Profile Picture

oil

Posted By stuey Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
55blacktie (3/25/2023)
Ted, do you recommend using something lighter than 40 or 50 wt. with metric rings?

For the Ford Y, I typically recommend using a conventional grade oil with at least “30” in the viscosity rating (i.e.: 5W-30,10W-30, 10W-40, etc.  Nothing less than “30”as the shear property of the oil is reduced thus inhibiting the oil’s ability to help the lifter to rotate.  The viscosity of the oil must be selected based on the various bearing clearances rather than on what rings are being used on the pistons.  Zero issues in regard to the oil viscosity with metric rings as long as the cylinder wall finish is correct for the particular rings that are being used.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
DANIEL TINDER (3/25/2023)
Ted (3/24/2023)
My experience is if the camshaft survives the first 90 seconds of running, it’s good for the long haul.  It does take up to 20 minutes of running sometimes to get enough wear on a camshaft to let you know there is problem though but rest assured that those problems started at the first crank of the engine and not sometime later.

So, is the routine 20 min./higher-rpm break-in run then done largely in order to ensure that any problem is recognized while in the shop (as opposed to out on the road), thus preventing subsequent collateral engine damage? Maybe that routine was developed due to a past period of poor quality component parts availability (and improper lubricant choices)?

That 20 minutes of run time at a higher than idle rpm helps to ‘burnish’ the cam lobe / lifter interface thus helping to seat the lifter to the lobe for the long haul.  The higher than idle rpm during the break-in process ensures that adequate oil is being thrown on the camshaft.  If there is a wear problem occurring, it typically takes twenty minutes for that to be noticed and/or be a measurable amount.  Rest assured that if the camshaft fails during the camshaft break-in period the engine oil being may not the culprit with the wear issue originating with something mechanical like inadequate lifter to bore clearance.  Here’s a link to a more complete list of items contributing to camshaft wear issues.

Camshaft and Lifter Failure Causes – Eaton Balancing

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Bobby O 55
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
           HI, I've been noticing guys using different oils in their cars. What is wrong with Shell Rotella 15w40. I remember a few years back everyone was using it. I still do. What has changed? Thanks.
2721955meteor
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I have the same info,verry good info. when I was working the co had oil forsale at a discount. the shell desel oil had a statement, do not use in flat tappet gas engines as will cause  came failure
Bobby O 55
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
                                Are you still using Shell Rotella 15w40 or something else?
Brent
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
There is a lot of scientific data here:

ZDDP Industry Tech Information for Oil Additives & Cam Lube from ZPlus (zddplus.com)

ZDDP

I chose to use ZDDP plus mixed with standard Valvoline 10-40. My current thinking is to reduce the ZDDP content at the 500 mi mark per comments Ted has made re to much of a good thing. 

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5ee2950b-da9f-4796-ad18-e428.png

Reading This Topic

Site Meter