Profile Picture

aluminum manifold clamps

Posted By 30 coupe 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
Here is a picture of the correct "E" code clamps. Approximatly 2 1/8 in length. As you can see it differs slightly when compared to Teds clamp.

I have seen "E" code machines lose points for not having these exact clamps in Judging.

The 1959 MPC FINAL ISSUE (Pub 1959) -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1e140e69-b403-425e-8410-e57d.jpg

... shows EAD 9446-A (2.21" L) as being used on all 1957 FORD & BIRD. But I do see the difference in yours and Ted's example. This MPC is an earlier issue compared to the 1949/1959 FINAL ISSUE 1964 so chances are there was nothing deleted (IMO).

The 56 8V Kit did not require special clamps or valley pan as the 1957 E-CODE plenum was enlaarged requiring the drop for air cooling the underside on the intake.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Kultulz, my '56 260 HP kit has a flat plate valley cover with the rear road draft tube hole with the metal tray under the draft tube hole.  If I set the manifold on an engine with a standard valley cover it interferes with the manifold and won't let it seat on the head ports.  I have had this kit since '59.  I did not get the hold downs, I just used some that fit.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Oldmics (1/30/2020)
Charlie
Curiously No manifold clamps were supplied in the 56 Race Kit.
There was no valley pan to accommodate the dual quad manifold in the kit either.
Oldmics

Oldmics  Thanks for the info, John.  My recollection when you obtained that Power Pack set-up and opened it up with Felix, is that while it was in its original crate, some items were not there.  -Hey!  That was awhile ago!  The time sure is slipping by, isn't it!  Felix's fire was in 2013!  Gosh . . .

My understanding is akin to what John (Hoosier Hurricane) has indicated.  The valley pan used with the '56 Power Pack set-up was a flat steel plate with the crankcase vent tube opening in the back per the '55-'57 'Bird.  Felix uses 12 gauge steel for the re-productions Power Pack valley pan that he makes.

John, in the C.T.C.I. regional and national meets that you've attended or served as a Concourse judge, have you seen any '56 'Birds or '56 passenger cars with the '56 Power Pack besides your own white, '56 'Bird?

Regards,
Charlie

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Kultulz, my '56 260 HP kit has a flat plate valley cover with the rear road draft tube hole with the metal tray under the draft tube hole.  If I set the manifold on an engine with a standard valley cover it interferes with the manifold and won't let it seat on the head ports.  I have had this kit since '59.  I did not get the hold downs, I just used some that fit.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"

Now that is interesting. So there must have been a unique pan offered. Did you acquire the original kit or got the car with it already installed? The kit was sold over the counter and supposedly no parts were service parts so they would not be catalogued in the CHASSIS CATor MPC.. The list shown in the SERVICE LETTER was the only listing (as far as I know). The component list should have shown engineering numbers. If one needed a replacement part, the dealer would have to order directly from FORD. Or that is the way it worked when I was there.

I had the SERVICE LETTER but am having trouble with my computer and cannot retrieve it. Maybe oldmics can post it?

Oldmics
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Charlie
When I did acquire the kit and after much communication with the 2nd owner of the kit , I did travel to Felix"s home to inventory the many parts and go thru the kit so that Felix and I understood all of its contents. Mostly we both were interested in the distributor information and myself in the camshaft specs.

What we did find was a few surprises about the carburators (only Felix and I have this knowledge) about how they were produced. Felix"s concerns were that since we did not recieve the kit from Ford that it may have been tampered with.

While I see his argument , we both opened multiple sealed envelopes of parts for the first time since they were packaged. During the dig we both noticed the lack of the valley pan which is crucial for correct fitting of the dual quad manifold.

Since then I have acquired the RPO/Engineering Parts List  for the 56 Race Kit.

All of the listed parts have an associated part number , it may be an XE part # but everything that was in the kit has a part # .

The ONLY EXCEPTION is the valley pan. While it is listed on the RPO - there is NO PART NUMBER ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

I am of the belief that the valley pan was not included in the kit. There was no mention of hold down clamps on the RPO document.

Since this was a race application I believe there was no knowledge that a modified valley pan was necessary until installation  and actual use in the field discovered the problem.

The longer hold down clamps were probably a necessity for the long term application on the 57 "E" Code engines.

Felix and I go round & round on things .Thats why he"s so much fun to torment !

KT - Posting the Service Bulletin wont do much good since it has limited information on the parts included in the kit.

Hope all this is of some value to someone.

Oldmics

P.S - I have seen 3 -  56 Birds with the kits installed and I know of 1 -  56 passenger car that has had a "kludged" setup.

Oldmics
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2bb45e3f-f93b-434e-bbe6-856f.jpg56 Power Pak Valley Pan - reproduction by Felixhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/543f95af-3429-4980-b7fd-9a49.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Oldmics.  THANKS for sharing, John!  Interesting!  What you've illustrated for many is the understanding that some information (like part numbers) is not always included in the parts books that we turn to!  Some of the parts you've obtained from Felix had experimental identification numbers on them as I recall.  Neat!  Rolleyes

On a different note, some of the information Liz Robinson (Al's wife) has shared with CTCI members regarding the push by the new Board to make constructive changes, is a concern.  Meaning well and doing well are not always related.  The wholesale change in leadership that the membership approved last Fall, may be our organization's undoing . . .  IF there's some way for me to help with what's afoot, Charlie Brown would be glad to be of help.  I've been a member since ~1970. 

Hope to see you at Spring Carlisle, John!

Charlie 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

COVER - Valve Push Rod - 6519 - 1954-61 FYB

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/763f347b-4a4f-49b8-9cbe-e676.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

THANX! to all for bringing this to light.

So the 56 FORD ALUM intake had a larger plenum. I saw the pan in photos but never connected the dots.

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
John.  Thanks for pointing out the difference on the E code intake clamps.  While I did know that the ’57 dual quad intake required the earlier and longer clamps, I was not aware of how many different styles of those clamps were actually used on the Y until I went digging through the parts bins.  I do have an original 1957 Thunderbird E code engine sitting here that does have the correct intake clamps on it which confirms what you had already mentioned.  I went back through my parts bins and have revised the picture of intake clamps (turtles) and this time added the lengths for each.  I’ve also numbered them so that anyone that has questions about a particular one can refer to it by number.  #6 clamp on the picture would be the clamp style used on the 1957 dual quad intake manifolds.  The #1 clamp is the aluminum Blue Thunder clamp while the #4 clamp is cast iron and found on the 1963-1964 292 engines.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bdec98c6-5a7f-4bdb-8bd5-dda9.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b3fd3773-222b-4da1-8078-bd8d.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter