Profile Picture

Thunderbird distributor I.D. help

Posted By ogasman 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
Impressive! You must have done some serious port work on those 113 heads. How about that windage tray? You had a top-notch guy to work with. I'm envious.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Joe,
What intake manifold (can’t tell from photo)? Modified ‘B’, or Blue Thunder?  
BTW: Just wondering, are BTs for the ‘Y’ still available?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Yes, I reworked the heads myself. Ported the BT version 5 with firing order on it.  The BT intakes are still available, but have had a price increase.  We did the windage tray modification to the EMC 303 Y, and now this 346 Y.  It is a 289 SBF windage tray.  I ordered the 351W studs for 1/2" mains, and Ted milled the mounting slots to the width of the Y mains,  a couple of cuts with a cut off wheel, and it fits quite well.  You will have to cut a small amount to clear the pick-up tube, but not a big issue.  Dip stick clears with no issues, either.  I kept the compression low on purpose so that it would be pump gas friendly.  I am glad you had a hard time determining what intake was on the engine, since painting it makes it look like the original Ford, I had another BT, but it doesn't have the firing order on it.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

228 @ .050/w 111 LSA sounds like Mummert's cam. Did you use a C2OE block? What transmission and rear gears? Yes, the BT intake is expensive. 
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Have a T-5, adapter, but after seeing 395 fb/ft, I may go with a TKO and stock rear gears.  The Bird has 3 speed OD, so deep gears right now.  Yes, it is one of the Mummert camshafts that I ordered several years ago.  I am using the Harland Sharp rocker arms for iron heads.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just to be safe, makes sense to go with a transmission that has a higher torque rating than the T-5. Still wondering if you used a C2AE block. With 5.5 lbs. fuel pressure, which fuel pump? I've seen lots of complaints about both mechanical and electrical pumps. My Carter M6903 FE pump is still in the box. Is there a better mechanical pump? No vacuum accessories.
Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

GOOD JOB, 400HP with a little cam and no compression is hard to do, and looks to me like there's more 
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Dnyo cell electric fuel pump with regulator.  Yes, C2 block, early one(K) actually late '61 casting.  We didn't have time to actually start tuning such as jets, spacers, different valve lash, timing, or different carb or manifold.  I have the FPA T-Bird headers also that I would like to get a couple of pulls with.   At 75, I was tuckered after two days full speed, and I know Ted was tired, too.  I am really appreciative of how Ted works with me and I am still learning Y's even though I started with a Y back in '62.  We dyno tested a near stock 428 CJ of mine a few months ago, and it only made 377 hp. I am always amazed how well these little Ys respond to typical hop-up modifications.  Joe-JDC 

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Knowing what it takes, you didn't accomplish it with your loose change, and there's more than just 1 cu. in. difference between a 427 and 428; but you know that.

Thanks for sharing all the info.  
cos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Hi Joe  I'm really interested in your build. Would really like to get details you did to this engine, everything. Would you consider sharing it here or new post?  Bill  Oregon

Reading This Topic

Site Meter