Profile Picture

Opinion on motor status 292

Posted By capelo 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hola, estoy iniciando mi restauración y me gustaría una opinión sobre lo que estoy encontrando en el desmontaje, pongo fotoshttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d2c3d7ec-a2ad-4c4e-afbe-273c.jpg
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Looks like an oil burner
capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

That seemed to me, what are those two small holes in the center?
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
capelo (12/7/2019)
  ..... What are those two small holes in the center?

Those are ‘steam holes’.  They were put in the deck surface and the heads starting in 1960 to get rid of an air pocket that could potentially form between those two cylinders in the block.  While they are sometimes referred to as cooling holes, they are not large enough to aid in any additional cooling at that particular area.  I have found the cylinder heads cracked at those steam holes so it’s questionable if that was a good idea or not.

Those added holes were installed at the same time that the low profile radiators started being used on the cars.  My experience has been that the ‘steam holes’ holes are not needed on trucks and vehicles that have the taller profile radiators.  The earlier vehicles and pickups with the tall radiators were not as prone to those air locks in the block as those vehicles that were supplied with low profile radiators (1960-1962 Ford cars with the 292 engines).  While the Fel-Pro gasket sets are supplied with instructions to drill the blocks and the heads with the added holes if they do not have them, I recommend against doing that.  I go out of my way to plug those 'steam holes' holes in those blocks that do have them when using heads that are not drilled for those holes.

If you already have the holes in both the heads and the block, then just make sure they are clean when reassembling the engine and use them.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
capelo (12/7/2019)
...... what are those two small holes in the center?

In looking at the picture of your cylinder head, it would appear that the two small center holes (‘steam holes’) have been added.  If that’s a ‘G’ head, then it came from the factory without the additional ‘steam holes’.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
In looking at the picture of your cylinder head, it would appear that the two small center holes (‘steam holes’) have been added.  If that’s a ‘G’ head, then it came from the factory without the additional ‘steam holes’.

... hmmpf ...

So that explains 1960-62 PASS CAR heads with C0AE and C1AE prefixes? The steam holes on the head shown, is this the FEL-PRO modification do you think? Have never been able to find FEL-PRO instruction sheet.

THANX!  Learn something new here about everyday.

capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (12/7/2019)
capelo (12/7/2019)
  ..... What are those two small holes in the center?

Those are ‘steam holes’.  They were put in the deck surface and the heads starting in 1960 to get rid of an air pocket that could potentially form between those two cylinders in the block.  While they are sometimes referred to as cooling holes, they are not large enough to aid in any additional cooling at that particular area.  I have found the cylinder heads cracked at those steam holes so it’s questionable if that was a good idea or not.

Those added holes were installed at the same time that the low profile radiators started being used on the cars.  My experience has been that the ‘steam holes’ holes are not needed on trucks and vehicles that have the taller profile radiators.  The earlier vehicles and pickups with the tall radiators were not as prone to those air locks in the block as those vehicles that were supplied with low profile radiators (1960-1962 Ford cars with the 292 engines).  While the Fel-Pro gasket sets are supplied with instructions to drill the blocks and the heads with the added holes if they do not have them, I recommend against doing that.  I go out of my way to plug those 'steam holes' holes in those blocks that do have them when using heads that are not drilled for those holes.

If you already have the holes in both the heads and the block, then just make sure they are clean when reassembling the engine and use them.

good morning Ted and thanks for the explanations, I have holes in heads and block, I have to pass everything through the machine so if it is better to remove them I can do it I have seen how it is done in the blocks but I do not know if it can be done from it Heads form. In another order of things I would like to post the entire modification process in the forum but I don't know if this is the site. thanks
capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Reading This Topic

Site Meter