Profile Picture

Tremec T-5 install in Thunderbird

Posted By Joe-JDC 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Certain Mustang cables will also work.  Just be sure you get the transmission end that fits the gear that is held on by the clip (there are two types).  When I went to a C4 in my 56 Bird, I got an aftermarket angle drive (1-1)  to solve the clearance issue but that required me to use a cable that was the same as the speedo end at the trans end ( and is the same as the stock 55/56 cable)..

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Paul, can you provide more  information for the aftermarket angle drive, including source, that you used for your C4 conversion? Would it have been simpler/cheaper to have drilled a hole in the frame for the 57 cable? 

Thanks 
dbird
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Early Mustang cables will probably work.  When I put a C4 on my 55 Bird I roamed the local Pick m Pull until I found a Ford with the right cable ends and grabbed it.  Pulled it out of a first-generation Falcon and it fits pretty much perfectly with no drilling, though I did buy a new gear from a Thunderbird supplier to get the speedo to read right for gear and tires.  I pulled a couple of 70 vintage cables but they had plastic clips for the speedo end amd didn't look like a match.
Don
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

dbird, the transmission end of the 57 Tbird cable fits the C4 and uses the same style gear. If the Falcon cable fit your 55 without drilling/using 90-degree adapter drive, I would think the 57 cable will as well. I hold off on buying adapters/drilling holes until it's time to install the cable. 

The primary reason I chose the C4 rather than the AOD/T5 is ease of installation; I hope that holds true. Admittedly, a 5.0 Fox Mustang/w T5 was more fun to drive than my 88/w AOD. However, it's been so long since I've owned a manual, I don't think I would want to go back. No doubt overdrive would be nice, but I settled for highway gears. 
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

dbird, I would like to see how you routed the Falcon cable to the C4 when/if convenient. I've been told that the 57 Tbirds have a hole in the frame for the speedometer cable. I'm just wondering why there's a hole, if it's not needed. 

Thanks
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Blacktie - I think the supplier was Speedometer Service Co.  in Wisconsin (414-432-4636.)  Don't remember what I paid for it, but certainly not cheaper than drilling a hole. Was simple to install though. Will try to find the invoice for it tomorrow.
I ordered a 1 to 1 ratio, you can get different ratios to correct a speedo.  I corrected my speedo by changing the driven gear.

te]55blacktie (2/6/2022)
Paul, can you provide more  information for the aftermarket angle drive, including source, that you used for your C4 conversion? Would it have been simpler/cheaper to have drilled a hole in the frame for the 57 cable? 

Thanks 
[/quote]

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks, Paul. I would PM/email, but it hasn't worked in the past. 

paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Blacktie -sitting down?  275 for the angle drive.  Drilling a hole is a lot cheaper

Thinking about this, if I remember correctly, it was a bit of a tight fit to get the angle drive in place

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I've tried to avoid making any mods that can't be undone, but holes had been drilled into the frame to accommodate the front mounts for Traction Master bars while the 55 Tbird was still in my dad's possession. He was no hot-rodder. I think the bars were installed to limit lateral movement of the rear axle, so the KH wire-wheel knockoffs wouldn't rub the skirts. I decided against installing an AOD because I did not want to notch the frame for clearance. Although I would like overdrive, my transmission builder said that the C4 is a better transmission. I also think the AOD would be more difficult to install. My point being drilling one more hole to accommodate the speedometer cable seems like the logical thing to do. 

Yes, I'm sure the 90-degree drive adapter is tight. I found that out while attempting to disconnect the 55 cable. Even with the exhaust system removed, I haven't found the right tool in my toolbox that will squeeze in there to remove the cable. It might have to remain attached and come out with the transmission (or cut it).  Gil Baumgartner (CTCI Gil's Garage) recommends attaching the cable to the transmission before the transmission is installed for that reason. 

Thanks
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Some follow up information on this installation.  The '64-'66 Mustang V8 speedometer cable will work, albeit too long at 64 inches.  The original speedometer cable was 47 inches, but needs about 5 inches extra to allow for bend into the transmission without too much of a bend.  A 52" speedometer cable would be perfect with the same Ford Mustanghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/627fb893-8bb1-47a3-9450-59f4.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f9055fa7-430c-4b95-a78a-669d.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/80a77c72-e8d5-4e28-b44a-1b02.jpg ends.  Also, the drive shaft for the original Ford differential needs to be 31inches center to center instead of the 32 1/4" in Mummert's instruction sheet.  He must have been using a Ford 9" read end for his build, but did not say that in the instructions sheet.  The C-4 transmission mount must be used and the holes drilled in the Thunderbird transmission cross member.  The cross member does need to be lowered in the X frame and it will not be level to the ground.   
I am waiting on the driveshaft to be shortened.  I am installing Dynamat sound deadner and heat reflector under the new carpet.  I ordered the carpet for column shift so that I could cut the shifter hole where it needed to be with this combination of shifter placement.  Joe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter