Profile Picture

Thunderbird distributor I.D. help

Posted By ogasman 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Based on their description, I think the CRT and TSP are the same distributor but sold by different vendors. Neither has an adjustable vacuum advance. Is that an issue? CRT's site said that 8mm Packard plug wires also are available. Has anyone purchased them with the distributor? If so, are they a direct fit?
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
The TSP distributor that I received does have an adjustable vacuum advance pot.  That’s a feature not normally available with the MSD distributors.  For dyno testing purposes I used the MSD HEI terminal spark plug wires that were being used with the MSD distributor.  The additional ¾” height of the cap posed no problem in installing the wires.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

DANIEL TINDER (2/9/2021)
Interesting. It hadn’t occurred to me, but I should likely measure the gear location on the 50s NOS Mallory Dual Point that I bought on eBay before installing it.  Quality control & machining precision is something that probably couldn’t have been taken for granted 65 yrs. ago.

Finally got around to measuring it.  Looks like Mallory was also careful to install the gear higher than FoMoCo spec (better too high than too low?). Variation in block machining must have been common knowledge in the late 50s.

BTW: As a side note, while many have stated that their non-vacuum distributor runs just fine, I haven’t read much about the gas mileage that gets sacrificed (?).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I haven't heard much about the insides.  Are parts available in case of a problem or, for guys like me, like to carry spare parts?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I compared TSP and CRT website descriptions and photos for the Thunderbird mechanical tach-drive distributor. TSP specifically states that their vacuum advance is non-adjustable. On the other hand, CRT confirmed that their vacuum advance is adjustable, and a small allen wrench can be seen in their photo. The CRT is $60 cheaper. 
ogasman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ted said if I didn't care, to get the HEI style cap.  He said that the cap / electronics would  interchange with MSD pieces.  The TSP has the HEI style cap, the CRT has the standard type cap.  Ted said the TSP came with an adjustable vacuum advance pot.  I paid about $20 bucks more for the TSP than the CRT, EBAY prices.

Paul
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

DANIEL TINDER (4/2/2021)
DANIEL TINDER (2/9/2021)
Interesting. It hadn’t occurred to me, but I should likely measure the gear location on the 50s NOS Mallory Dual Point that I bought on eBay before installing it.  Quality control & machining precision is something that probably couldn’t have been taken for granted 65 yrs. ago.

Finally got around to measuring it.  Looks like Mallory was also careful to install the gear higher than FoMoCo spec (better too high than too low?). Variation in block machining must have been common knowledge in the late 50s.

BTW/FYI: Was reminded recently that a gear installed too high on the shaft CAN be problematic also.  The pitch of the gears will pull the shaft down, eventually destroying the distributor housing, which is why people are warned not to use the distributor gasket included in FelPro kits.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Just installed the CRT in my 292 Y that will be going into my '55 Thunderbird.  Fired up just fine, no issues so far.  Looks nearly stock.  The cap is slightly taller due to the electronics inside but at least it looks like the Ford unit to most folks.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4156007f-b52a-46e6-8661-8550.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8b72a8fc-fc0f-4a19-8a43-3a17.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f793830d-3976-4f4b-b078-8994.jpg

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Joe, what carburetor is on your engine? Will that spacer allow your air cleaner to clear the hood?
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Summit 750VS, and it is too small for the engine.  Pulling 1.4" vacuum at 6000 rpm @ 402hp.  1" Super Sucker, which will be swapped for another type after a couple more dyno tests.  I have a fiberglass Ford bubble hood that I acquired from fellow forum member Gary B.  Hopefully that will allow me to try several different intakes in the future similar to the "Awfulhauser" dyno tests.  9.43:1 compression, iron 113 heads, 228* @ .050" on 111 LS, 346 cubic inches.  Intended for street cruising.  Ted and I took this from a bare block to dyno tested in two days.  I thoroughly enjoyed working with Ted again on a Y.  I am still recuperating from the long hours.  LOL.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2d2f1a46-7cd8-4b77-99dd-a3c3.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3fe655bb-64c1-40d3-897f-0f55.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/726ae82e-e68c-4fe4-b010-8346.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/447452f8-a3fd-4a14-ab5e-a228.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/073e089a-feeb-46a2-915a-3f91.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f7ac9a45-dcb0-4ec8-afce-c750.jpgJoe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter