Profile Picture

Steady Rest

Posted By Jim Rowe 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Will I need to put the steady rest back on my engine? I have the engine out and in the process of a performance rebuild.

I see no need for the steady rest in my 56 Club Sedan. I will however change from the ford-o-matic to a top loader 4 speed.

Any thoughts?

Jim

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/685636be-87f4-437e-933a-adcb.jpg  Jim Rowe Elkhorn, NE
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f2b2f69a-dc78-4e8b-b3aa-1890.jpg
55Birdman
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Put engine in and crank it up.If it idles fine with out the rest then I guess you are good. I was in the same boat and I installed mine because I didnt want to lose them in my collection of y parts.  

55Birdman Smile  Hickory NC
charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
If it's designed to use them, I would put them in.

Lawrenceville, GA
Teros292
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I think that it is not necessarily needed, 57 fords did not have steady rest and the engine mounts are same as 56. At least I am not putting it back.

Tero from Nurmijarvi, Finland
56 Country Sedan, 61 F-100, 61 F-600, 55 F-620, 52 Mercury

oldcarmark
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
Hello Jim,I believe these were installed to reduce engine vibration at idle and low speed.Apparently many were removed over the years with no ill effect.I put mine back together after I bought the car as the lower metal channel and rubbers were missing.I would think of it as an extra retainer for motor in the event one of the sidemounts let go.Might save you a radiator at some point.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
charliemccraney (1/8/2009)
If it's designed to use them, I would put them in.

This is exactly my feeling. When putting the 312 in my 54, I used the steady rest. Can't hurt, may help.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

speedpro56
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
the steady rest is useless unless you're in a concours auto show.

-Gary Burnette-

Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
I‘ll agree with Gary in that you can do away with the front steady rest and never know that it was ever there.  I've been both ways on the '55 and '56 cars and it doesn’t appear to make a difference.  This particular item goes back to the clean slate engineering that took place when the Y was first introduced and was eventually found that it could be done away with.  And It’s definitely easier to install the engine back in its bay when it’s not there.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

dbzach64C
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I don't believe I've ever seen a front steady rest on any y block car that's had the engine out. We've been running ours for 20 years now with no hint of a problem.

Wichita,KS
crenwelge
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
All of this discussion makes me feel better. I ran Y-blocks all during the 60's and then I kind of gave up the hobby in favor of tending to business. I never used the steady rests back in the 60's because I figured I didn't need them. I have 3 56 Fords that are original and I am in the process of installing an engine in one of them and had intentions of using the steady rest. The more I think about it, I think I will just forget about the steady rest like I did 40 years ago. I think the side motor mounts will keep the engine from moving around for as long as I will still be driving.

Kenneth

Fredricksburg, Texas

Reading This Topic

Site Meter