Profile Picture

seen on u-tube

Posted By stuey 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Ooops  I stupidly commented on Dorton's involvement without looking at the video..Apologies to Randy Dorton..  That said.. I see Missed opportunities to make simple power improvements, and wasted time and energy fixing a non existent problem for a stock rebuild.  The most egregious thing I saw was reusing those pole barn nail pushrods..Power results were dismal for all the work expended on the engine... I dynoed a bone stock 58 292 and made 215 horse with a 2bbl...  Of course G heads probably helped quite a bit...
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
watched this video several times now.just noticed the vacuum is not hooked up at all.he set it up like a later dist probably around14 which would be fine if it was a 57.thats everything this poor thing would get no wonder it bogged.the 55 dist is all wrong but it would get a little here and there.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
You're right.  I had not noticed.  That just shows that he's even more clueless but it's probably best that it wasn't hooked up.

Makes me question what they were checking with the timing light.  I guess if they were only setting initial or max, they would not notice that it's not advancing.

Lawrenceville, GA
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
its hard to believe it made 215 hp.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Based on that 215 HP number, I suspect the ignition timing was set in the neighborhood of 38° which with that distributor not being hooked up to vacuum would have been also the total timing.  That 215 HP number is probably about right for that engine with the heads and camshaft taken into consideration.  I did a restoration of a 1955 292 with an original camshaft and Teapot carb that made 190+ HP.  The upgraded intake and carburetor would have helped to increase the power output.  While that engine performed okay on the dyno, that original LOM distributor is going to be a major problem with overall drivability once the engine is in the vehicle.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

LordMrFord
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted (10/22/2019)
paul2748 (10/21/2019)
I was looking at the head gaskets, and it looks like they are on wrong - couldn't see the square in the upper front corner.  Bad eyes?

That right side head gasket was installed correctly in the video.  It’s a specialty multi-layer gasket (Cometic?) .
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost134537.aspx

He’s not only giving the Y a black eye, he’s giving himself one.

Cometic has no head gasket for Y-Block.
Or did not have couple years ago.

Hyvinkää, FI
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
LordMrFord (11/3/2019)

Ted (10/22/2019)
paul2748 (10/21/2019)
I was looking at the head gaskets, and it looks like they are on wrong - couldn't see the square in the upper front corner.  Bad eyes?

That right side head gasket was installed correctly in the video.  It’s a specialty multi-layer gasket (Cometic?) .
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost134537.aspx

He’s not only giving the Y a black eye, he’s giving himself one.

Cometic has no head gasket for Y-Block.
Or did not have couple years ago.

While Cometic no longer shows the Y head gasket in their catalog, they may still be available as a special order item.  I’ve used them but they do have some issues with top end oiling on the left bank that requires modifying the gaskets for that bank.  Here’s the link to a previous discussion showing the older Cometic catalog page that references the Ford Y MLS gaskets.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost119041.aspx 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter