Profile Picture

Coil recommendation

Posted By Marc 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 17 minutes ago
Looking for recommendations for a good coil to use with a TSP distributor. 
Also, am I correct in assuming the ballast resistor is not required with this setup?
paul2748
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
What does the info on the distributor literature say ?  .  Does it have a specific OHM reading"  Do they have a tech line you can call ? 
No tech line - I wouldn't buy something like that if they don't have one.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Use a 0.6 ohm coil and a solid 12 volts to the positive side of the coil.  No resistor.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55blacktie
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

I bought a Fast PS50 coil to use with my CRT electronic distributor. It wasn't cheap ($65). I bought it directly from Fast; shipping was free and no sales tax. It was made in Memphis, TN. Although the distributor was made in China, I've not found any negative reviews. On the other hand, I've read a lot of negative reviews for Made-in-China ignition coils. 
Marc
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Paul, the documentation on the TSP website calls for the use of a 35,000+ volt coil, and does not mention a specific ohm rating. I have not called their tech line but I know some folks on here have used them with good results so I'm curious about which coils they prefer. 
Thanks Ted for the advice regarding the ohm rating. 
I've also seen reports of coil failures, mostly oil leaks. $65 is about the ballpark I expected to be in for a decent coil.
KULTULZ
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I've also seen reports of coil failures, mostly oil leaks.

If using an oil filled coil, it needs to be installed standing up (vertical). You need (IMO) either an epoxy filled coil or E-COIL.

Either style will need an internal resistor except the E-COIL.

If this is the same manufacturer, they do make a coil suggestion - https://www.topstreetperformance.com/ford-thunderbird-y-block-v8-mechanical-tach-drive-female-cap-pro-series-ready-to-run-distributor.html

55blacktie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

There have been almost as many opinions regarding epoxy-filled vs oil-filled coils and their mounting position as there are opinions about which brand/type of motor oil to use. The Fast PS50 coil is oil-filled, and I intend to mount it horizontally on the intake manifold, just as Ford intended; I will make sure that the terminals are horizontal, not vertical, as well.
Marc
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I've had my trusty stock oil-filled coil mounted horizontally as long as I've owned the car, and never had a problem. There's always a first time though, and I would suspect the likelihood of having a problem goes up as the quality of parts goes down, which seems to be where the hobby is heading lately.
paul2748
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Same here.  And as far as an internal resistor, most electronic distributors do not require a resistor and work on a full 12 volts.  Check literature on the resistor.

Marc (4/1/2024)
I've had my trusty stock oil-filled coil mounted horizontally as long as I've owned the car, and never had a problem. There's always a first time though, and I would suspect the likelihood of having a problem goes up as the quality of parts goes down, which seems to be where the hobby is heading lately.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

KULTULZ
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The idea of improving performance is the use of newer technology, not being trapped in the fifties/sixties unless the car is a resto.

An oil filled coil will overheat with resultant failure without some type of resistor. That is why one (HI-VOLT) would be mounted vertical (HI-VOLT COIL - not old style points coil) so as not allow the oil fill (as it expands from over heating) to creep out of the case seams (the old points systems did not generate high voltage as we see on modern cars and the coil had an external resistor). An epoxy filled coil can be mounted in any position but will require some type of a resistor to prevent overheating (the DIST IGN MODULE or remote INGITION CONTROL MODULE may or may not - that's why they include instruction sheets). An E-COIL should not require an external resistor. Read the INSTRUCTION SHEET.

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/three-common-misconceptions-about-ignition-coil-upgrades/

The last thing I would personally do is buy a CHI-COM DIST that offers no matching or recommended coil.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter