Profile Picture

Time to build it

Posted By famdoc3 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
So I have been accumulating parts for years. A 1959 292 block that is .60 over but not core shifted (Sonics good in all cylinders). A set of nice 113 heads. A forged truck crank that has been magnifluxed, straightened, Cut for g.m. Connecting rods and then nitride. All currently at the machine shop. A YBloke supercharger manifold is here waiting along with Detroit diesel 471 supercharger To run twin v-belts 1 to 1. 1 7/8 inch long tube headers to a Tremec 3650 with an aftermarket replacement for the bell housing to bolt up to a truck bell housing to a jaguar rear. All to be housed in a has is I have already built for my Model A coupe. I think this is my last big build so kind of goin all out. Looking for a 1965 build. We’ll see how it goes. MIKE

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
That will run like the bat out of hell. Just a question, why the 113 heads instead of the larger chamber 471's. You must have done something more to get the compression down for the blower. I've run both on low boost blower motors, but with a 471 unit you can make a lot of boost with a pulley change.

Have fun.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Looked for 471 heads for a while and didn’t find and did find super clean 113s. Will take care of compression when I order the pistons wn
Hi how will need to be custom as we will be using 6” scruby h- beam rods. Just making it up as we go along. MIKE

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Molnar makes a 6.125" Scrub rod with 2.000" journal, and the price is decent.  They make several lengths in 2.100" journal, all the way to 6.400".  Joe-JDC

JDC
famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the molnar suggestion, they look pretty good. Now a little eye candy (mock-up)!

famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Need some advice. Hope to use some after 6” market rods from a scrubby. Have already cut the crankshaft journal to 2 inch. Any suggestions? Will have custom pistons made to make it all work I think. THANKS MIKE

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
283 SBC pistons have been used, but standard-bore 283 is 3.875; you would need a 0.125 overbore. The block would have to be sonic checked. There's also a limited selection of off-the-shelf 283 pistons (sounds familiar?). There is not much demand for them. You'll have to confirm that the 6" rod is the correct length to use with the 283 pistons. 

Often you end up spending more money for machine work, parts that don't fit, etc., while trying to save money using rare combinations. I've not built a stroker, so don't let this be the last word.  
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Rod big ends will have to be narrowed according to crankshaft journal width plus clearance.  Need someone who understands the process or they will mess up the rods and take the material off in the wrong place.  Diamond, JE, make custom pistons that will fit your 3.810" bore.  If you need more help, I would suggest a call to Ted Eaton for help with machine work, or parts selection, or to order custom pistons.  Joe-JDC

JDC
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
As JDC says, you best get some direction from someone liket Ted Eaton or "link" from this site to John Mummert's ford-y-block site, rather than trying to force feed SBC parts into your project.. Mummert has an extensive parts list covering just about everything related to our Ford Y-Blocks..
P.S.- and your very likely going to get bad advice related to the Y-Block from someone in the Bow Tie crowd... 

Paul
famdoc3
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well IT RUNS!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter