Profile Picture

Opinion on motor status 292

Posted By capelo 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
There are some things in a refurbish that I have always considered mandatory to be replaced, such as the timing gears and chain, rocker shafts and arms, and valve guides, springs, seals, crankshaft and rod bearings.  I know it is difficult for you being in Spain, but I would encourage you to try to buy a new set of rocker arms and shafts for your engine if you intend to use it on a daily basis for some years to come.  If it is a pleasure vehicle, then replacing the mismatched parts at a minimum.  16 new rocker arms should not be a job stopper.  Joe-JDC

JDC
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Are you saying the actual rockers arms appear to have different lengths? They do to me also, but it may be the angle of the photo shot. EAN-6564-B ID's as 1954-55 1.43 ration ... ??? ....

EDIT -

The word should read ratio. It must have been close to mess call to have posted ration ...

Some appear longer. They appear to be staggered (in length) as to INTAKE-EXHAUST. They also have later 1956/ one piece adjusting screws.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b090e7ba-ac21-47aa-9da4-d69f.jpg

capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Joe-JDC (12/24/2019)
There are some things in a refurbish that I have always considered mandatory to be replaced, such as the timing gears and chain, rocker shafts and arms, and valve guides, springs, seals, crankshaft and rod bearings.  I know it is difficult for you being in Spain, but I would encourage you to try to buy a new set of rocker arms and shafts for your engine if you intend to use it on a daily basis for some years to come.  If it is a pleasure vehicle, then replacing the mismatched parts at a minimum.  16 new rocker arms should not be a job stopper.  Joe-JDC

thanks if that reference claims to be 1.43, then although aesthetically different signal that is correct, the axles I have to replace fixed, it will not be a daily use vehicle but if it will be used every week, stuck in this and already spent about 3000 dollars Sometimes I think of changing some other things, such as rockers or rods, but between distance and not knowing which part is compatible, it sometimes makes me go back. What rockers are sold online? and rods?
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The rocker arm shafts are readily available.

The rocker arms, are somewhat difficult to find. At least, at what I consider a reasonable cost. Normally $25 each. I spent some time on eBay and pieced together 16 N.O.S. for around $4 to $5 each, that is a price I thought was reasonable. It took a while to round them up, one or two or three at a time. Loose rocker arms on rocker shafts will be erratic in their operation and will also "leak" excessive oil pressure.

An alternative is to send the existing rocker arms for re-sleeving or rebushing the bores, though this can be somewhat expensive from your location. Look for complete rocker arm pair assemblies on eBay or similar - these were either service replacements or something made up, but will include all new hardware for (relatively) a good price. Maybe $250 to $300 or so.

Also recommend new valve springs of appropriate "installed height", ordinarily setup with .010", .015" or .030" hardened shims.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
What rockers are sold online? and rods?

Rocker Arms - http://www.rockerarms.com/pages/about.html

Years ago, you could buy exchange rods as well as crankshaft kits. I don't know if they are still offered. TED will know.

capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Thanks for the answers, on the rods I will wait for you to tell me about the grinding workshop, on the rocker arms is there a set of rollers at a good price? If I had to look for some new rods I would have to search for a source configuration? If someone can give me the measurements of an original crankshaft? Thank you
stuey
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi there
http://www.ford-y-block.com/dimensions.htm 
http://www.ford-y-block.com/enginepa.htm 
http://www.ford-y-block.com/valvetrain.htm
 The above may be of interest.
Shipping plus import taxes are a killer.
stuey
UK

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
capelo (12/25/2019)
... If someone can give me the measurements of an original crankshaft? Thank you

The standard journal specs for the 292 crankshafts are as follows.
Mains – 2.4984” ±0.0004”
Rods – 2.1884” ±0.0004”

It’s always recommended to install the bearings in their respective bores and then check those I.D. dimensions to insure that the oil clearance values will be in the ball park.  My preference is to take those installed bearing dimensions and then grind the crankshaft accordingly for the desired oil clearance.    Checking all the bearing thicknesses with a ball micrometer also helps to insure that all the bearings are indeed the same.  The crankshaft can be ground either smaller or bigger than spec to get the desired clearance and that’s simply due to the different variances working against you.  When the various component dimensions vary to the extreme positive or extreme negative, bearing clearances can be either too tight or too loose if relying simply on the standard based values.  Bearing thicknesses due to manufacturing variances are the major culprit here when the machine work is within specs.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
i find new rockers to pricey for me.i have lots of sets around and take them apart until i find good shafts check the rockers for fit reface them and away to go.i always knock the plugs out and clean the shafts out.i had trouble finding the plugs last time.
capelo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

stuey (12/26/2019)
Hi there
http://www.ford-y-block.com/dimensions.htm 
http://www.ford-y-block.com/enginepa.htm 
http://www.ford-y-block.com/valvetrain.htm
 The above may be of interest.
Shipping plus import taxes are a killer.
stuey
UK

Thanks for the links, I already knew the page of mummerte, but I have been unable to contact to make an order. Living here is much more expensive for the postage I have imposed 👍

Reading This Topic

Site Meter