Profile Picture

Bellhousing Question

Posted By Vic Correnti 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 days ago
I am wondering if any of the car type bellhousings are larger radially to have more space for the clutch closer to the transmission mounting face?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

ponymare
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I would think larger trucks would have bigger bellhousings for use of larger heavier disks and pressure plates, but longer bellhousings would move the trans back from the flywheel loosing the pilot bearing input specs.
Vic Correnti
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

I need clearance at the circumference at the rear of the clutch plate. I'm not too familiar with the truck bellhousings but the fork is quite different.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I don't know what you are working with, but maybe you have the wrong clutch or flywheel. I can't imagine the correct parts not fitting. 
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I doubt if Vic is using stock parts since I assume his is talking abut his race T-Bird.. I can probably dig you up a truck bell housing if you want to try it.. My guess based on the Lincoln version is that trucks are bigger dia..  
Vic Correnti
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Royce knows me too well, I have a big block toploader in my bird that I drive on the street as well as drag race it. I think I have found a long style setup that might work that is fully adjustable, has a controled slip at the launch, light peddle pressure and centrifugal counter weights at higher RPM. Royce I might take you up on the bellhousing after I get some comments here if there is a chance it's roomier and I'll see if the clutch manufacturer has any ideas. A "Street/Strip" clutch is not an easy combo.

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
I doubt if Vic is using stock parts since I assume his is talking abut his race T-Bird

Wouldn't you want a shield if racing?

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Vic, the truck bellhousings have more room inside, but as mentioned above, they are longer than passenger car.  Also, they have engine mounting pads on the lower sides that may cause interferenge with the Bird frame.  Of course, they could be trimmed off.  On larger trucks they have a larger hole for the front snout casting, and the bolt pattern is that of the HD transmissions, different than the passenger/light truck.  Your toploader won't bolt up directly, and the input shaft will be about an inch too short.  Trucks have a longer input shaft than passenger cars. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Vic Correnti
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have a 1/4 inch thick shield that encloses the entire stock bellhousing radially. I would like the Quicktime one but they are pretty pricey with adding in the flywheel and starter in too. Also I understand they are not a direct bolt in and I would not be able to pull the clutch anymore without removing the bellhousing.
Thanks John that's what I needed to know and didn't want to hear.
If the clutch manufacturer can't help me out I may make a 1/4 - 3/8 inch spacer between the block and bellhousing and if need be make a special pilot bushing. Is anyone using a quicktime that can answer some questions?

Genuinerod
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You will have to use the FE flywheel and starter if using quicktime bell.  I checked into it several years ago and was told that you could not use the Y-Block flywheel but a redrilled FE flywheel was required which they sell.  Too much for me.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter