Profile Picture

Spin on oil filter adapter question... and source of chrome acorn nut for valve covers

Posted By ogasman 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Spin on oil filter adapter question... and source of chrome acorn nut...

Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a 56 block with what I assume is an aftermarket adapter.  It has the thin base plate on the block with the slots on the top that is OEM ( I think), then a hard plastic ( rubber?) stepped washer, then the thick outer plate.  I assume fiber gasket on the block, then thin plate, then plastic washer, then thick plate ( with the three holes on the top side).  This is the way it was when I took it off, don't know if it leaked or not.
  I have 3 of the chrome acorn nut for the t-bird valve covers, missing 1.  Anybody have a good source?

Thanks
Paul
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I found some of the chrome acorn nuts at a local hardware store.  CASCO also lists the acorn nut, can be bought separately

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

57RancheroJim
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
If I'm reading this correctly you have two plates for the adapter? That doesn't sound right. There should only be one plate.
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
ogasman (3/22/2021)
I have a 56 block with what I assume is an aftermarket adapter.  It has the thin base plate on the block with the slots on the top that is OEM ( I think), then a hard plastic ( rubber?) stepped washer, then the thick outer plate.  I assume fiber gasket on the block, then thin plate, then plastic washer, then thick plate ( with the three holes on the top side).  This is the way it was when I took it off, don't know if it leaked or not.

What you have sounds like an early aftermarket spin on oil filter adapter that goes in place of the original cartridge oil filter canister.  Those were popular back in the day.  In your case, the original ‘thin’ oil flow directional plate used with the cartridge filter was retained instead of being discarded.  Those aftermarket units retained the hollow nut in the block that were used originally with the hollow bolt that retained the canister housing to the block.  The hollow nut stayed while the hollow bolt was discarded along with the canister.  I replace those aftermarket pieces with the later model single piece oil filter nut and the oil filter plate that has a larger hole to accommodate the later model oil filter nut.  Only three pieces on the late model (1957 and newer) oil filter plate which would be the gasket, the plate itself, and the attaching nut that also has the threads for the spin on oil filter.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ogasman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

So, should I replace the adapter plate (plates) that I have with a new one?  If I need to replace it, who makes the best one?

Thanks
Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

If you get the opportunity to purchase an original I would not hesitate. The stock
gaskets in an overhaul set work perfect.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago

OEM - B7A 6882-A

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fd051efb-edb0-4706-9fcc-7fb5.jpg

ogasman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I dug through my stash of y blocks, and found an original spin on adapter.   Oh my gosh, was that thing on tight.  I had to use the air impact to take it off, and it was hard the whole way off.  The threads look good on it, I wonder if lock-tite was used on it.  What is the torque on the adapter nut?  Should I use anything on the nut ( lock-tite) or just put it on.

Thganks
Paul
Sandbird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

The instruction sheet on the picture Kultulz submitted says 25 ft./lbs.

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
No thread locker, gasket sealer, or extreme tightening is necessary.  I do prefer to use the fiber gaskets for the block seal rather than the rubber gaskets provided in some of the filter or gasket kits.

Before installing those spin on oil filter adapter plates on the engine, place them on a flat surface and insure that block side center hole in the plate is slightly higher than the outer gasket surface.  This will insure that there is enough tension at the outer gasket to keep it from leaking.  In those cases where the plate has deformed enough that the outer gasket flange is sitting higher than the center hole, then the potential for leakage has increased exponentially.  Here’s a link to an article from the late Walt Nuckels website giving some instructions on how to restore the correct conformity to the plate.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/tech/html/oil_filter.html

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter