Profile Picture

Original engine or replace

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
Your right, it’s not an easy decision. Or an easy vehicle. As I mentioned on another site, I’ve got a soft spot for those Lincoln’s. The first car I really remember is Dad’s 54 Capri. Same color combination IIRC.

Even a rust free, dry area, old low mileage car needs a lot of work. Not difficult, but you’ll spend more time finding parts than most do. Ball joints and brakes I think are more difficult. All the rubber parts, hoses, brake lines, and more . So there’s a lot in front of you.

I’ve done a number of engine swaps. The easy part is having the new FE, or 351, and transmission on the stand. The hard part is the motor mounts, pan clearance, exhaust manifolds, rear crossmember, etc. Your’s has a hydramatic IIRC. The rebuild of it and adaptors for another engine means new transmission to go with the new engine. More items.

So I think if the block and heads pass all the checks-boils out clean, mag check, sonic check, not badly warped for decking, minimal line bore, etc. rebuild what you’ve got. The parts will be more expensive and harder to come by. But then it’s a bolt up operation. Oil pumps, distributor, intake adapter are minor items. And you’ll know most of your cost going in.

But even at $0.10 an hour for your time, don’t plan on making a profit.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I hear you Mike. Just don't feel right paying almost 2000 for pistons and rings. I probably will rebuild it since you brought up the other issues present with a swap. I just don't know how to test any of the other parts. I tried to test the starter and it just sparked. I was using an ATV battery and maybe it just didn't have the oomph to turn it. it's parts like the oil pump and fuel pump, power brake master cylinder, power steering pump. I have no idea how to test them for functionality. I suppose I could just get rebuild kits for everything and just rebuild them. That way I know they're good.
This is supposed to be a five year project for my wife. Yes, she gave me permission to take on this project. She wants it to look like a 54 scruby she saw, yellow with green roof. I think it'll look really cool.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
B-rad (7/5/2022)
After tearing my 317 Lincoln y block down, I'm trying to find out if my car would lose a ton of value if I didn't keep the original engine. The block and heads are in good condition but it needs to be bored out and finding oversized pistons or the next size up, the 341 pistons is proving difficult. I was considering building a 302 or 351 and put it in but wanted to keep it original. Kinda thinking about all options at this point. Don't want a race car but dependable cruiser. I appreciate the advice.

Engine Swapping:
While it sounds relatively easy to just change to a different engine family, it does tend to be more involved than that.  In most cases that will also involve changing the transmission and that in itself becomes a domino effect in making other changes.  Some of those changes will include a different or relocated transmission mount, the drive shaft length, transmission yoke, shifter changes, potential tunnel modifications, and the speedometer cable being adapted to the newer transmission.  Let’s not forget that the engine may require different engine mounts on the frame and a radiator that must be replaced and/or modified to work with the new combination.  A new exhaust system is also added to the list.

Custom Piston ordering:
I use Wiseco, JE Pistons, and Diamond for most of my custom piston requirements.  These three piston manufacturers are all owned by Race Winning Brands (RWB) and their pricing is similar.  I typically figure about $110 each for custom pistons but piston ring pricing will vary depending upon their widths and the materials from which they are made.  When ordering custom pistons, I typically have them made to accommodate metric rings as both the performance and efficiency of the engine is improved with their use.  Most of my rings come from Total Seal and there are several options on the ring widths and ring materials and it’s those differences that will dictate the pricing.  Most metric ring sets for the Ford Y engines I assemble vary in price anywhere from $125 with shipping up to $290 per set.  The pricing variances are dictated strictly by the sizing/design of the rings I order.  Some bore sizes have more options than others so that’s also a consideration.

When ordering pistons, you will need to first order the rings so that the pistons can be made to accommodate that particular set of rings.  Here’s the link to a discussion started on this site regarding ordering custom pistons.

