Bellhousing Question

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic148776.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Vic Correnti - 5 Years Ago
I am wondering if any of the car type bellhousings are larger radially to have more space for the clutch closer to the transmission mounting face?
By ponymare - 5 Years Ago
I would think larger trucks would have bigger bellhousings for use of larger heavier disks and pressure plates, but longer bellhousings would move the trans back from the flywheel loosing the pilot bearing input specs.
I need clearance at the circumference at the rear of the clutch plate. I'm not too familiar with the truck bellhousings but the fork is quite different.
By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
I don't know what you are working with, but maybe you have the wrong clutch or flywheel. I can't imagine the correct parts not fitting. 
By RB - 5 Years Ago
I doubt if Vic is using stock parts since I assume his is talking abut his race T-Bird.. I can probably dig you up a truck bell housing if you want to try it.. My guess based on the Lincoln version is that trucks are bigger dia..  
Royce knows me too well, I have a big block toploader in my bird that I drive on the street as well as drag race it. I think I have found a long style setup that might work that is fully adjustable, has a controled slip at the launch, light peddle pressure and centrifugal counter weights at higher RPM. Royce I might take you up on the bellhousing after I get some comments here if there is a chance it's roomier and I'll see if the clutch manufacturer has any ideas. A "Street/Strip" clutch is not an easy combo.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
I doubt if Vic is using stock parts since I assume his is talking abut his race T-Bird

Wouldn't you want a shield if racing?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 5 Years Ago
Vic, the truck bellhousings have more room inside, but as mentioned above, they are longer than passenger car.  Also, they have engine mounting pads on the lower sides that may cause interferenge with the Bird frame.  Of course, they could be trimmed off.  On larger trucks they have a larger hole for the front snout casting, and the bolt pattern is that of the HD transmissions, different than the passenger/light truck.  Your toploader won't bolt up directly, and the input shaft will be about an inch too short.  Trucks have a longer input shaft than passenger cars. 
I have a 1/4 inch thick shield that encloses the entire stock bellhousing radially. I would like the Quicktime one but they are pretty pricey with adding in the flywheel and starter in too. Also I understand they are not a direct bolt in and I would not be able to pull the clutch anymore without removing the bellhousing.
Thanks John that's what I needed to know and didn't want to hear.
If the clutch manufacturer can't help me out I may make a 1/4 - 3/8 inch spacer between the block and bellhousing and if need be make a special pilot bushing. Is anyone using a quicktime that can answer some questions?
By Genuinerod - 5 Years Ago
You will have to use the FE flywheel and starter if using quicktime bell.  I checked into it several years ago and was told that you could not use the Y-Block flywheel but a redrilled FE flywheel was required which they sell.  Too much for me.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Genuinerod (11/3/2019)
You will have to use the FE flywheel and starter if using quicktime bell.  I checked into it several years ago and was told that you could not use the Y-Block flywheel but a redrilled FE flywheel was required which they sell.  Too much for me.

The Quicktime bellhousing I have for a Y uses a SBF flywheel machined and drilled for the Y crankshaft and uses a 4.6L V8 Ford starter.

Vic.  While I have a number of pickup and truck bellhousings for the Y, shipping might be expensive.  Just the same, you’re welcome to what you need just for the cost of shipping.  Just let me know.  Ted.
Thanks Ted, I'll know more once I talk to Ram and see if they have any ideas.
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
For What it is worth the truck bellhousing uses a different fork that pivots on a screw in ball and would need to be converted some how to use the passenger car fork.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
TED EATON Posted -

The Quicktime bellhousing I have for a Y uses a SBF flywheel machined and drilled for the Y crankshaft and uses a 4.6L V8 Ford starter.

Was this offered as a package (fabricated/special order I assume) or did you modify the flywheel yourself and if so which SBF flywheel was used?

THANX! for sharing ...
By Oldmics - 5 Years Ago
Based on the reviews here and other places it appears that the Quicktime is a P.I.T.A. situation to install . Its been mentioned several places as grinding the block is necessary to install those bell housings.

Like many I value my feet and toes and want to put the best protection between myself and miscellaneous flying debris at reasonable cost.

I stumbled upon this
https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/ford/products/fo1001901-ford-y-block-to-sbf-manual-trans

That allows the use of a small block Ford bell housing.
Problem is that between this adaptor and the purchase of a blow proof you have a pretty hefty investment into this setup.

But again what are your tootsies worth?
Just thought I would put it out there and see what you guys think.

I think Vic has the best cost effective solution with the use of the steel plate.

Here"s a review of additional kits availiable along with some pictures.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm

Oldmics

By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Oldmics (11/4/2019)
Based on the reviews here and other places it appears that the Quicktime is a P.I.T.A. situation to install . Its been mentioned several places as grinding the block is necessary to install those bell housings. .....

The earlier Quicktime Y bell housings required some grinding on the block and the starters to accommodate the larger diameter starters.  My QT bell housing is one of the newer ones that has been built to accommodate using the Ford 4.6L starters which are much smaller in diameter and thus clear the block without issue.

KULTULZ (11/4/2019)

TED EATON Posted -

The Quicktime bell housing I have for a Y uses a SBF flywheel machined and drilled for the Y crankshaft and uses a 4.6L V8 Ford starter.

Was this offered as a package (fabricated/special order I assume) or did you modify the flywheel yourself and if so which SBF flywheel was used?

THANX! for sharing ...

While the flywheel was supplied by Quick Time with the bell housing, it is a 164 tooth SBF flywheel that had the center hole and crankshaft bolt pattern machined into it in lieu of the SBF hole and bolt pattern.  It would appear that a standard SBF 164 tooth flywheel could have the center hole machined larger to fit the Y while the Y bolt pattern can interspersed both between and slightly outside the existing SBF holes.  It would need to be neutral balanced so starting off with an aftermarket flywheel would make that easier from the git go assuming it has the bolt on 24 or 50 ounce counter weight that can be easily removed.  The starter came from the local parts store.

By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
While the flywheel was supplied by Quick Time with the bell housing, it is a 164 tooth SBF flywheel that had the center hole and crankshaft bolt pattern machined into it in lieu of the SBF hole and bolt pattern. 

THANX AGAIN TED!

With a proper block plate, all should be well.
By Larry Short - 5 Years Ago
When I put the Quick Time bell on the 56 we used a 302 Ford ring gear and cut the Y Block flywheel down to fit. I also used a Diaphragm Clutch that is lower profile than the three finger. I was afraid of using a diaphragm type think  
it wouldn't hold, but was wrong (and believe me I'm never wrong) Larry 
By Larry Short - 5 Years Ago
By the way I wished it would have slipped, might have save me two rear end replacements and a red face or two ! Larry 
By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
Larry, what make, model and part number of diaphragm clutch do you have? I think I need to go to a stronger clutch and there are a million choices out there with prices all over the map. The trans is a T5 from a 90 Mustang GT, Mummert flywheel drilled for a 10.5" 10 spline clutch. Thanks very much in advance, JEFF..................
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Jeff,
Since you have Mummert's flywheel, go with a Mustang clutch.  I'm using a Centerforce Dual Friction, which is overkill for my ~300hp engine but the pedal is really light for the amount of power it is supposed to be able to hold.  By comparison, I have a Mcleod in my Firebird, which is supposed to be about a step up from stock, "for bolt on mods," which I take to mean not much more than 300hp, if that and that clutch is noticeably stiffer.

The Dual Friction is toward the higher end for a street clutch but I think it's worth the cost, if the engine produces higher than stock power and you like to be comfortable.

If for your truck, I also suggest going with a hydraulic throwout bearing setup.  I had a lot of trouble using the mechanical linkage with the thinner diaphragm clutch and smaller throwout bearing that I believe was related to the geometry of the clutch fork.  If that is correct, it might also be solved by having an adjustable pivot bolt made.
How is the clutch fork on a car bellhousing held in place? I never needed to do that for a long time until now I am going to a long style pressure plate. I remember maybe a pin of some kind.
Thanks Charlie for the reply. That's what I wanted to see. Center Force dual friction and not too heavy on the pedal. I indeed have a Mustang clutch but I noticed there is slight slipping when pulling fairly hard in 2nd gear.  I assume this is also a Mustang clutch you are running with your T5. Do you know the part number of the kit?  It gets a little overwhelming when trying to select a Mustang clutch as there are so many choices and of course every mfg. claims to be the best. I haven't had any issues with the mechanical clutch linkage, so for now, will leave that alone. I'll now see what Center Force has to offer. Thanks again, JEFF....................
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Yes, it is a Dual Friction for Mustang that I have.  The one I got was DF021048, in 2008, but that part number does not seem to exist anymore.  $309.95 back then.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/ctf-df021048/overview/
By suede57ford - 5 Years Ago
I use a Mummert Billet Flywheel drilled for Mustang 5.0 Clutch.  I use the Centerforce Dual Friction 5.0 Fox Body Mustang Clutch as well.   I really like it.   Super easy to drive on the street, and just plain sticks at the track with slicks. It's more pedal pressure than a stock clutch, but the extra pressure is not an issue in heavy traffic.  This modern clutch has never chattered and is smooth as silk.   I tried other brands of 5.0 performance clutches, but the CF Dual Friction is by far the best I've had in all aspects. I left the stock return spring on the pedal.

I've tried both the Stock Weight Billet Flywheel and the Lightened Billet Flywheel.   Small cubes(292) with a more aggressive cam you may need the heavy flywheel around town.  Once you go stroker or larger cubes the light version still drives fine but it does rev faster.
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences with the CF dual friction clutch, like, priceless.  It's on this winter to do list now that I know what works best. Thanks, JEFF..................
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
clutch fork on a car bellhousing held in place? I never needed to do that for a long time until now I am going to a long style pressure plate. I remember maybe a pin of some kind.     

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5c2130cf-1318-4096-8e67-775d.jpg
Thanks for the view of the clutch fork wire retainer, I vaguely remember it. I'll see if I can find one.