Profile Picture

Front Engine Mount

Posted By MattsY 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ok, stupid question of the day here. Is the front engine mount a necessary piece on a 1954 Crestline? I got my engine all assembled and completely forgot about that silly mount. It attaches to the face of the block as well as the two, front oil pan bolts that go into the timing cover. That's not really an issue, but the fact that it must go on before the damper and pulley does complicate things a bit. Yes, I'm being lazy and don't want to bother pulling the damper off, but I will if it's a critical piece. Thanks for your time!
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Many of these were removed over the Years and not replaced. Discontinued after 1956. As long as your side Mounts are in good Shape You should be fine. Others will have their Opinion I am sure.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
As Mark says, it may not be necessary on a '54 Ford. Actually, Ford apparently referred to it as a "steady rest" I believe. A time that it could be an issue, is if you are removing the Transmission?  Depends on the trans mounts or cross members etc?..    

Paul
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:57:05 AM
its the first thing i get rid of when changing a motor.
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I went in the opposite direction.  When I installed the 312 in my 54, I used the steady rest as I figured better to be safe than sorry.  If your installing a later Y than a 54, the 54 steady rest will not work.  You must uses a 55 or 56 unit.because of damper interference on the 54 steady rest.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I removed my 56 when I added a transmission that needed cooling lines and to add clearance for the fan shroud I added. So far there has been no seen problem.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
MattsY
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thank you all! I will not be putting it back then. The transmission thing sounds logical and thinking about it, it's a pretty good idea, but when it comes time to change the clutch or something again, I'll just have to support the motor like I've always done.
Lou
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Matt, just hope you don't ever have to make a pantic stop.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
Here’s the link to an older thread on the subject.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost20560.aspx

I will add this.  That piece attached at the front of the engine that is so often confused as a front engine mount on the 1954-1956 cars is a steady rest.  It is more for ride control and driving stability than as a engine support.  Add this to the list of items you got when you purchased a Ford and not the C h e v y.  Along with the steady rest, Ford also included a sway bar and additional frame supports among other engineering enhancements.  It’s no surprise that the Fords had a much better ride and road manners than its direct competitor.

That steady rest was deemed not necessary on the 1957 and newer Ford cars so it wasn’t seen again after 1956. As has been mentioned, that steady rest does tend to get discarded when any engine servicing is performed as it’s simply in the way.  Anytime a different engine family is installed in those particular cars, the steady rest is also eliminated.  There’s no fear for any forward movement of the engine/transmission assemblies as long as the motor and transmission mounts all remain in place.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter