Profile Picture

Original engine or replace

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
After tearing my 317 Lincoln y block down, I'm trying to find out if my car would lose a ton of value if I didn't keep the original engine. The block and heads are in good condition but it needs to be bored out and finding oversized pistons or the next size up, the 341 pistons is proving difficult. I was considering building a 302 or 351 and put it in but wanted to keep it original. Kinda thinking about all options at this point. Don't want a race car but dependable cruiser. I appreciate the advice

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Cliff
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Pistons are easy, call Diamond, JE, Eggie Machine, Arias, Racetec all should be able to make what you want.
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Egge just got back to me with a quote of $1700 plus $122 for rings. I'm sure they don't ship for free too. Online, je doesn't have lincoln pistons .
Plus this engine has been sitting for 57 years so I have no idea what still works and what doesn't. In process of cleaning parts up and figuring out how to test them.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 59 minutes ago
In general, an original vehicle is worth more than custom.  It's hard to say by how much an engine swap might affect the value.  If it is done well, maybe not too much but if cobbled together without much thought, probably a lot since it raises other questions to a savvy buyer.

Many of those piston manufacturers probably will not have a listing.  You will probably need to inquire about custom pistons.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Replacing an engine may make your car can make it more desirable in the long run. Your 4 door will never ever have the value of a hard top or convertible. Personally a 58-76 352 would be my choice even though they are not as prevalent as they once were a long with a cruise-o-matic.  Parts are available much easier than your Lincoln. A 351 can be bought as a replacement but you need to know everything before you buy because of transmission fitment along with an oil pan and front accessories. A donor car always helps but you may not want that.. If your wanting to stay Lincoln, a 4.6 from late one or a Crown Vic along with all the computer parts would make a great swap. 
You sounds as if your looking for an option but we also need your skills and what your seeing as a dollar figure. Today there are GM LS engines and transmissions in everything including 60’s Continental’s here in SoCal that just leave their hood down. There are shops that specialize in putting them in and I’m sure Az has them too. Good luck 
ps: you can buy 3 LS engines for $1700 and 2 with transmissions. I know a 4.6 equipped Lincoln or Crown Vic car would be 1700 running. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Anyone who would put an LS engine in a Y block car should be banned from this site forever.  Never install an engine from a brand x vehicle into a Ford.  I would rather walk.   This IS a Y-Block forum.   Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

$1822 for what, I'm assuming, are old-school cast pistons and iron rings, is unconscionable. Although you can't find a listing for pistons online, try contacting the manufacturers that make custom-order pistons. 
I agree, with few exceptions, that a 4-door will be worth considerably less than either a 2-door hardtop or convertible. Unless your car has sentimental value, and you have deep pockets, I would pass. It will cost as much/more to restore your car as one that would be worth considerably more when finished. Even so, most restorers end up investing considerably more than what they are able to get when they want/need to sell.  
Cliff
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

https://houston.craigslist.org/pts/d/houston-1954-lincoln-317-block-engine/7504129700.html
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I really wanted to redo the motor and keep it original since it came with factory air. The compressor looks like an old Harley engine and it seems to still work. The car has 68k miles, all brightwork is there any in really good condition. The interior is shot but has power windows and seat. Glass is good. Wanted a project and since this car has no rust at all and 99% complete, it seems like a good starter.
I know this is a y block forum and I've gotten a lot of good info from a lot of people on here. The thought of someone not using the original motor would put some people off the rails, and I totally understand. But if this car isn't really a highly sought after car, it may be worth it to use a more easily buildable motor.
I wanted to try to rebuild the car as much by myself with not a lot of experience.
The good thing is that I have the interior totally gutted, the engine out and apart and I haven't had an issue removing a screw, nut or bolt. Rebuilding the steering and suspension rubber and bearings might just be fairly easy considering the easy of removing parts so far.
I still have to figure out the motor. Not an easy decision

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
62bigwindow
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I think you just answered your question. Original in my opinion is the only way. It retains the character and value. The small block Ford swap is getting just as boring as the scrub or LS. The money you spend on retrofitting a different engine can be applied to rebuilding the original engine. Ted is the man to get in touch with and discuss your options on a rebuild.

Durham Missouri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter