Profile Picture

Exhaust System Size

Posted By Rono 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
What diameter exhaust are you guys running superchargers using? I had to use Ram's Horns in my coupe which have a 2" opening, but once I get past the motor mounts I want to open it up to either 2&1/4" or 2&1/2". I'm leaning towards 2&1/2", but don't want to go too big. What are your thoughts?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I'm using 2 1/2" on a moderately powerful NA engine only for the reason that it matches the header flange and it's the smallest that universal X-pipes came in.  So going off that, 2 1/2 will not hurt for yours but the rams horns are probably going to limit the potential afforded by a larger diameter.  A nice  taper to the larger diameter might help alleviate that.

I think Frank is using 2 1/2" on his F code.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Thanks Charlie, I'm planning on electric exhaust cutouts near the rear of the front fenders. Maybe I can transition from the 2" to 2&1/4" and then 2&1/2" at the Y pipe for the cutouts. Wish I didn't have to use the Rams Horns, but with those fat front fenders I had little or no choice for headers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Buzz
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
on my '56 with a Paxton SN-92 I'm using custom 4-1 headers into 2 1/2 in pipe with an equalizer tube into Magna Flow mufflers - straight out the back ... looks good, sounds great

Woodland Hills,Ca
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ron, in case you didn’t find it, here’s the link to Ted’s exhaust manifold testing, including the Rams horns with piping. Not directly comparable to a blower motor, but you might glean a little info.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic55379.aspx

When I had the 5 lb blower motor and the Red’s headers I had 1 1/2” pipes pipes the back and cutouts ahead of the mufflers at the rear of the front wheel wells. We didn’t see a big increase with the cutouts open on the dyno. I figured it was the small outlet extension on the Red’s headers.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Mike;

Thanks for that thread! I know I'm kind of stuck with those Ram's Horns (for now). I have Magnaflow 2&1/4" mufflers and exhaust on my 56 Customline and love the sound. Good performance too  Maybe I'll come up with a better idea later.

BTW, my best friend from here just moved down to Tucson in November. Do you spend your winters down there?

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
This link is from the same thread but is from page six.  This particular post has graphs showing the effect of three different sized extension pipes being used with headers.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost56021.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ron, you still at the juno address?

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
LordMrFord
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
60mm (2 1/4") feels little small for my high dynamic comp ratio engine. (305cid + 11.5/1 + 285°)

Hyvinkää, FI
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Mike;

Yes, but I also have a new gmail; ronosrock@gmail.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter