Profile Picture

Having Trouble with Oil Leaks from Rocker Covers

Posted By oldcarmark Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
... I'm wondering if the Rocker covers purchased from Speedway were made under the same circumstances as the poor performing Offy  Tri- Power intake that Ted Eaton tested,  along with 6 others quite some time back?.. Long story short, the Intakes were not made by the original Fred Offenhauser's company, but by  a nephews company of the same  last name.  A law suite resulted. many years ago,  but  a Judges bad ruling in the case did not really resolve the issue.. Recently, an out fit in Canada popped up advertising new Offy parts.. So ??..

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ted (6/30/2023)

If the oil system is modified to increase the amount of oil to the top end of the engine, then the potential for the oil to be above the cylinder head valve cover rail is greatly increased.  I find it necessary to install restrictors with a 0.078” orifice at each rocker arm assembly to control the amount of oil that gets to the cylinder heads when making modifications to increase the oil flow around the center cam bearing.

miker (6/26/2023)

I glue the gaskets to all the cast aluminum covers I’ve used. Then use a little grease on the head side. Stops them from slipping, and seals but let’s them release to set the valve. I think Ted has something on that, hope he’ll chime in.

1946international (11/24/2023)

Have these covers ever not leaked? are they new? Are they aftermarket, I don't know if there are any aftermarket T-bird valve covers. 

This may or may not help but I'm running a set of Offenhauser cast valve covers that I bought new from Speedway and they leaked, both of them. I checked the gasket surface and found it was not flat, I set them up in a mill and ran around the gasket area to make it flat and no more leak.

ALL of the above ...

I would be concerned if the rocker cover decks are square and also the cover rails on the heads.

And IF the covers are OEM or import copies.

Think rifle brushes when clearing/cleaning orifices.

1946international
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Have these covers ever not leaked? are they new? Are they aftermarket, I don't know if there are any aftermarket T-bird valve covers. 
This may or may not help but I'm running a set of Offenhauser cast valve covers that I bought new from Speedway and they leaked, both of them. I checked the gasket surface and found it was not flat, I set them up in a mill and ran around the gasket area to make it flat and no more leak.   

Kingfisher
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have had similar trouble. I took both (aluminum) valve covers off last week and checked the oil flow at idle. It was comforting to see a good flow at all rockers and out of the overflow tube. I installed neoprene Best Gaskets. RTV to the covers, gaskets taped into place and left to cure overnight. Then a small smear of non hardening goo to the other side. Tightened lightly, no leaks!
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
If the oil system is modified to increase the amount of oil to the top end of the engine, then the potential for the oil to be above the cylinder head valve cover rail is greatly increased.  I find it necessary to install restrictors with a 0.078” orifice at each rocker arm assembly to control the amount of oil that gets to the cylinder heads when making modifications to increase the oil flow around the center cam bearing.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Tim McMaster has a YouTube of an engine running with the rocker arm shaft overflow tubes blocked. It shows how much oil the drains in the heads to the valley can take. Sounds like something else is the cause…

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Hi Joe. I just took it apart again. Using a piece of Coat Hanger Wire I was able to get in about 7 inch's. Seemed very narrow about half way. Just big enough to get Coat hanger through. It was I think plugged up until I worked the Wire through. Is there a very tight Area normally? Feels like part of the Head Casting maybe. Going to go for a Drive later and see if there is Oil drip in AM. Thanks

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Joe-JDC
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Those end holes at both ends of the head go into the lifter valley if you have a long enough tool.  The holes are huge in terms of oil drain back area, and should be able to drain the area easily.  There could be an umbrella seal piece lodged deeper down where the head gasket mates to the block.  If you push it in, you will need to remove the intake, valley cover, and clean out the debris so that it doesn't clog the oil pick-up screen or worse get sucked into the oil pump and stop the rotors.  If you have a scribe with the 90* end you might be able to retrieve the blockage if that is the case.  Just some ideas.  Joe-JDC

JDC
oldcarmark
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Its just the One on the Left Side. Dripping down the side of the Head below the Cover..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Robs36Ford
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It's odd that both covers are leaking. Is it possible they have pinholes in the casting ?
What is the head valve cover gasket surface like at the back edge ? is it rough ? missing some ? big bumps ?

1936 Ford 3W Coupe : 56 T-Bird 312, 47 Packard 3 speed, 40 juice brakes.
1968 Merc Cyclone FB GT 390, Getting a better front clip!
1977 Ford F-250 Supercab RWD Explorer Long box.
1976 Chev Camaro RS LT
Future rebuild : 1949 Ford F-1

Reading This Topic

Site Meter