Custom ordering pistons (y-blocksforever.com) 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 46 minutes ago
Out of curiosity, I looked for 1954 Lincolns for sale. I found a very nice Lincoln Capri 2-door hardtop, coral/w white top, for less than $15,000. The car is in Sunnyvale, CA. If you did not already know, this will give you some idea what the value of your 4-door will be when you're finished.
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
..You say it's a low mileage car.. Are you positive it needs a re bore?. As for changing the engine, Ted has gone over that scenario.. As to value of the car, Blacktie has touched on a 2 Dr. H.Top & that price in likely in the Ball park, for a #3+ or #2 car.. Further, "Old Cars Report" price guide from about 5 yrs ago lists a 4 Dr. Capri as (based on #1- to #6 conditions)  & I'll put your car as a #3 at about $ 9500 U.S. (some inflation adjustment needed ?) If you really like the car & aren't looking at it as a profitable adventure, because it isn't,  go ahead, but I wouldn't change the 317" engine. That's the engine that got them some considerable fame in the Pan American Road Races..   

Paul
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

N.B.- Re the price of Piston's, sounds somewhat high, but does that  price include Wrist pins ?  If it does, maybe it's not to far out of line?..

Paul
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
PF Arcand (8/3/2022)
N.B.- Re the price of piston's, sounds somewhat high, but does that price include wrist pins?  If it does, maybe it's not too far out of line?.

Paul.  Are you referring to what I posted?  If so, then that pricing does include the wrist pins and being fitted to the piston pin bores.  That pricing does not vary much even when adding other options such as gas porting, offset wrist pins, adding valve reliefs, different wrist pin lock options, domes or dishes in the piston tops, varying ring widths, changes in compression height, etc.  Due to the multitude of bore sizes, it’s rare on my end to order the same exact same custom piston set twice.  Considering that many of the older replacement pistons are becoming increasingly more obsolete, custom pistons are a very viable option even though pricing might be tough on some of the ‘old school’ budgets.

Of interesting note was a problem recently in receiving pistons due to a wrist pin shortage.  That shortage was driven by a material shortage, so wrist pin production concentrated on the more popular movers such as those with 0.866”, 0.927”, and 0.990” diameters.  The 0.915” and 0.975” diameters took a back seat to being made and for Y’s using stock rods, I do use the 0.915” diameter wrist pins.  The stroker engines use the 0.866” and 0.927” pins so no piston delivery issues were encountered with those.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted:  No, I was referring to the price quote to Brad from Egge of $1700 + rings.. I should have been more clear about that.. 

Paul
Richard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

I’m of the mind that value of a hobby is irrelevant.  I always hear these statements by so called authorities of the value of a so called collector car. 
When the rubber meets the road our cars are nothing more then a hobby. If you fly radio controlled models that you either buy or build it’s the reward of showing and flying your airship with a transmitter, if you crash you pick up the pieces and go again either buy or build.  When you buy a boat, you go into it to use the boat, to sail, or fish, or wake board, or just cruise;, maintenance, dock fees are high, but you love it, so you do it.  Some say boating is pouring money into a waterhole, but you do it anyway. When you go racing, you go to win, you pick your class and go for it, tires oil, fuel, transporting a race car, your in it full andyou love it.ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY OR SOMEONES PERCEIVED  VALUE, ITS ABOUT THE SPIRT OF WHAT YOU BUILD, HOW YOU BUILD AND HOW MUCH ENJOYMENT YOU GET FROM YOUR BUILD.
All this other verbiage on affecting value is moot, at least in my mind.  Do something cool and to the best of your ability then enjoy the rewards of what you have accomplished. Meet like minded people to share information and appreciation 
Richard
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Most will never get the $$$’s out them for what was spent. I sure won’t but I’m enjoying it every weekend at minimum since I live in SoCal. Even doing a lot of work myself the upgrades I wanted in a restored car has made it way better to drive let alone the safety factor. Even the vision of my racing took time because of costs and the lack of the overtime at work I used to do it. Sometimes you just need to find a way. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter