Profile Picture

Thunderbird distributor I.D. help

Posted By ogasman 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Came with a 292 that was supposed to be out of a 1955 bird.  Had a 56 block and 57 heads.  Is this a 57 distributor?

Thanks
Paul
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
No.  It's a '55 T-Bird distributor.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Genuinerod
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The number on the distributor should be FEA-12127-E or F for the 55 T- Bird.  I think the difference was for manual or auto trans.
ogasman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Thanks Guys
  Could not find any casting numbers on the distributor.  There is an attached plate with just a few numbers.  It came out of a stick car.

Paul
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Looks like a 55 distributor to me. It doesn't have the dual vacuum pot of the 56, but it does have exposed springs found on the 55-56 vacuum-advance-only distributors. It is not a 57 distributor/w both vacuum and mechanical advance. A 57 distributor would not have the exposed springs above the breaker plate.A 55 distributor should have a data/model plate attached to the distributor housing. I think 56 distributors do as well. The information is cast into a 57 distributor's body; there's no plate. A 57 distributor cap will not fit on a 55/56 distributor. If you are going to run a modern 57-up carburetor, you will need a 57-up distributor. 

If you can provide the model/part number, one of us can tell you exactly what you have, but it definitely isn't a 57 distributor.
ogasman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The data plate was painted over.  Cleaned if off as best as possible.  Lower left is stamped 572, top right stamped FEV, lower right stamped E.  Just curious why you can't run it with a modern Holley carb?  My dad swapped out the teapot intake to the B manifold, and ran a modern Holley carb on his other 1955 bird without any issues that I know of.  He did not change the distributor.

Paul
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Go to eatonbalancing.com, click on "Quick Index" at the top of the page, and then select "Modifying the Holley 4000(Teapot) for the late model distributors." I think it will answer your question better than I can. 
57RancheroJim
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
His situation is the opposite. Later carb and early distributor.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

57rancherojim, read the article, not just the title.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

A 57-up carburetor relies on mechanical advance, which the 55 distributor does not have. The 55 vacuum advance is designed to work with the Teapot carburetor. In other words, with a 57-up carburetor and a 55 distributor, he will have no ignition advance. The vacuum advance circuitry can be plugged on a Teapot, thereby relying solely on the mechanical advance of a 57-up distributor, which he does not have. I think it makes more sense when Ted says it, but people who have already figured it out will know what I'm trying to say.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter