Profile Picture

Tremec T-5 install in Thunderbird

Posted By Joe-JDC 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
I have built and raced, Fox Mustangs since 1986, with WC T-5Z transmissions, I have a '86 GT with 383W stroker/5 speed, and just sold my 91 LX a couple of months ago, and gave my youngest son my '89 GT with 23K miles on it.  I have lots of experience with the T-5 transmissions, and lots of plastic gears for the speedometer cable.  The LX had 4.10 gears, my '86 has 3.73 gears, and my '89 GT now has 3.73 gears and WC-Z.  This T-5 came out of the '89 GT.   All those transmissions had a speedometer cable adapter for the cable end that goes into the transmission.  It has different cable ends from your pictures.  I can get pictures tomorrow.  If a regular speedometer cable for a truck will work, then I will try to find one locally.  Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I think there was a cable design change at some point in the '50s.

I didn't take a picture for reference, but what FORD DEARBORN shows looks like I remember.  '61 to ?? cables and gears seem to fit the T5 without any adapter needed.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Both the speedometer cable design and gear at the transmission changed in 1957 and stayed that way for at least three decades.  As mentioned by Ford Dearborn, the gears are available with the helix being either left or right.  When I upgraded the T85 in my ’55 Customline, I simply purchased a speedometer cable for a ’57 Ford with overdrive and it bolted right in my ’55.  I did have to also use a ’57 & up speedo gear and pick the one with the right tooth count that matched my tire size and gear ratio to get the speedometer to read close to correct.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

This is what I am dealing with.  The '55 Thunderbird adapter vs the T-5.  I am going to try to find a newer Ford speedometer cable and check the ends to see if they are compatible with the speedometer housing, and the T-5.  I have plenty of plastic gears for the transmission end of the cable.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7e851c6-54e7-4fa3-bfb0-6e80.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0036ae02-c152-4e71-907b-3d38.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f5692e0e-6119-49f2-835c-a4f1.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ddde312b-eb9c-4463-9c76-2cff.jpg

JDC
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

After checking several sources, it looks like I need the '57 Thunderbird with automatic transmission speedometer cable. T-17260B.  The A and C suffix are for the OD transmission and look similar to the stock '55 I have.  The B cable is similar to all Mustangs with toploader transmissions, and I have ordered two, one 68" and one 76" length.  If the short one doesn't work in the Tbird, it will fit my Shelby.  win/win
Joe-JDC

JDC
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Glad you have it figured out. The one with the blue finish should fit a T5. That's a pulse generator, no?

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If it's any help, I bought the same cable for putting a C4 transmission in my 55 Tbird.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

By the way, another 55 Tbird owner, who did a C4 swap said that he modified the 90-degree drive adapter to accommodate the 57 cable; otherwise, he said it's necessary to drill/cut a hole in the frame to accommodate the cable. I haven't gotten that far with my conversion, but I'll go back and read his email (if I still have it), if it helps.
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I will probably drill a hole to route the cable through the frame.  I had to lower the transmission crossmember and angle it 5* for it to mount to the transmission in a level position.  The instructions mention 5*, but it does not specify where or what those 5* are measured against.  I guess they suppose the end user should be smart enough to figure it out for themselves.  This '55 Thunderbird has been so mistreated over the years that I am just trying to get it fun to drive and not worry about originality or perfection.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5541c3cb-b7d6-4a0b-9071-8a6c.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1a234e64-a594-40fa-8dea-74b9.jpg

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Joe, here is contact info. for someone who has been there and done that:

John Rollison
Pro Tech Performance
Waldorf, MD
(301) 638-2109

Sorry, no email address/website

Reading This Topic

Site Meter