Profile Picture

seen on u-tube

Posted By stuey 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
You'll have to show me that one.  Never knew Ted to use one of those.  Not saying your wrong, just doesn't figure.

KULTULZ (10/21/2019)
This was a stock rebuild with a few modifications. What did you find objectionable?

The LOM DIST was retained most likely as for an original appearance/cost of tach drive DUAL ADVANCE replacement. The DIST can be modified to deliver proper performance. TED EATON retained the LOM DIST on his 1955 P-CODE 292 rebuild.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I was looking at the head gaskets, and it looks like they are on wrong - couldn't see the square in the upper front corner.  Bad eyes?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 minutes ago
The gaskets look round on all 4 corners.  The cooling passage was correct.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
paul2748 (10/21/2019)
You'll have to show me that one.  Never knew Ted to use one of those.  Not saying your wrong, just doesn't figure.

Surely-

It’s now just a matter of taking care of the little details before installing the engine on the dyno. Some of those details include checking out the Load-O-Matic distributor with its new breaker points and related parts, new spark plugs and wires, replacement wire looms,

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2019/03/17/new-life-for-a-1955-p-code-292-police-engine/ 

He does more than HP.

Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

It seems that anytime a visually well-done video comes out or maybe some trusted "guru" engine builder publishes a rotten banana like this, the uninformed public go ga-ga. At times the Y block crowd itself can be fleeced. I was surprised at what I have seen on the Facebook Y Block group postings. Those of us that respond with truth are in the minority. Last night, when I clicked on the link to the video again, it looked as if certain people like us had their comments deleted from the conversations and replies underneath the video. These builders in the video are the experts and no doubt all wisdom shall die with them! Rolleyes

Beyond the carb/distributor mismatch the most egregious part of the video is when this "horsepower monster" builder holds up a oil return tube from one of the rocker arm assemblies and admits he has no idea what it is for so he will just get rid of it. w00t A cursory examination will reveal the flow of oil back to the timing gears up front and to the distributor gear in the rear. A lot of us may make modifications in this area of course, but I found that pretty revealing as to the level of "expertise" of that builder. Finding out that his previous Y block build could not put out the power like we have seen many, many lesser-known builders do with a Y just goes to show this builders knowledge of a proper Y block build is somewhat of a farce. 

The main problem here is that this YouTube channel is titled "horsepower monster" and puts out a video like that, knowing full well that that it is a stock rebuild (if that). Thousands of people subscribe to the channel and from the comments below the video they are highly unfamiliar with the Y block. 

Sad state of affairs, the misinformation continues.

I don't want this builder touching any of my Y blocks - no thanks.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 minutes ago
In the defense of the channel, I did see in another comment that this build was done in order to contrast with a high performance build that should be coming soon.  I'm sure that build will fall short.  Maybe he'll listen.  Probably not.  That can be a problem with dealing with a pro, not discrediting Keith Dorton for he has shown what he can do with the things he knows, but sometimes they just won't listen to others because they've been doing it for so long and think they just know better.

I'm not sure that they are deleting comments.  I noticed, for whatever reason, I see some different comments when I'm logged into YouTube than when I am not.  It could just be a YouTube glitch.  I thought they had deleted mine because I did not see it when logged out but I logged back in and it was there.

I did see yours but have not seen it again.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
paul2748 (10/21/2019)
I was looking at the head gaskets, and it looks like they are on wrong - couldn't see the square in the upper front corner.  Bad eyes?

That right side head gasket was installed correctly in the video.  It’s a specialty multi-layer gasket (Cometic?) and the pictured head gasket only has one oil hole instead of two like the normal Y head gaskets.  That’s a screw up by the gasket manufacturer in not making the head gasket such that it could be used on both banks.  As such, a left and right head gasket is required by that gasket manufacturer to make a usable pair for the Ford Y.  The key on those gaskets besides making sure the top end oil hole in the deck is aligned with the head gasket is insuring that the blocked water passage is at the front of the gasket and not at the rear.

It’s a shame that there are shops out there working on engines they are not familiar with.  In that YouTube video, that’s the same engine builder (Keith Dorton) that did the dismally performing fuel injected ‘300HP’ aluminum headed Y over a year ago that was published in Hot Rod Magazine.  Here’s the link where the YBF forum members commented on that particular engine build.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost134537.aspx

He’s not only giving the Y a black eye, he’s giving himself one.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I would bet money Keith Dorton never touched this engine.. My guess it was farmed to one of his employees, probably a young guy with the least experience in the shop.. If Keith Dorton does actual engine building any more it would be for his mega dollar customers..That said his name is on that piece, although, I doubt he much cares what the Y block community thinks as long as his customer thinks he got a good piece.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
... but the intake/heads combination seems wrong.  The heads appear to be for a 1955  272, though they could be original to the car.

Good catch but they are most likely to match the 272 block (ECG).

Somebody is tricking somebody or has been tricked at some point.

pegleg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Sad commentary on Dorton then. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter