Profile Picture

Having Trouble with Oil Leaks from Rocker Covers

Posted By oldcarmark Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I have the Cast T-Bird Rocker Covers. Changed the Gaskets. Still getting Oil Drips from lower Rear Corner of the Covers. Are there some Gaskets preferred over others?  Are "Best" Gaskets better than others? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I've had excellent results with the one and only pair of thick neoprene gaskets purchased from Mummery many years ago. I'm using them on the old style steel covers, if that makes any difference. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
As usual I didn't completely read the initial post.

If the covers have been overtightened you can use a ballpeen hammer and a socket to pop them back out. Also make sure the gasket surfaces are flat and clean. Some of the older covers are very bent from use.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Robs36Ford
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Sadly no is making he neoprene gaskets. They really worked best.
Cast valve covers are rigid and if not true/flat to the head surface then it may seep. It is also possible the head is not true also as machining there is minimal. I use Permatex Grey on both sides of the cork composite gaskets from anyone and never have a leak! It is non hardening and thick so you can remove the covers for services and re-apply after washing.

1936 Ford 3W Coupe : 56 T-Bird 312, 47 Packard 3 speed, 40 juice brakes.
1968 Merc Cyclone FB GT 390, Getting a better front clip!
1977 Ford F-250 Supercab RWD Explorer Long box.
1976 Chev Camaro RS LT
Future rebuild : 1949 Ford F-1

miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 13 minutes ago
Deleted

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 13 minutes ago
I glue the gaskets to all the cast aluminum covers I’ve used. Then use a little grease on the head side. Stops them from slipping, and seals but let’s them release to set the valve. I think Ted has something on that, hope he’ll chime in.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Daniel Jessup
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
FWIW, this is the way I do my Thunderbird aluminum valve covers and over the past two years I have been very satisfied. I use pretty much the same method as Miker.
The link to the pictures and the article is here:
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/1955-ford-part-111-valve-cover-restoration

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
The Best Gasket full set of gaskets includes two different pair of cork gaskets for the Y.  The thin set with the tabs is for the 1960 and newer tin covers while the thicker set without tabs are for the both 1954 thru 1959 steel covers and the aluminum Thunderbird finned covers.  I have no leakage issues when using the thick gaskets on the aluminum covers.  I will glue the gaskets to the covers using small dabs of ‘black’ 3M trim cement and then a thin film of white grease on the surface that contacts the head rail so the gaskets don’t stick to the head.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
Anyone use Gasgacinch?  I wish this question was posed a week ago, because that's when I ordered Gasgacinch.  

oldcarmark
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Thanks Ted. I didn't know the early Gaskets are thicker than the later Ones. I pulled the Covers and blew out the drain holes. See if that helps. Oil shouldn't get high enough on top of Heads to cause leakage. I did find some small Pieces of old Cover Grommet around the Drain back Holes so maybe some got down inside the Head. Take it for a long Drive and see if it still drips.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter