Profile Picture

Synthetic oil in a Y Block

Posted By slumlord444 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
The subject has been discussed numerous times but a recent Hot Rod Magazine article has prompted me to bring it up.  A switch from conventional to synthetic oil picked up 15 horsepower on the dyno. A local reputable engine builder confirms this. According to a previous post Ted does not recommend synthetic. It’s my understanding that Mobile recommends 10w40 High Mileage for flat tappet cams. I used Valvolene VR1 for break in and after break in with no problems. Picking up 15 horsepower by switching oil appeals to me but not at the risk of destroying a cam.  Opinions please and actual experience please.  I ran Mobile one in a previous build of the same engine for a while with no problems but I’m overly cautious about damaging the build. It runs too good to mess it up. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter