Profile Picture

aluminum manifold clamps

Posted By 30 coupe 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Use your originals.  That's all we had in the '50s.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
30 coupe (1/24/2020)
Ted, which do you think would work best with an Edelbrock 573intake?  I am a bit "worried" about the off-set on the Blue Thunder Clamps, although I like the looks of them better.  Thanks for your opinion, it is valuable to me. I still have not found a price listed anywhere for either, or a source for the Blue Thunder clamps, other than e-bay 

oldcarmark (1/25/2020)
I have an Aluminum Offy but no Clamps. Can I use the Ones that are used on the original Cast Iron Intake or do I need to look for others?

I have used the Blue Thunder aluminum turtles (clamps) only on the Blue Thunder intake manifolds.  The BT turtles are offset on the mounting holes so that could give issues when used on other manifolds.  For all the other intake manifolds, I’ve simply used the factory or oem turtles.  Be aware that there were different sizes on those oem turtles and some of the early designs may be just too long to fit some of the aftermarket manifolds.  When I get a chance, I’ll post a picture showing some of the various factory turtles.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

30 coupe
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thank You Ted,  I look forward to you posting the pictures of the different types of clamps.--   Jim
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Here is a picture of the various intake manifold turtles that are sitting here.  The top one is the aluminum Blue Thunder unit with an offset hole while the remaining turtles are oem Ford.  The second from the bottom clamp is cast iron and can be found on the 1963-1964 Y engines.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/17a933e5-6614-4097-aee9-a603.jpg 

Edit:  See the revised picture later in this thread.  Here’s the link.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost150181.aspx 

30 coupe
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Thank you Ted.  I did know about 2 of them, but had forgotten. I have never seen the cast iron ones. 
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

As a FYI, the 1957 factory dual quad aluminum intake manifolds used the same longer steel clamps (turtles) as those used on the earlier Ford Y’s.  On the picture above, that clamp is the bottom clamp.  The 2V and 4V cast iron intakes in 1957 used a shorter turtle and it’s 2nd from the top in the above picture.

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 minutes ago
What's the middle one?  '58-'62?  It seems like they are the ones I have the most of.  I had not even been aware of the 2nd and bottom ones, yet.

Lawrenceville, GA
Oldmics
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Here is a picture of the correct "E" code clamps. Approximatly 2 1/8 in length. As you can see it differs slightly when compared to Teds clamp.
I have seen "E" code machines lose points for not having these exact clamps in Judging.

Oldmicshttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9736aaa4-2985-4e67-9f1d-9fda.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Oldmics.  Did Ford use the same intake manifold clamps on the over-the-parts counter '56 Ford Power Pack intake that were used on the '57 E code intakes?

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Oldmics
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Charlie
Curiously No manifold clamps were supplied in the 56 Race Kit.

There was no valley pan to accomidate the dual quad manifold in the kit either.

Oldmics

Reading This Topic

Site Meter