Profile Picture

oil flow

Posted By blocky 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I agree, NO diesel oil. Thats the problem with the internet, one guy suggest using diesel and it snow balls from there. Oil engineers spend a lot of time and money formulating oils for different applications to meet engine manufactures specs, They aren't one oil fits all. I've seen gas engine cast cranks and cams pitted from the harsh detergents in diesel oil. Most diesel engines have steel cranks and cams.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Greetings everyone:  It's not my intention to beat up on anyone but the stated facts about diesel oil are rock solid. Some of the issues with this kind of thing is it takes a very long time for most of us with our classic vehicles to accumulate miles. Where I live I'm limited to strictly summer or maybe we only have time to be weekend warriors. May take a lifetime for the sludge, pitting and other issues related to poor flow to happen. Like, can get away with improper oil usage for a long time.     I must say, this thread reminds me of something a man of wisdom and extreme automotive experience on this forum said a couple years ago. Three things not to do: 1) Never discuss politics. 2) Never discuss religion. 3) Never discuss motor oil.  Everyone have a great Sunday and hope those in the southern states will run their Y-block's today............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Well, here it is as it happened -

Some years ago, the EPA banned zinc/ash formulated engine oil as it damaged the newer line of convertors. For a while there was no suitable oil available until someone realized SHELL ROTELLA could be used as it had the zinc and was rated for gasoline and/or diesel.

Then SHELL changed the ROTELLA formula and removed the zinc. This was for newer diesel (roller and particulate traps). The old product was still available in 5 GAL containers for older fleet use. Not many caught onto this and I tired of the constant food fights.

This is where the old wives tales still come into play. There are now many formulated oils for flat tappet usage.

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Three things not to do: 1) Never discuss politics. 2) Never discuss religion. 3) Never discuss motor oil.

Four things - Brake Valving

57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
FORD DEARBORN (11/24/2019)
Greetings everyone:   Everyone have a great Sunday and hope those in the southern states will run their Y-block's today............
Mine will be on the road today. Changed the oil/filter yesterday and the body still feels it Smile My Y is a daily driver.

BamaBob
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
KULTULZ (11/24/2019)
Well, here it is as it happened -

Some years ago, the EPA banned zinc/ash formulated engine oil as it damaged the newer line of convertors. For a while there was no suitable oil available until someone realized SHELL ROTELLA could be used as it had the zinc and was rated for gasoline and/or diesel.

Then SHELL changed the ROTELLA formula and removed the zinc. This was for newer diesel (roller and particulate traps). The old product was still available in 5 GAL containers for older fleet use. Not many caught onto this and I tired of the constant food fights.

This is where the old wives tales still come into play. There are now many formulated oils for flat tappet usage.
KULTULZ

In your opinion, what are the top three motor oils for use in our Y-Block engines? For those of us who are not so informed on the various characteristics of the many oils available, it would be a big help to us to just have a list of the best oils to use. Since I am not so oil knowledgeable, I trust the opinion of those that do have the knowledge and experience. Thanks for everybody's help!
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

IMO ...

There are many refiners that have released the modified oil for use in older flat tappet engines. TED EATON prefers VALVOLINE. With all the modifications he does and they live, consider that route.

BRAD PENN also  makes a good product, again IMO.

What you have to worry about now is viscosity. Oil does three things mainly, lubricates, cools and cleans/holds suspended particulates. And you have to use a high quality filter, not a WALLY WORLD off-shore version.

EDIT -

Maybe his page will help as I am not a good teacher- https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/racing-oil-faq

You have to be aware of what you are buying as a true racing oil is meant for a competition engine only, not street, as there may be far less detergent/dispersant packages as race oil may be changed on a much more frequent basis. You need an oil to make the engine live on the street.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Please go to Florida_Phil's latest post under 1970 Boss 302 thread.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter