Profile Picture

PCV baffle configuration

Posted By Kingfisher Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
Let us know how it idles with that pcv valve. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's more to consider than size when it comes to pcv valves. The wrong pcv could cause vacuum issues that can affect idle quality. Hopefully, Ted has a recommendation.
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
IIRC, DryLakesRacer had a post on measuring vacuum at the oil fill tube as part of PVC installation. And Greenbird56 had a post some years ago about fitting a restriction in the hose. Maybe those will surface again. They could also have been on another site, the Barn or the HAMB.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
If the oil filler tube or a breather in hole in a valve cover will not hold a piece of paper, I use a corner off of a blue paper shop towel, it probably not enough or you have another vacuum leak. Even you newer car engine should do this.  Years ago I read an engineering report pertaining to PVC systems designed in the early 60’s that the vacuum on the crankcase should be between 1 and 3 inches of vacuum. 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ca869749-628a-4a20-ad0c-9d8.jpeg

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Kingfisher
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Well I'm pleased to report that it idles and accelerates well with just very light suction on the filler tube with a piece of paper. I'm extra pleased that it actually starts!! considering that I've just this morning completed a total rewire. The pcv was a welcome distraction when I got sick of laying on my back working under the dash.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
55blacktie (6/1/2023)
..... The wrong pcv could cause vacuum issues that can affect idle quality. Hopefully, Ted has a recommendation.

As a general rule, just pick out a PCV valve that’s used in a similar cubic inch engine.  For the Y, PCV valves used in the 289/302 SBF engines will get the job done.  I use the Microgard PCV 2322 in most Y applications.  Here’s a link to a past thread giving some more detail.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost162636.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

I am wondering if just attaching a flat piece of metal while leaving the sides open will work just as well?
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
55blacktie (6/2/2023)
I am wondering if just attaching a flat piece of metal while leaving the sides open will work just as well?

Any baffle that will prevent a direct flow of oil to the PCV valve will be adequate.  Many of the aftermarket valve covers for all makes of engines did nothing more than a flat plate under the valve and/or oil fill cap to stop any oil from reaching those openings.  My ’55 Customline received it’s PCV valve in 1989 and it’s nothing but a hole drilled in the original valley cover with a grommet installed to hold the PCV valve.  No baffle and no oil consumption so if the valve is in a location that does not get a spray of oil, then no baffle is required.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
I use baffled grommets

Lawrenceville, GA
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks! That simplifies things. I just want to make sure that once done, it won't have to be addressed again. 
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Next time you are under the dash just pull the front seat out. 4 bolts and its out of the way.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter