Profile Picture

Valve lash is not holding steady

Posted By Brent Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Valve lash is not holding steady after first few runs:

First run: lash opened .006 Second run: the same thing. Third run: I adjusted lash again at .020 cold and then ran the engine for 5 seconds. The lash has opened up again, this time after just a few seconds. I think that if there is something failing at this fast of a pace it would be gone/done already.

The threaded adjusters measure .4360 on the OD of the threads, the ECG rocker ID measures .4395 on the groove. That is a .0035 difference without the depth of the grooves added.

I found two postings that both mention either damaging the threads or using oversized adjusters. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Rocker adj nuts
Loose rocker adjusting screws. - 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum

Harland Sharp makes these screws but I'm not sure they will fit, threads are +.004 wider and the ball is +.0125 
wider, If the 1.200 is the length of just the threads seems like they should be a tighter fit: 7/16 - 20 x 1.200, 3/8 Ball, Ford FE 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6271b929-36a9-4e4b-bd6a-ac6b.jpg

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5ee2950b-da9f-4796-ad18-e428.png

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Valve lash is not holding steady By Brent ( Last Year )
Forum Post Look at the ball and the wear pattern. I suspect you have a pushrod... By famdoc3 ( Last Year )
Forum Post The wear mark on the ball is pretty small on the tip and it's football... By Brent ( Last Year )
Forum Post I would give Smith Brothers or Manton a call. I’ve worked with both... By DryLakesRacer ( Last Year )
Forum Post I'm assuming good oil flow at the rockers. I’ll suggest ‘bluing’... By Ted ( Last Year )
Forum Post HAVE YOU REMOVED THE SPILL TUBES,AND BLOCKED THE HOLE IN THE STAND.IF... By 2721955meteor ( Last Year )
Forum Post From the pictures you have posted, your ball end of the adjuster is... By Daniel Jessup ( Last Year )
Forum Post The supplier told me that the problem is that the cup is not machined... By Brent ( Last Year )
Forum Post I’m assuming the Smith Brothers push rods have cups that accept a 3/8”... By DryLakesRacer ( Last Year )
Forum Post The new adjusters arrived: 3/8” ball x 7/16-20 “oversized” (these fit... By Brent ( Last Year )
Forum Post There’s no need to remove the cotter pins from the shafts to install... By Ted ( Last Year )
Forum Post The #5 exhaust pushrod will not clear the rocker arm, it's only a... By Brent ( Last Year )
Forum Post If you loosen the rocker hold down bolts and nuts, there may be enough... By charliemccraney ( Last Year )
Forum Post Is there any reason not to remove the cotter pins and then wiggle the... By Brent ( Last Year )
Forum Post Removing the cotter pins should work, too. Do it however you are the... By charliemccraney ( Last Year )
Forum Post I installed the new pushrods and adjusters; pulling the cotter pins at... By Brent ( Last Year )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter