Coil recommendation

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic166147.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Marc - 2 Months Ago
Looking for recommendations for a good coil to use with a TSP distributor. 
Also, am I correct in assuming the ballast resistor is not required with this setup?
By paul2748 - 2 Months Ago
What does the info on the distributor literature say ?  .  Does it have a specific OHM reading"  Do they have a tech line you can call ? 
No tech line - I wouldn't buy something like that if they don't have one.

By Ted - 2 Months Ago
Use a 0.6 ohm coil and a solid 12 volts to the positive side of the coil.  No resistor.
By 55blacktie - 2 Months Ago
I bought a Fast PS50 coil to use with my CRT electronic distributor. It wasn't cheap ($65). I bought it directly from Fast; shipping was free and no sales tax. It was made in Memphis, TN. Although the distributor was made in China, I've not found any negative reviews. On the other hand, I've read a lot of negative reviews for Made-in-China ignition coils. 
By Marc - Last Month
Paul, the documentation on the TSP website calls for the use of a 35,000+ volt coil, and does not mention a specific ohm rating. I have not called their tech line but I know some folks on here have used them with good results so I'm curious about which coils they prefer. 
Thanks Ted for the advice regarding the ohm rating. 
I've also seen reports of coil failures, mostly oil leaks. $65 is about the ballpark I expected to be in for a decent coil.
By KULTULZ - Last Month
I've also seen reports of coil failures, mostly oil leaks.

If using an oil filled coil, it needs to be installed standing up (vertical). You need (IMO) either an epoxy filled coil or E-COIL.

Either style will need an internal resistor except the E-COIL.

If this is the same manufacturer, they do make a coil suggestion - https://www.topstreetperformance.com/ford-thunderbird-y-block-v8-mechanical-tach-drive-female-cap-pro-series-ready-to-run-distributor.html
By 55blacktie - Last Month
There have been almost as many opinions regarding epoxy-filled vs oil-filled coils and their mounting position as there are opinions about which brand/type of motor oil to use. The Fast PS50 coil is oil-filled, and I intend to mount it horizontally on the intake manifold, just as Ford intended; I will make sure that the terminals are horizontal, not vertical, as well.
By Marc - Last Month
I've had my trusty stock oil-filled coil mounted horizontally as long as I've owned the car, and never had a problem. There's always a first time though, and I would suspect the likelihood of having a problem goes up as the quality of parts goes down, which seems to be where the hobby is heading lately.
By paul2748 - Last Month
Same here.  And as far as an internal resistor, most electronic distributors do not require a resistor and work on a full 12 volts.  Check literature on the resistor.

Marc (4/1/2024)
I've had my trusty stock oil-filled coil mounted horizontally as long as I've owned the car, and never had a problem. There's always a first time though, and I would suspect the likelihood of having a problem goes up as the quality of parts goes down, which seems to be where the hobby is heading lately.

By KULTULZ - Last Month
The idea of improving performance is the use of newer technology, not being trapped in the fifties/sixties unless the car is a resto.

An oil filled coil will overheat with resultant failure without some type of resistor. That is why one (HI-VOLT) would be mounted vertical (HI-VOLT COIL - not old style points coil) so as not allow the oil fill (as it expands from over heating) to creep out of the case seams (the old points systems did not generate high voltage as we see on modern cars and the coil had an external resistor). An epoxy filled coil can be mounted in any position but will require some type of a resistor to prevent overheating (the DIST IGN MODULE or remote INGITION CONTROL MODULE may or may not - that's why they include instruction sheets). An E-COIL should not require an external resistor. Read the INSTRUCTION SHEET.

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/three-common-misconceptions-about-ignition-coil-upgrades/

The last thing I would personally do is buy a CHI-COM DIST that offers no matching or recommended coil.
By all means, read the instruction sheet for your TSP/CRT or any other electronic distributor. I think you'll find that the instructions state not to use a coil resistor with a 0.6 ohm coil as Ted stated. The Pertronix l Ignitor requires a 1.5 ohm coil and a ballast resistor. In either case, there is no recommendation for either oil-filled or epoxy coil.
By KULTULZ - Last Month
... i know i am going to regret this ...

PREVIOUS QUOTE -

"I think you'll find that the instructions state not to use a coil resistor with a 0.6 ohm coil as Ted stated. The Pertronix l Ignitor requires a 1.5 ohm coil and a ballast resistor. In either case, there is no recommendation for either oil-filled or epoxy coil."

INTERNAL COIL RESISTANCE is being described, not external supply voltage - 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/05a3607d-c2af-4ae0-b8d9-c13b.gif        

The PERTRONIX 40111 Coil Is Epoxy Filled
https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-40111-flame-thrower-coil-40-000-volt-1-5-ohm-black-epoxy
By paul2748 - Last Month
The Pertronix II does not require a resistor.  I don't know what coil ohm rating they require.  I used their coil so I didn't have to worry about that.  Not sure on the Pertronix III if a resistor is required.  I have my coil laying down.
Pertronix ll & lll Ignitors, TSP/CRT, and other electronic distributors do not use a ballast resistor and require a coil that's rated less than one ohm for V8 applications. If the coil you're considering is rated 0.4-0.6 (doesn't have to be exactly 0.6), you should be good to go. 

As Ted stated, a full 12v needed when eliminating the ballast resistor. 

Again, all of this information, with the exception of whether to use an oil-filled or epoxy-filled coil, should be found in the instructions for the Pertronix Ignitors or any aftermarket electronic distributor.
By Marc - Last Month
... i know i am going to regret this ...

Laugh
The thing showed up today, and the paperwork says....

Surprisingly little. 
Just an admonition to use a "high output coil", and a few advance charts depending on what springs you use. Checked the box a couple of times to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Their office is closed now so I left them a little love note to ask what they recommend. We'll see what they come back with. 
Marc, look up your distributor on TSP's website. You'll find that it requires a full 12v, and the ballast resistor should be bypassed. If you look at the diagram, you'll find two numbers for their coils, the difference of which is that one has male terminals, the other female. I looked up part no. JM6928R, which just happens to be sold by Summit. It's rated 45,000 volts (high output), and the primary resistance is 0.700 ohms. 

I guess I must have more free time than you, being retired for 12 years. 
By Marc - Last Month
Thanks 55. Took me a while to find the diagram you're referring to on their site. I was looking at the distributor info they had under the "ignition" tab, and that wasn't there. 
Glad you're using your free time wisely! 
By Saltshaker - Last Month
Can anyone tell me exactly why a resistor is used in a Kettering (points) ignition system?
The voltage system puts out too much power for the coil and points, thereby resulting in premature wear and failure of the coil and points, if a ballast resistor isn't used. 
By FORD DEARBORN - Last Month
Saltshaker, besides being too much current through the coil and points as stated above with 12 volts, there is one other aspect of the 12 volt design. The coil is actually designed to function on aprox. 6 volts so when the resistor is bypassed while the engine is being cranked, the coil will still have close to it's designed full voltage.`When the key is released to the run position, the resistor is back into the circuit thus reducing the current through the primary ignition circuit once again.