Profile Picture

Help Finding a Intake Gasket that Fits

Posted By mytoolman 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Good Saturday Morning All! I hope you are all well.
 I am in the middle of dealing with a weird issue I had with a recently replaced head gasket and freshly machined left head that leaked coolant out of the rear corner of the head right above the #8 spark plug. I am still not completely sure why my previous attempt produced that result...I found no head gasket issues or cracks in my new head etc...I did find I had installed the spark plug wire loom  at an angle so that one of its two tabs for the bracket  that act to keep the spark plug wire organizer block in position was cocked so that one tab was above the deck surface. I put that spark plug wire loom assembly on before I installed that head because I had a clear shot at it since the head was not in the way...Its my contention since the leak was RIGHT THERE that that is what was wrong... My vehicle is named Ethyl. She is a 1955 Ford C600 2 ton COE that I use when she is drivable as a Tool Truck I am a former Matco Dealer and for the Past 3 years have been running Ethyl as an independent.
 I had everything back together Thursday hoping to see I had fixed my original leak issue from my prior head gasket work. On initial start up...My 272 y block wanted to act like it was Full Throttle....Long and short of it was I had installed intake manifold gaskets that did NOT FIT...I have yet to find some that do....I have what came with the engine set from Best Gaskets that are their part number 14045. I have the felpro ones for a 272 and they fit the same as the Best product. I have a NOS Gasket set for the 272 and both of its intake gasket offerings fit like all the others already mentioned...
The intake is a cast iron OE type. Its a TWO Barrel that a Teapot sits on. Stamped on it is EBZ-9425-D the block is stamped so that one believes it is a 272. Is this intake from a  256 or a 239? Does anyone have a way to check what is stamped to see what is what? Meanwhile I called BEST GASKET COMPANY and they have Three part numbers for Y Block intakes...I ordered the other Two I havent tried yet...the one for the 239 and the one for the 256....I am not wanting to find out MONDAY if this is going to fix my issue I would rather get the jump start on it today....if anyone can assist here....
WHAT ENDED UP FIXING THIS ISSUE or Summary of solve... 1. iT TURNS OUT I have the 256cid Y Block  circa 1954  and then into LATE 1956 SMALL PORT  INTAKE MANIFOLD(stamp "EBZ"). There is ALSO a small port intake from prior to what I have for the 239 cid Y Block but that manifold would be stamped with EB"V" and the 239 is clearly different in configuration. The 256 and 272 are similar enough that in my opinion you could make an error and choose the wrong gasket if you dont know any better or dont check well enough. The  engine gasket set I used originally that allowed the massive intake leak FROM BEST Gasket Company  ONLY CONTAINED the LARGER PORT ones from after LATE 1956(I thought I had a 272 so they gave me the set for a 272. 2. I have learned that the heads I have are for a 256 cid Y Block and NOT the 272 NOTE I am not sure if the HEAD ports for the 256 and 272  are the same or NOT  once again my heads are 256. My Block DOES HAVE a CASTING NUMBER THAT shows it to be a 272 that is what threw me here and caused me to order the incorrect gaskets set. The jury is out as to why my block is a 272 with 256 heads and intake. My truck was manufactured in DECEMBER 1955 so because it was late in the year Ford may have used 272 blocks for some reason(maybe they ran out of 256 blocks). One day I might have access to the front of the engine where there are other numbers present.  I am told that those numbers likely will shed more information on what is what regarding this 272 block and it being in a truck where that 272 is NOT the absolute norm for the year make and model it is. I can not also know if someone else has changed out the engine here....lots of things can happen over 60 years.
The following posts in this thread contain a ton of information that is valuable...even though I have summarized the fix for this concern, I do still suggest you look at each post following.... there may be a nugget of info that will answer some nuance you may be experiencing...I know I have found one sentence in instructional posts that in the past have reached out and grabbed me luckily that absolutely were the difference between continuing to chase my tail and actually solving what I was trying to solve.

Gary Z. "ETTT=Ethyl*THE*Tool Truck" 1955 C600 272cid Y block T98 Eaton 1350 / "Brutus" 1972 F250 360cid FE C6 Camper Special Cust Sport/ "Edith" 1955 C600 restomod on a 2002 E550 Chassis 7.3 Powerstroke EOD/"Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL
Attachments
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Unless someone knows different, there are only two types of YBlock intake gaskets, small port and large port.  Late 56 and up YBlocks had the larger ports.  Your heads have the small ports and your gaskets look to be for the big ports. My Felpro gasket sets included both.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 20 minutes ago
From the pictures, your intake looks like a small port, 1954 manifold.  The number for the intake will be 9425, not 8420.  There is an EBV-9425-D, which is 1954 239.

How well do the gaskets match the heads?

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 39 minutes ago
There are many intake gaskets available, if you buy a complete Felpro head set you will get the right gasket, However It looks to me like you need a gasket for a 1954-1955 239 Ford, get rid of that thick washer and buy the right size bolt for the intake manifold, watch that it's not to long (it will hit the pushrod) 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
The problem here is if the engine is original to the chassis (or has been upgraded to a 1956 272). Cataloging does not show the 272 being used in a truck until the 1956 model run. If it was, the description should be in a PRODUCT SERVICE LETTER.

The HD FYB for 1955 was the EBZ 256CI (CF). The LD FYB was the 239CI - EBV.

Is yours a 2V or 4V?

Are you comfortable posting the VIN here?

Do you see (or see) any CASTING NOS on the cyl head?

mytoolman
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Thank you.... YOU sir are correct...Im prone to make mistakes right now...Im not sure what is going on with me....What I have is the
 EBZ 9425-D  so this is a 239 manifold... You asked how the mating surface for the head was for the intake gasket. The picture shows the gasket that was included with the engine set. It does NOT allow the gasket to seal against the manifold I have...as you know...

The block on this truck is ECG 6015-A  I cant really determine if that is an 8 or a 6 or just casting mess... please... verify it is a 272 Y block

Gary Z. "ETTT=Ethyl*THE*Tool Truck" 1955 C600 272cid Y block T98 Eaton 1350 / "Brutus" 1972 F250 360cid FE C6 Camper Special Cust Sport/ "Edith" 1955 C600 restomod on a 2002 E550 Chassis 7.3 Powerstroke EOD/"Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 20 minutes ago
I don't know what EBZ 9425-D is but it does look like a small port.  EBV is the 239.

The block should be a 272.  You are correct that blocks have the number 6015.

Lawrenceville, GA
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Just an admin note, are there pictures on this thread?? No seeum anything here.
mytoolman
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

First let me say thank you for taking your time here to aid me. Im not afraid to post the VIN...I think its been posted before if anyone with bad intentions wants it they could get it....c60z5e26168.   
The driver side cylinder head is stamped EBZ6090L- I cant read the number  or design stamped on the underside of the passenger side head.  I have Included a photo of what shows there on that passenger side  maybe you can determine what those marks are....I did not see any other markings on this passenger side head.
The block is stamped  ECG 6015A 
The intake is stamped EBZ 9425 D  TWO BARREL with teapot 
Driver side head stamped EBZ6090L
Passenger side head has $A1 marked on its underside..see the picture I blew it up to 150 percent and could only see A1 or maybe A7 cant determine the mark just ahead of the A 

Attachments
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I couldn’t see the pictures either on my iPad, till I “requested desktop site”. Then they came up as attachments.  First time I’ve seen that.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter