Profile Picture

Synthetic oil in a Y Block

Posted By slumlord444 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
The subject has been discussed numerous times but a recent Hot Rod Magazine article has prompted me to bring it up.  A switch from conventional to synthetic oil picked up 15 horsepower on the dyno. A local reputable engine builder confirms this. According to a previous post Ted does not recommend synthetic. It’s my understanding that Mobile recommends 10w40 High Mileage for flat tappet cams. I used Valvolene VR1 for break in and after break in with no problems. Picking up 15 horsepower by switching oil appeals to me but not at the risk of destroying a cam.  Opinions please and actual experience please.  I ran Mobile one in a previous build of the same engine for a while with no problems but I’m overly cautious about damaging the build. It runs too good to mess it up. 
Joe-JDC
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
As a contestant or team member in four EMC challenges with my own engines, I did not find more than 6 or 7 horsepower difference with my 375Y, and about the same with the 303Y.  I changed AmsOil 30W break-in oil for 10W-30 synthetic, and did approximately 70 dyno pulls with no issues with bearings, or rings, etc.  We made 595hp on Ted's dyno, and changed to 5W-20 AmsOil synthetic and did not pick up any hp.  On the rebuild, we made 613hp with the 375Y and I used the 30W break-in oil again, and changed to 10W-30 full synthetic, for no change in horsepower.  At EMC when changing to 5W-20, there was no measurable difference over the 10W-30.  We made 12 or 13 full dyno pulls in 25 minutes, and had no issues with the AmsOil.  I have 10W-30 AmsOil synthetic in my '55 Thunderbird with 345Y and so far it has been flawless in performance.   I can't speak for any other brand of oil, but the AmsOil does work for me.  Joe-JDC

JDC
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Which AmsOil did you use? There are several types.  
Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

Not sure about Joe, but I'm running the Amsoil Z-Rod 10W30 for a couple of years now and it seems to be fine.  I don't have any scientific data on my end, though.  The Z rod is supposed to be high in zinc.
PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I don't have any scientific info on synthetics, however on older engines, apparently they  tend to aggravate leak issues..

Paul
PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month

Paul
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ran Mobile1 with no worse issues with leaks a long time ago.Mobile1 10w40 high mileage is supposed to have high zinc and be recommended by Mobile for flat tappet cams but I thought I saw on a post somewhere that Ted had a problem with it.  
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: 4 days ago
I'm not having much luck trying to remember exactly why Ted doesn't use/recommend synthetic oil. I think he said something about the lifters not rotating when using synthetic, but don't quote me. I'm sure Ted will revisit this upon reading the posts. More recently, I asked Ted about using  Valvoline 10w-40 ATV/UTV conventional oil, which has 1020 ppm zinc/930 ppm phosphorus.He said he wasn't familiar with it, but there is more to motor oil than zinc and phosphorus content. By the way, the Valvoline 10w-40 conventional 4-Stroke Motorcycle oil has 1120 ppm zinc/1030 ppm phosphorus.     
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
See if some of these links to past threads help.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost163955.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost151780.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost101544.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted. Found the part where you said not to ever use synthetic in a Y Block. You definitely know more about Y Blocks than anyone  so I’m going with your opinion. I was hoping to pick up a few horsepower by switching oil. It’s not worth taking the chance of damaging the engine. I’ll continue using Valvoline VR1 Racing oil. I may switch from 20w50 to 10w40 or 10w30. Should could lower resistance and pick up a little bit of power. I appreciate all the input. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter