http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic148596.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By stuey - 5 Years Ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB_Q9qpvnL0  

stuey
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Full of misinformation.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
55 dist,on newer carb.not one person that posted saw it.i was going to post but impossable.
I commented on several things, including the distributor.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
This was a stock rebuild with a few modifications. What did you find objectionable?

The LOM DIST was retained most likely as for an original appearance/cost of tach drive DUAL ADVANCE replacement. The DIST can be modified to deliver proper performance. TED EATON retained the LOM DIST on his 1955 P-CODE 292 rebuild.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
55 dist,on newer carb.not one person that posted saw it.i was going to post but impossable.   

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies2/sad2.gif

Including this dumb SOB ...

I saw the MUMMERT INTAKE. I did not connect the later carb with the advance signal. My bad. I will stand down.

If one is doing a purely stock rebuild for a street driver, why an ALUM INTAKE, with no heat riser provision yet? The engine was not modified for deeper breathing or high RPM.

Maybe an '56 A or '57 B INTAKE with adapter for the H4000 (with choke modifications) or a BLUE THUNDER?

in addition to the distributor, the unnecessary oiling modifications, stating that the head gaskets are specific to the left or right side, stating the wrong bore diameter, not knowing what the over flow tubes do, very likely incorrect combustion chamber volume.  That's what I can remember
I'll acknowledge that some of it is nit-picky but if you look at the comments, there seem to be a lot of newbs who are taking it as irrefutable fact, particularly since someone of note, Keith Dorton, is doing the build.  In this regard, any errors are bad.  Any errors are bad, no matter who is involved but if it was just some random guy that no one has heard of, they might be more hesitant to believe it.  They also referenced his previous build which came up far short of the power it should have produced considering the work and parts involved.  If they look that one up, that adds to the bad ideas / advice.
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
When someone is tagged or volunteers to do an article on any specific engine they should at least be informed about the engine they choose. This article was pretty much the same error filled stuff we could read in the 50's. I'm sure the intake was "eye candy" and was given no real thought as far as flow. Maybe easier than trying to source the later style intake for the carb upgrade. I'd love to see one of our enlightened and informed Y's guys write an article like this but with the real truths about our favorite engine.
By dbird - 5 Years Ago
The distributor was my first thought, but the intake/heads combination seems wrong.  The heads appear to be for a 1955  272, though they could be original to the car.  However, spending the money for a high dollar rebuild and not getting better breathing heads with ports that would better match up to the intake seems wrong, especially if I were looking at it and thinking it had the wrong heads on it anyway.  

Don
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
in addition to the distributor, the unnecessary oiling modifications, stating that the head gaskets are specific to the left or right side, stating the wrong bore diameter, not knowing what the over flow tubes do, very likely incorrect combustion chamber volume.  That's what I can remember

You're right ...

I must be retaining water this week ...
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
You'll have to show me that one.  Never knew Ted to use one of those.  Not saying your wrong, just doesn't figure.

KULTULZ (10/21/2019)
This was a stock rebuild with a few modifications. What did you find objectionable?

The LOM DIST was retained most likely as for an original appearance/cost of tach drive DUAL ADVANCE replacement. The DIST can be modified to deliver proper performance. TED EATON retained the LOM DIST on his 1955 P-CODE 292 rebuild.

By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
I was looking at the head gaskets, and it looks like they are on wrong - couldn't see the square in the upper front corner.  Bad eyes?
The gaskets look round on all 4 corners.  The cooling passage was correct.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
paul2748 (10/21/2019)
You'll have to show me that one.  Never knew Ted to use one of those.  Not saying your wrong, just doesn't figure.

Surely-

It’s now just a matter of taking care of the little details before installing the engine on the dyno. Some of those details include checking out the Load-O-Matic distributor with its new breaker points and related parts, new spark plugs and wires, replacement wire looms,

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2019/03/17/new-life-for-a-1955-p-code-292-police-engine/ 

He does more than HP.

By Daniel Jessup - 5 Years Ago
It seems that anytime a visually well-done video comes out or maybe some trusted "guru" engine builder publishes a rotten banana like this, the uninformed public go ga-ga. At times the Y block crowd itself can be fleeced. I was surprised at what I have seen on the Facebook Y Block group postings. Those of us that respond with truth are in the minority. Last night, when I clicked on the link to the video again, it looked as if certain people like us had their comments deleted from the conversations and replies underneath the video. These builders in the video are the experts and no doubt all wisdom shall die with them! Rolleyes

Beyond the carb/distributor mismatch the most egregious part of the video is when this "horsepower monster" builder holds up a oil return tube from one of the rocker arm assemblies and admits he has no idea what it is for so he will just get rid of it. w00t A cursory examination will reveal the flow of oil back to the timing gears up front and to the distributor gear in the rear. A lot of us may make modifications in this area of course, but I found that pretty revealing as to the level of "expertise" of that builder. Finding out that his previous Y block build could not put out the power like we have seen many, many lesser-known builders do with a Y just goes to show this builders knowledge of a proper Y block build is somewhat of a farce. 

The main problem here is that this YouTube channel is titled "horsepower monster" and puts out a video like that, knowing full well that that it is a stock rebuild (if that). Thousands of people subscribe to the channel and from the comments below the video they are highly unfamiliar with the Y block. 

Sad state of affairs, the misinformation continues.

I don't want this builder touching any of my Y blocks - no thanks.
In the defense of the channel, I did see in another comment that this build was done in order to contrast with a high performance build that should be coming soon.  I'm sure that build will fall short.  Maybe he'll listen.  Probably not.  That can be a problem with dealing with a pro, not discrediting Keith Dorton for he has shown what he can do with the things he knows, but sometimes they just won't listen to others because they've been doing it for so long and think they just know better.

I'm not sure that they are deleting comments.  I noticed, for whatever reason, I see some different comments when I'm logged into YouTube than when I am not.  It could just be a YouTube glitch.  I thought they had deleted mine because I did not see it when logged out but I logged back in and it was there.

I did see yours but have not seen it again.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
paul2748 (10/21/2019)
I was looking at the head gaskets, and it looks like they are on wrong - couldn't see the square in the upper front corner.  Bad eyes?

That right side head gasket was installed correctly in the video.  It’s a specialty multi-layer gasket (Cometic?) and the pictured head gasket only has one oil hole instead of two like the normal Y head gaskets.  That’s a screw up by the gasket manufacturer in not making the head gasket such that it could be used on both banks.  As such, a left and right head gasket is required by that gasket manufacturer to make a usable pair for the Ford Y.  The key on those gaskets besides making sure the top end oil hole in the deck is aligned with the head gasket is insuring that the blocked water passage is at the front of the gasket and not at the rear.

It’s a shame that there are shops out there working on engines they are not familiar with.  In that YouTube video, that’s the same engine builder (Keith Dorton) that did the dismally performing fuel injected ‘300HP’ aluminum headed Y over a year ago that was published in Hot Rod Magazine.  Here’s the link where the YBF forum members commented on that particular engine build.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost134537.aspx

He’s not only giving the Y a black eye, he’s giving himself one.

By RB - 5 Years Ago
I would bet money Keith Dorton never touched this engine.. My guess it was farmed to one of his employees, probably a young guy with the least experience in the shop.. If Keith Dorton does actual engine building any more it would be for his mega dollar customers..That said his name is on that piece, although, I doubt he much cares what the Y block community thinks as long as his customer thinks he got a good piece.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
... but the intake/heads combination seems wrong.  The heads appear to be for a 1955  272, though they could be original to the car.

Good catch but they are most likely to match the 272 block (ECG).

Somebody is tricking somebody or has been tricked at some point.
By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
Sad commentary on Dorton then. 
By RB - 5 Years Ago
Ooops  I stupidly commented on Dorton's involvement without looking at the video..Apologies to Randy Dorton..  That said.. I see Missed opportunities to make simple power improvements, and wasted time and energy fixing a non existent problem for a stock rebuild.  The most egregious thing I saw was reusing those pole barn nail pushrods..Power results were dismal for all the work expended on the engine... I dynoed a bone stock 58 292 and made 215 horse with a 2bbl...  Of course G heads probably helped quite a bit...
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
watched this video several times now.just noticed the vacuum is not hooked up at all.he set it up like a later dist probably around14 which would be fine if it was a 57.thats everything this poor thing would get no wonder it bogged.the 55 dist is all wrong but it would get a little here and there.
You're right.  I had not noticed.  That just shows that he's even more clueless but it's probably best that it wasn't hooked up.

Makes me question what they were checking with the timing light.  I guess if they were only setting initial or max, they would not notice that it's not advancing.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
its hard to believe it made 215 hp.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Based on that 215 HP number, I suspect the ignition timing was set in the neighborhood of 38° which with that distributor not being hooked up to vacuum would have been also the total timing.  That 215 HP number is probably about right for that engine with the heads and camshaft taken into consideration.  I did a restoration of a 1955 292 with an original camshaft and Teapot carb that made 190+ HP.  The upgraded intake and carburetor would have helped to increase the power output.  While that engine performed okay on the dyno, that original LOM distributor is going to be a major problem with overall drivability once the engine is in the vehicle.
By LordMrFord - 5 Years Ago
Ted (10/22/2019)
paul2748 (10/21/2019)

That right side head gasket was installed correctly in the video.  It’s a specialty multi-layer gasket (Cometic?) .

Cometic has no head gasket for Y-Block.
Or did not have couple years ago.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
LordMrFord (11/3/2019)

Ted (10/22/2019)
paul2748 (10/21/2019)

That right side head gasket was installed correctly in the video.  It’s a specialty multi-layer gasket (Cometic?) .

Cometic has no head gasket for Y-Block.
Or did not have couple years ago.

While Cometic no longer shows the Y head gasket in their catalog, they may still be available as a special order item.  I’ve used them but they do have some issues with top end oiling on the left bank that requires modifying the gaskets for that bank.  Here’s the link to a previous discussion showing the older Cometic catalog page that references the Ford Y MLS gaskets.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost119041.aspx