Profile Picture

Just Venting

Posted By Jack Groat 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I bought a '56 Crown Victoria a little over a year ago.  The restoration was great paint and sheet metal wise.  Playing with a spotlight it suddenly went out, like I blew a fuse.  After that the radio, signal lights, wipers, gauges, brake lights, tail lights, and maybe a few more items I don't know about also does not work.

The previous owner said he redid every wire in the car.  He did not make a schematic.  I just spent 4-5 hours trying to find a blown fuse.  I found 3 total and all were good. 

The good news is it starts and runs and the horn works. 

Anyone have some good suggestions on tracing wiring....

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
ground is the only thing i can think of
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sounds like a major wire came off or got broken.  Do you have an after market fuse box or do you have the stock setup.  If stock, check the box on the firewall.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Since you were playing with the spot light, I would check all those wires for connections first.  Joe-JDC

JDC
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Was the Spotlight Power provided from Ignition Switch or powered without using Ignition Switch for Power? Everything that's not working is powered through Ignition Switch by the sounds of it. Just wondered where Power for the Spotlight came from. Brake Lights and Tail Lights are originally direct Power not through Ignition Switch unless rewiring the Car changed that.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Just guessing here, but if he said he “replaced the wires” that wouldn’t be the same as “retired”. I’m pretty sure the 56 car is much like the Thunderbird. Fuses inline here and there, one on the light switch, maybe even a self resetting circuit breaker under the dash.

So I’d start with the original wiring diagram. The ones in the manual are a pain, I stole this from the member listed.

“By DryLakesRacer 3 Months Ago   

My '56 had only 4 wires in that bundle. It came from behind the heater across the top center of the trans hump, it laid down beside the drive shaft tunnel on the drivers side as it came to the front seat, crossed over to the left side of the car under the left side rear passenger seat, thru the area behind the left side rear window , over the left rear wheel well and down to the left edge of the trunk held in with clips.

I did not disconnect this group when I removed my interior for paint . I removed it from the place in the car and rolled it up and attached it to a cable at the heater so the shop working on the car would not screw it up. When I put the car back together I removed the cloth loom protector and wrapped it with Scotch 33 electrical tape, put it back in the same clips, and have had no problems in 2 years

The first wire leaves the loom and goes to the gas tank level sender and the last 3 rear go back to the left rear tail light area where there are connectors. Each stop light has a wire and the rear tails and license plate share the other wire. I do not have a rear package tray speaker.

A company called "Classic Wiring" sells a laminated 11"x17" schematic of our cars with all connection points, wire colors, fuses, etc. and is a must for working on the electrics of our cars.... It's about $20”

My bird is wired with a modern fuse panel and marked wires. Also fusible links on the main feeds off the battery and alternator. I carry spares. But if I was still stock, I’d have the laminated schematic mentioned above. It should get you started. Make notes about what you find for the next time.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Jack Groat
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
After working all day today we found about 6 fuses total.  Had to remove the front seat so we could see under the dash.  Found one fuse that looked good but the continuity checker said was bad.  Replaced that and now the spotlights work, the radio works, but still no tail lights, brake lights, back up lights...  Yes, I know we are checking the ground connection....
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Are You aware there is a Fuse on end of Headlight Switch? I don't have my Wiring Diagram handy but I will check in the AM for what it Powers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

IIRC, the fuse on the headlight switch is all the running/tail lights except the headlights. If the PO picked up the spotlights there, and both fuses are blown, I’d track that down. Does it look like the wiring was redone in some fashion? Most of the 50’s era cars I’ve worked on has failing insulation even under the dash. Take a close look.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I believe  the Headlight Switch itself is a resetting Circuit Breaker for Headlights only.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter