Profile Picture

Bellhousing Question

Posted By Vic Correnti 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Genuinerod (11/3/2019)
You will have to use the FE flywheel and starter if using quicktime bell.  I checked into it several years ago and was told that you could not use the Y-Block flywheel but a redrilled FE flywheel was required which they sell.  Too much for me.

The Quicktime bellhousing I have for a Y uses a SBF flywheel machined and drilled for the Y crankshaft and uses a 4.6L V8 Ford starter.

Vic.  While I have a number of pickup and truck bellhousings for the Y, shipping might be expensive.  Just the same, you’re welcome to what you need just for the cost of shipping.  Just let me know.  Ted.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Vic Correnti
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks Ted, I'll know more once I talk to Ram and see if they have any ideas.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
For What it is worth the truck bellhousing uses a different fork that pivots on a screw in ball and would need to be converted some how to use the passenger car fork.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
TED EATON Posted -

The Quicktime bellhousing I have for a Y uses a SBF flywheel machined and drilled for the Y crankshaft and uses a 4.6L V8 Ford starter.

Was this offered as a package (fabricated/special order I assume) or did you modify the flywheel yourself and if so which SBF flywheel was used?

THANX! for sharing ...

Oldmics
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Based on the reviews here and other places it appears that the Quicktime is a P.I.T.A. situation to install . Its been mentioned several places as grinding the block is necessary to install those bell housings.

Like many I value my feet and toes and want to put the best protection between myself and miscellaneous flying debris at reasonable cost.

I stumbled upon this
https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/ford/products/fo1001901-ford-y-block-to-sbf-manual-trans

That allows the use of a small block Ford bell housing.
Problem is that between this adaptor and the purchase of a blow proof you have a pretty hefty investment into this setup.

But again what are your tootsies worth?
Just thought I would put it out there and see what you guys think.

I think Vic has the best cost effective solution with the use of the steel plate.

Here"s a review of additional kits availiable along with some pictures.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm

Oldmics

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Oldmics (11/4/2019)
Based on the reviews here and other places it appears that the Quicktime is a P.I.T.A. situation to install . Its been mentioned several places as grinding the block is necessary to install those bell housings. .....

The earlier Quicktime Y bell housings required some grinding on the block and the starters to accommodate the larger diameter starters.  My QT bell housing is one of the newer ones that has been built to accommodate using the Ford 4.6L starters which are much smaller in diameter and thus clear the block without issue.

KULTULZ (11/4/2019)

TED EATON Posted -

The Quicktime bell housing I have for a Y uses a SBF flywheel machined and drilled for the Y crankshaft and uses a 4.6L V8 Ford starter.

Was this offered as a package (fabricated/special order I assume) or did you modify the flywheel yourself and if so which SBF flywheel was used?

THANX! for sharing ...

While the flywheel was supplied by Quick Time with the bell housing, it is a 164 tooth SBF flywheel that had the center hole and crankshaft bolt pattern machined into it in lieu of the SBF hole and bolt pattern.  It would appear that a standard SBF 164 tooth flywheel could have the center hole machined larger to fit the Y while the Y bolt pattern can interspersed both between and slightly outside the existing SBF holes.  It would need to be neutral balanced so starting off with an aftermarket flywheel would make that easier from the git go assuming it has the bolt on 24 or 50 ounce counter weight that can be easily removed.  The starter came from the local parts store.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
While the flywheel was supplied by Quick Time with the bell housing, it is a 164 tooth SBF flywheel that had the center hole and crankshaft bolt pattern machined into it in lieu of the SBF hole and bolt pattern. 

THANX AGAIN TED!

With a proper block plate, all should be well.

Larry Short
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
When I put the Quick Time bell on the 56 we used a 302 Ford ring gear and cut the Y Block flywheel down to fit. I also used a Diaphragm Clutch that is lower profile than the three finger. I was afraid of using a diaphragm type think  
it wouldn't hold, but was wrong (and believe me I'm never wrong) Larry 
Larry Short
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
By the way I wished it would have slipped, might have save me two rear end replacements and a red face or two ! Larry 
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Larry, what make, model and part number of diaphragm clutch do you have? I think I need to go to a stronger clutch and there are a million choices out there with prices all over the map. The trans is a T5 from a 90 Mustang GT, Mummert flywheel drilled for a 10.5" 10 spline clutch. Thanks very much in advance, JEFF..................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter