Time to build it

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic153144.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By famdoc3 - 4 Years Ago
So I have been accumulating parts for years. A 1959 292 block that is .60 over but not core shifted (Sonics good in all cylinders). A set of nice 113 heads. A forged truck crank that has been magnifluxed, straightened, Cut for g.m. Connecting rods and then nitride. All currently at the machine shop. A YBloke supercharger manifold is here waiting along with Detroit diesel 471 supercharger To run twin v-belts 1 to 1. 1 7/8 inch long tube headers to a Tremec 3650 with an aftermarket replacement for the bell housing to bolt up to a truck bell housing to a jaguar rear. All to be housed in a has is I have already built for my Model A coupe. I think this is my last big build so kind of goin all out. Looking for a 1965 build. We’ll see how it goes. MIKE
By miker - 4 Years Ago
That will run like the bat out of hell. Just a question, why the 113 heads instead of the larger chamber 471's. You must have done something more to get the compression down for the blower. I've run both on low boost blower motors, but with a 471 unit you can make a lot of boost with a pulley change.

Have fun.
By famdoc3 - 4 Years Ago
Looked for 471 heads for a while and didn’t find and did find super clean 113s. Will take care of compression when I order the pistons wn
Hi how will need to be custom as we will be using 6” scruby h- beam rods. Just making it up as we go along. MIKE
By Joe-JDC - 4 Years Ago
Molnar makes a 6.125" Scrub rod with 2.000" journal, and the price is decent.  They make several lengths in 2.100" journal, all the way to 6.400".  Joe-JDC
By famdoc3 - 4 Years Ago
Thanks for the molnar suggestion, they look pretty good. Now a little eye candy (mock-up)!
By famdoc3 - 4 Years Ago
Need some advice. Hope to use some after 6” market rods from a scrubby. Have already cut the crankshaft journal to 2 inch. Any suggestions? Will have custom pistons made to make it all work I think. THANKS MIKE
By 55blacktie - 4 Years Ago
283 SBC pistons have been used, but standard-bore 283 is 3.875; you would need a 0.125 overbore. The block would have to be sonic checked. There's also a limited selection of off-the-shelf 283 pistons (sounds familiar?). There is not much demand for them. You'll have to confirm that the 6" rod is the correct length to use with the 283 pistons. 

Often you end up spending more money for machine work, parts that don't fit, etc., while trying to save money using rare combinations. I've not built a stroker, so don't let this be the last word.  
By Joe-JDC - 4 Years Ago
Rod big ends will have to be narrowed according to crankshaft journal width plus clearance.  Need someone who understands the process or they will mess up the rods and take the material off in the wrong place.  Diamond, JE, make custom pistons that will fit your 3.810" bore.  If you need more help, I would suggest a call to Ted Eaton for help with machine work, or parts selection, or to order custom pistons.  Joe-JDC
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
As JDC says, you best get some direction from someone liket Ted Eaton or "link" from this site to John Mummert's ford-y-block site, rather than trying to force feed SBC parts into your project.. Mummert has an extensive parts list covering just about everything related to our Ford Y-Blocks..
P.S.- and your very likely going to get bad advice related to the Y-Block from someone in the Bow Tie crowd... 
By famdoc3 - Last Year
Well IT RUNS!
By famdoc3 - Last Year
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/555e1ff8-7287-4da9-a3c0-a63a.jpg  
By famdoc3 - Last Year
Tried to post a video of it running was not able to. It sounds great and I am so excited. Wish you could hear it. Decided not to run the headers, ceramic coated a set of rams horns to turbo mufflers. All great with the Grant Flame thrower, polished 471! If someone can tell me what to do to post a 22 second video I’ll gladly share it.
By FORD DEARBORN - Last Year
I wish I could tell you how to post a video but your build is looking mighty good. The ram horn manifolds look great and so does your choice of power steering pump. That being said, even if you could post a 22 second video, unfortunately it would sound not so good digitized through our cell phones and computers. 
By Deyomatic - Last Year
Looks great...but power steering on a Model A?  You're probably losing 8 horsepower spinning that pump!  LOL.  
By miker - Last Year
That’s just gorgeous, nicely done. The blower speaks for itself, but I really like the rams horns too. To my mind, the neatest cast manifolds anyone made.

How about a couple steps back and a picture of the whole car?
By 62bigwindow - Last Year
Nice!!
By MoonShadow - Last Year
What did you use for the 2V belt pullies? I'm using accessory pullies from a scrub but need a smaller diameter for the upper to turn the blower faster. Right now I'm at 6.2 and 6.0, barley pushing air.

By famdoc3 - Last Year
I redrilled a scruby pulley and it is slightly smaller than the stock damper pulley. Don’t yet know how much boost I’m making as I don’t have a gauge installed yet.