has a... By paul2748 ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post Another option is to use the same size inverted flair nut without the... By Ted ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post It was suggested to me by a friend of mine that it would behoove me to... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post A "bottom tap" might clean up the first threads of the tank fitting.... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post You may be able to use a thread file on the line side of the fitting.... By panel driver ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post Excellent idea, bottom tap. I didn't know those existed. Thx Isn't the... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post If your line is 5/16 diameter (likely), the thread is 1/2-20. If it... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post If I was to grind the tapered part of the tap off, is there a way to... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post While using a tap seems like a good idea, if it doesn't start... By paul2748 ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post I got a bolt with the correct thread count and it screwed right into... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post After you have verified the thread condition with the nut, refer back... By patm ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post So, now I'm wondering if I should replace the whole fuel line since... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post If you haven't got the line installed, try this. Loosen the line from... By paul2748 ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post I may be way off base since I'm not familiar with your year and model... By 57RancheroJim ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post ... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post If you have a helper, try loosing the tank straps so the tank came... By 1/8cavman ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post Your picture may be deceiving, but it looks like the tank needs to be... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post I removed the tank completely again to check out the threads on the... By B-rad ( 2 Months Ago )
Forum Post Threads on fuel line fitting and in tank are both good. Verified using... By B-rad ( Last Month )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter