Profile Picture

Thermostat bypass on FE engines

Posted By Bobwanna 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago

I apologize for straying from the Y block but I have a question regarding the FE water pump and bypass system. I have read past posts here that some of you place a restrictor in the Y-block bypass hose. I recall it is 3/16".  This modification reduces the heated water that just goes back into the block and bypasses being cooled by the radiator. This makes sense to me.

OK, on to my FE. I will need to replace the water pump in my 67 F250 with a 352. Since the bypass system is so similar to the Y I was thinking to do the same modification. With pump removed now would be the perfect time. I was wondering if any of you have done this or do you think it is a good or bad idea Thank you - Bob

AKA   Bob-93021
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I tried it and then pulled it out. Didn't find it did much. If You want to see improvement in Cooling ability 3 things work. Aluminum Rad which are now cheaper than ever on Ebay because of Competition. Multi blade Fan moves more air or electric add on Pusher Fan.if u keep your existing Fan.  Hi Flow Thermostat. I did all three on mine and Temp Gauge never goes more than a little past halfway. Even Idling. I used a 6 Blade conventional Fan Blade with no Add on.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
This modification reduces the heated water that just goes back into the block and bypasses being cooled by the radiator.

The purpose of the By-Pass feature is to have continuous coolant flow even with the thermostat completely closed. It is a safety feature.

The only reason I can think of modifying the flow rate is you have an engine that over-cools,

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I feel its a fix if you are having problems. I was with a Y and had to do everything including a smaller water pump pulley to fix it. I also put on a fan shroud which did help but not enough. The pulley was the biggest factor especially at idle. Many disagree but these engines never heated up in the 50-60's when new (and we had them) so to me it's caused by the gasoline of today especially the "summer blend" SoCal gets. I use a 1/8" hole in the plug. Good Luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Bobwanna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)

Olcarmark, Thanks for the input on the restrictor. Was that on you Fairlane or an FE application? I raised the question because my water pump is leaking and I had been running my system with cap on loose because the radiator was leaking. I have a new 3 row champion aluminum radiator and water pump going in. Along with new hoses, belts, high flow thermostat and heater control valve. Doing some much needed maintenance. After this I will assess a different fan. Although my radiator was leaking it did seem to cool just fine for my use of the truck at this time. I am thinking to add AC in the future so just want to have the basics done

AKA   Bob-93021
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I wouldn't change anything until I know how it does with everything working as originally intended first.

Lawrenceville, GA
Bobwanna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KUL, I was curious on why the bypass was 5/8. I guess to allow decent flow with a stuck thermostat.
DLR, My F250 does not overheat but it is rarely loaded. I want to get it prepared for AC and the ability to tow a car trailer on occasion.
I am with you on the original 55/56 Ford cooling.  Back in the 70's I had driven my 56 292 Club Sedan across country twice in the summer, all over SoCal and the Sierras and never had an overheating issue. I did install what was called a desert cooler 4 row radiator and car was  otherwise stock

AKA   Bob-93021
Bobwanna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie, I am thinking maybe put it together as factory built since it does not over heat even with my old leaking and corroded radiator.

AKA   Bob-93021
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Bobwanna (8/17/2019)
Olcarmark, Thanks for the input on the restrictor. Was that on you Fairlane or an FE application? I raised the question because my water pump is leaking and I had been running my system with cap on loose because the radiator was leaking. I have a new 3 row champion aluminum radiator and water pump going in. Along with new hoses, belts, high flow thermostat and heater control valve. Doing some much needed maintenance. After this I will assess a different fan. Although my radiator was leaking it did seem to cool just fine for my use of the truck at this time. I am thinking to add AC in the future so just want to have the basics done

That was on my Y block. As far as Bypass Restrictor: If the Engineers at Ford thought a smaller Bypass would help Cooling they could have easily put it into Production. I have a Thermostat Housing from a '54 that has a 1/2" Bypass Tube instead of the "55+ which was 5/8". Why was it increased in Size after 1954? Wonder why?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
KUL, I was curious on why the bypass was 5/8. I guess to allow decent flow with a stuck thermostat.
[/quote]

I guess Engineering figured the needed size. The FE is also 5/8".

It is not there to allow for a stuck closed thermostat but allows flow when the thermostat is closed. Would be a lot of pressure and coolant cavitation beating on the thermostat without it.

As for the 54 239CI, I would assume the smaller by-pass did not allow enough flow or the CLV designed engines required more flow.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter